Creating an Identity

I have always been fascinated with building a club on fm with a set style of play in a way that I like to see teams play IRL.

Plenty of people have done this on fm however my (limited) success has been based around normally finding a good combo of roles and duties and signing hidden gems, but for fm20 i want to change this

The Identity

I want my team to be direct,not everyones cup of tea and I understand this has its limitations, but i want my team to get in the face of opposition, win second balls and be deadly from set pieces, with 2 widemen whipping crosses in for the strikers, think Neil Warnock, Millwall or Pulis' stoke in their prime.

Attributes

I am still not set on what system etc to use for this, however key attributes for the up and at em style of play will be bravery,aggression,fitness,acceleration, work rate, determination and decisions.

The System

Ideally i want to play a 4-4-2 with two quick wingers and two mobile frontmen, workhorses in the middle and kick it and head it centre backs, however I am aware of the limitations this has. Atm im thinking

Gk-d 

Fb-s cb cb fb-s

W-s cm-d cm-s iw-s

Tm-a pf-a

Ideally the two strikers get us up the pitch and are waiting to counter and the widemen offer some variation.

TI'S

I am really undecided here ngl. Was thinking of keeping it simple to start pass into space

Focus play left/right

Counter press/regroup (depends on oppo and players atts)

Counter (get it forward quickly)

The Issue

I cant for the life of me think of a team to do with this, ideally id like a side whos fallen on hard times and needs building back up with an old school up and at em mentality, any suggestions?...

Edited by pezza96

2 hours ago, pezza96 said:

I want my team to be direct,not everyones cup of tea and I understand this has its limitations, but i want my team to get in the face of opposition, win second balls and be deadly from set pieces, with 2 widemen whipping crosses in for the strikers, think Neil Warnock, Millwall or Pulis' stoke in their prime

So you basically want some sort of hoofball, I guess? 

Gk-d 

Fb-s cb cb fb-s

W-s cm-d cm-s iw-s

Tm-a pf-a

The setup of roles and duties does make sense for the style you want to implement. I would just swap around the 2 CMs (in terms of duties).

If you want to make it even more "hoofy", you can use one CB and the opposite fullback as NCB and NFB respectively (e.g. DCL and RB). 

TI'S

I am really undecided here ngl. Was thinking of keeping it simple to start pass into space

Focus play left/right

Counter press/regroup (depends on oppo and players atts)

Counter (get it forward quickly)

Okay, let's see... 

The counter does make sense, absolutely :thup:

Pass into space... well, I would use it rather situationally.

Focus play L/R... honestly, not. For what you want to achieve, focus through the middle would make more sense.

Hit early crosses would also be a logical choice.

You didn't mention the mentality, passing style, tempo and out-of-possession instructions. Do you have some idea or want to hear people's opinions on how these could/should be set up?

6 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

So you basically want some sort of hoofball, I guess? 

The setup of roles and duties does make sense for the style you want to implement. I would just swap around the 2 CMs (in terms of duties).

If you want to make it even more "hoofy", you can use one CB and the opposite fullback as NCB and NFB respectively (e.g. DCL and RB). 

Okay, let's see... 

The counter does make sense, absolutely :thup:

Pass into space... well, I would use it rather situationally.

Focus play L/R... honestly, not. For what you want to achieve, focus through the middle would make more sense.

Hit early crosses would also be a logical choice.

You didn't mention the mentality, passing style, tempo and out-of-possession instructions. Do you have some idea or want to hear people's opinions on how these could/should be set up?

NCB defo makes sense bit of an oversight from me, in terms of mentality i was thinking positive in order to encourage more risk = (more passes forward) using positive id probs get the pressing options on default as not to go OTT. Passing style would also be kept default but more direct passing on the fullbacks to encourage balls into the channel.

6 hours ago, pezza96 said:

NCB defo makes sense bit of an oversight from me, in terms of mentality i was thinking positive in order to encourage more risk = (more passes forward) using positive id probs get the pressing options on default as not to go OTT. Passing style would also be kept default but more direct passing on the fullbacks to encourage balls into the channel.

Okay, try that and see how it works. I am glad that you understand the impact that mentality has on all other things :thup:

10 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Okay, try that and see how it works. I am glad that you understand the impact that mentality has on all other things :thup:

Did a dummy test with millwall, wasnt great, the gaps between midfielders and strikers was too big and we werent really direct enough/when we were we werent supporting the players quickly enough

12 hours ago, pezza96 said:

Did a dummy test with millwall, wasnt great, the gaps between midfielders and strikers was too big and we werent really direct enough/when we were we werent supporting the players quickly enough

Okay. Can you now post a screenshot of the exact tactic you used in this match, so that we could discuss it further?