Should I always choose individual role training or leave on default playing position?

Thoughts from this unanswered topic 

Let's say that my player is "natural" or "accomplished" in certain position and his role familiarity is about full green (Bradley Dack from Blackburn is natural on AMC and almost full green on Attacking Midfielder). 

Is there any reason to choose individual training - role - Attacking Midfielder in AMC and raise his workload? And if I stay him train on "AMC - default playing position" (without raising workload) will he develop effectively? 

Or is this "train specific role" feature just for players with bad role or position familiarity? 

Basically when you choose a specific role/position training it can help players get accustomed to their new role. Say for example you are playing someone out of position, then this option allows you to train him to be more effective in the new position.

Whether you should specifically train him in the position or the role depends entirely on the kind of manager you are. If you are the kind of manager who loves to micromanage and wants to know specifically which attributes are being developed, then opting to choose the specific role he is being trained in allows you to know which attributes will be targeted. This can be especially useful for lower league teams for example. I could be a side that wants to focus survival above all else, and I want my whole team to develop physical attributes above other attributes. My general training sessions could be geared towards more physical training sessions. The specific player can be told to work on acceleration and his role could be a lot more focused say a poacher. Now what I have done is:

- Created a team schedule that is heavily skewed towards physical development (eg. General-Physical, Endurance - Physical/Resistance/Quickness, using more sessions like the aforementioned)
- Given the player a session that deals specifically with the attributes I want developed - Poacher ( fewer attributes wiith additional focus on Acceleration)

I may only want this player to play as a poacher in my system. What if i wanted him to do something a bit more adventurous like a Complete Forward? Then the players current ability and his attribute distribution will determine if he can play in this role. 

There are several things you need to understand:

Role familiarity - indicates how well he can perform the role based on his attributes 
Position familiarity - how accustomed the player is playing in the position.

Over time a player will get better playing in the position and in the role, this can be sped up through training and specific role training. The intensity you set can influence how hard he works on doing this. Higher intensities can also lead to injuries so paying attention to the medical centre reports can be helpful.

1 hour ago, Rashidi said:

Basically when you choose a specific role/position training it can help players get accustomed to their new role. Say for example you are playing someone out of position, then this option allows you to train him to be more effective in the new position.

Whether you should specifically train him in the position or the role depends entirely on the kind of manager you are. If you are the kind of manager who loves to micromanage and wants to know specifically which attributes are being developed, then opting to choose the specific role he is being trained in allows you to know which attributes will be targeted. This can be especially useful for lower league teams for example. I could be a side that wants to focus survival above all else, and I want my whole team to develop physical attributes above other attributes. My general training sessions could be geared towards more physical training sessions. The specific player can be told to work on acceleration and his role could be a lot more focused say a poacher. Now what I have done is:

- Created a team schedule that is heavily skewed towards physical development (eg. General-Physical, Endurance - Physical/Resistance/Quickness, using more sessions like the aforementioned)
- Given the player a session that deals specifically with the attributes I want developed - Poacher ( fewer attributes wiith additional focus on Acceleration)

I may only want this player to play as a poacher in my system. What if i wanted him to do something a bit more adventurous like a Complete Forward? Then the players current ability and his attribute distribution will determine if he can play in this role. 

There are several things you need to understand:

Role familiarity - indicates how well he can perform the role based on his attributes 
Position familiarity - how accustomed the player is playing in the position.

Over time a player will get better playing in the position and in the role, this can be sped up through training and specific role training. The intensity you set can influence how hard he works on doing this. Higher intensities can also lead to injuries so paying attention to the medical centre reports can be helpful.

Thanks for detailed answer. I very appreciate this. 

So, if I happy with my current player in his position and want him to focused on team training then I shouldn't choose individual role training (and workload are not increased)? 

But if I want him to train specific attributes for better role playing then I choose individual role (and position) training (and may be additional focus on low attributes) ?

Edited by spiritdonkey

If you are happy with his current position, and you want him to focus on team training. You have two options and both work.

1. You can choose to leave it alone and to the ass man, he chooses training based on your tactic and the position you played him in. 
2. You can choose to play him in the same position but elect to train him in a different role because you want him to get better over time playing that role by developing attributes for that specific role. Then you would choose specific role training.

Additional focus training

Here you are opting to either enhance the attributes being covered or expanding on those not covered.  The choice is entirely yours. You can also leave individual training to the ass man who may occassionally opt to give him specific player trait training too. Sometimes this can be useful and sometimes not. I personally dislike having anyone learn traits 'automatically'. For example, I could want my fullbacks to not always dribble down the flanks, electing a more pass and move style. However there are traits that encourage them to dribble. So having them learn this could run counter to how I want my team to play.

This is part of the game I like to call min-maxing value.  This takes time to master, so I recommend avoiding most traits and just learning them slowly over time. You will find  people recommending that playmakers need x,y and z or that keepers need a, b or c. Just try and understand what a trait might do and take it a step at a time. There are some guides stickied where some of us talk about combining traits and player instructions for some roles, its a good idea to check those out.

Choose the additional focus training that helps your player perform in the role better over time. Since I play a fluid counter attacking style most of the time, work rate and acceleration is important, so most of my additional focus training is geared towards that.

As far as your workload is concerned, choose the workload based on what he can handle. In most cases medium should be fine. Younger players can be heavy most of the time, and players coming off injury - you want them to be light till they have recovered sufficiently enough. Medium/heavy should be fine and something you will be aiming for the majority of players.