[FM19] All that is necessary for the triumph is evil is for good people to do nothing.

OspreyJ

Spoiler

Although this introduction is quite self-explanatory, there is something I need to ask. Is the term Ghetto offensive? If it is I can change it.

Introduction

August 5th, 2093, Brighton, United Kingdom of the Blue Order

How did we get here?

I guess it started in the 2050s. People became more radicalized, more angry at each other, more polarized. It was at this time that the Blue Order came to power. Their leader, John Campton (2006-2079), had some morbid appeal to people, his strongman politics uniting everyone, or, at least, everyone that mattered: the rich and powerful.

Like the Nazis before them, they were fascinated with the idea that there is a master race, but they held that Hitler had it wrong; 'Britons' were the master race. The Blue Order segregated cities and banned most immigration (although this rule was conveniently forgotten when 'Britons' were immigrating). They said that it made us less polarized; diversity, they said, causes nothing but pain and anger. They did not, however, segregate minorities from each other: Jews, Blacks, Muslims all live together in the ghetto. This means that we all have a tacit agreement to help each other; a victory for one minority group is a victory for us all.

That said, we don't have it the worst: people who publicly disagree with the party are tortured and killed; or, as the Blue Order call it, 'Neutralized for the good of Society'.

Football is an escape for us. All of us had a dream, when we were younger, to one day play in the top football league, although we knew it would be impossible; the leagues are segregated, and all the minorities are in the lowest leagues. The top three leagues are made up of clubs containing only 'Britons'.

Our clubs are poorer and less-financially endowed. We even had to form our own clubs, as all established clubs had become 'Britonish' clubs. Furthermore, as part of our tacit agreement, some of our clubs may have been founded by specific groups, but anyone in the ghetto is welcome: Dudley Mosque may have been founded by Muslims, but all minorities in Dudley play for them.

Technically, it is possible for minorities to join the white leagues; but there is only one promotion spot, which is not automatic but requires a two playoffs: first between the winners of the North and South Divisions, and for the winner of that, a playoff against the worst team in the Third Division. Not to mention, in each minority league, there is a far better white team, supposedly a weak club, that always crushes the minorities; the "patrol team" of the league, as we call it.

If any team has multiple players that appear to be good, the team is disbanded, under some pretext: no minority team can be better than the patrol team.

My career began in 2063, and after bouncing around the minority teams, I lead my team, Brighton Ghetto, to first place in the league. We lost our promotion playoff; three of our best players and I were fined, given five lashes in public for 'cheating,' and (most devastatingly) banned from ever playing football again. The members of the Police Team in our league were imprisoned and given twenty lashes for embarrassing the Blue Order.

After this forced retirement, I took various jobs, ostensibly in the service sector but actually teaching young men how to play football.

Today I was offered a job at the club Sheffield Ghetto. Apparently my ban from playing football doesn't extend to a ban from managing a football club. As one of the strongest minority clubs in north England, we have a real hope of winning the league if we can get past the Police Team, Middlesbrough Iron.

There's a reason we all play football, whether we know it or not: the hope that we can make a difference. Hope is really all we need; as long as there's hope for a better future, we can make it happen.

Edited by OspreyJ

After a brief meeting with my assistant coach, Jean-Paul, I decided to meet the squad.

The meeting was held in the house of Louis Tawamba, an influential defender. Upon entering the room, the players looked up at me with awe. I was a hero to them; my exploits in Brighton inspired some of them to pay football. Perhaps I should've been grateful, or proud, but I felt somewhat embarrassed: I'm a shy person.

My voice came out slow and squeaky at first, but it came out stronger as I continued to speak.

"Hello, I just wanted to introduce myself as the new coach of Sheffield Ghetto."

After outlining our goals - finish in the top half - I stepped out of the house awkwardly, and sighed. I hope the players understood.

Upon walking down the street a little, a small player ran up to me. He held out his hand, and I shook it. "Bertrand," he said, grinning. "Bertrand Tchaptchet. Sorry if we put you off there, but you're a personal hero to many of us, myself included."

"It's all right, I would've been put off no matter what."

Bertrand chuckled a little -- That soft chuckle you make when you can't tell if someone is trying to joke or not, and feel it's safer to laugh than offend them by not doing so. "Well, just to make it clear," he said, "we're really happy to have you here."

One of the other players came by. "Bertrand, you coming?"

Bertrand began to walk away with the player. "See you at training, coach."

Before I could ascertain where he was going, they ran off.

Welcome to FMS. Good to see you around these parts. :) This is a very interesting start you've got going here, and I can't wait to read more about your dystopia.

Spoiler

And 'ghetto' isn't really an offensive word here in the UK, so I'm sure it's fine to keep using it. :thup: