The Making of a Legend: The Mark Wilson Chronicles (Part Seven: Wilson loves the Old Ladies) A EURO Adventure to Hamburg

mark wilson27

May 23rd: Juventus (ITA) v FCP (POR) EURO Cup Final (Volksparkstadion, Hamburg)

So here it was my first European final and it didn't take long till my side had the first chance of the game with a long range effort from L.Sane which was well saved by Iago. On the 19th minute though FCP had their first chance as J.Viveros ran through my defence with ease and fired a F.Varela through-ball just past the outstretched arm of I.Caicedo. Twelve minutes later we had our next chance of the game as I.Coda Zabetta curled the ball into the area but M.Romero headed straight into Iago's arms. Soon after we came close to another goal with a curling effort from L.Sane which went just wide of the upright. With seven minutes remaining in the half FCP rattled the crossbar after F.Varela after beating the offside trap. On the 42nd minute the first goal of the game was scored as J.Caicedo rose high above the FCP defence and headed a I.Coda Zabetta cross into the top corner to give us the lead into the half time interval.

Half Time Score: Juventus 1-0 FCP (J.Caicedo 42)

The second half was five minutes old when I was forced into a change as D.Milenov came on for the injured M.Romero who pulled up on a run. Just before the hour mark FCP came close to levelling the scores with a thunderous effort from F.Varela which was tipped over the crossbar by I.Caicedo, from the resulting L.Garza corner A.Torres headed just past the upright. On the 65th minute we had another chance to score with M.Semlali barging through the defence and fired in past the keeper but the ball went just wide of the post. Seven minutes later we doubled the lead with M.Semlali hitting a powerful strike low and to the left of Iago to send the fans wide. However we nearly let ourselves down as straight from kick off S.Veloso ran into the area with ease but his final shot was as poor as our defending and went out for a goal kick. With three minutes remaining in the game we had our final chance of the game as D.Milenov ran onto a I.Coda Zabetta through-ball and fired towards goal but it went just over the crossbar.
The final whistle blew and my side had given me my first European trophy and give Juventus their first EURO Cup win since 1993 where they beat Dortmund

Full Time Score: Juventus 2-0 FCP (J.Caicedo 42, M.Semlali 72)

Juventus: I.Caicedo, V.Falcone (H.Bellerin), H.Romero, D.Rugani (capt), I.Gonzalez, I.Coda Zabetta, L.Sane, L.Capezzi (A.Gouano), M.Romero (inj 50-D.Milenov), J.Caicedo, M.Semlali

FCP: Iago, S.Roberto, M.Strano, Cesar, M.Romero (capt), L.San Martin (L.Garza), A.Cubas (A.Silva), F.Varela, V.Kovalenko (A.Torres), J.Viveros, S.Veloso

Man of Match: I.Coda Zabetta (Juventus)

Attendance: 51,750 (Away 25,875)