Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
uncle ron

[FM19] Zone A Marking

After starting unemployed, several months later this Englishman goes abroad as head coach of U.S. Triestina Calcio 1918 in Serie C(B) - in the city of Trieste. In 1947, Trieste was declared an independent city state under the protection of the United Nations as the Free Territory of Trieste. The territory was divided into two zones, A and B, with Trieste in A Zone governed by the Allied Military Government until 1954 when the city joined Italy. 

The club was founded in 1918 as merger of local teams "Ponziana" and "Foot-Ball Club Trieste". The club reached Serie B in 1924. The club successively featured in the first-ever Serie A season in 1929, and played consecutively to the Italian top flight until 1956. During those successful times, the team also featured the likes of local Trieste native Nereo Rocco, who played as winger for Triestina from 1930 to 1937, becoming also the first player from the team to become part of the Azzurri squad (in 1934). Successively, Rocco returned to Triestina as a head coach in 1947, and completed the 1947–48 as Serie A runners-up, only behind Torino; this is still, as of today, the best result in history for the Trieste-based club. Rocco then left in 1950 to be replaced by Hungarian Béla Guttman, who managed to save the club from relegation only in the final matchday. Another struggling season followed in 1951–52, with Triestina escaping relegation only after winning playoffs. During the 1952–53 season, Cesare Maldini made his Serie A debut as a Triestina jersey. In 1953 Rocco returned to Triestina, but was sacked after 21 matchdays due to poor results. Three more mid-table seasons followed before Triestina suffered its first relegation in 1957. Successively, Triestina returned to Serie A in 1958, but were relegated in their first comeback season, which is also their last top flight campaign to date.

The club were successively relegated to Serie C in 1961 once, in 1965 twice, and even Serie D in 1971, forcing the alabardati to a local derby with "Ponziana" in 1975 The club returned to Serie C in 1976, and was admitted to Serie C1 in 1978, and finally returned to Serie B in 1983, missing promotion to the top flight for a few seasons before being relegated in 1988. Triestina also played in second level between 1962–1965 and 1989–1991. In 1994, the team was forced to fold, because of financial insolvency, and was re-founded. The team restarted as U.S. Triestina Calcio from Serie D and was readmitted to Serie C2 by the federation one year later. In 2001, after six seasons in Serie C2, the club won promotion to Serie C1 after playoffs; this was followed by a second consecutive promotion, this time to Serie B.

On January 25, 2012 the club in strong financial difficulty, has been declared bankrupt by the court of Trieste. In the season 2011–12 Triestina was relegated from Lega Pro Prima Divisione group B to Lega Pro Seconda Divisione. On 19 June 2012 the club was finally declared bankrupt and the team was disbanded. On 31 July 2012 was founded the new company that restarted from Eccellenza and in 2018/19 is back in the third tier. 

I start with Triestina in January 2019 with the club in 13th outside the play-off places with 24 points. Expectations are clear for a play-off place (within the top 10). There's no budget and in-keeping with the club history we started the season with a 1 point deduction for financial mismanagement and we're already heading towards bankruptcy... 

Edited by uncle ron

January to March 2019

After 3 months in charge, 12 games played (W5, D5, L2), we've failed to move ahead of 13th and only 4 points off the play-out places.

The board are unhappy, very unhappy. The job is already very insecure...

2019.01 Fixtures.PNG

2019.03 Table.PNG

Edited by uncle ron

April 2019

Things go from bad to worse in early April as we move to 1 point ahead of safety with 5 games remaining. The board invite me in for talks and we negotiate I can keep the job as manager providing that I secure 12 points from 15.

The first match of those 5 versus FeralpiSalo is a 0-2 defeat, but then we win the next 3 in succession. 1 game to go...

2019.04 Fixtures.PNG

May 2019

We don't just secure the 12 points from 15, this bizarre run at the end of the season secures a 5th placed finish and play-offs.

We continue the run going with convincing 1st and 2nd round victories. Extra time was needed in the 3rd round with a goal in the 106th minute to secure a 4-3 aggregate win.

The quarters sees us play Casertana FC, who finished 2nd in C(C). A first leg 0-1 defeat as hosts, despite 34 shots, 2 disallowed goals and 60% possession. Time for the run to come to an end, but we've still got the second leg in early June to come.

2019.05 Table.PNG

2019.05 Fixtures.PNG

2019.05 Match.PNG

June 2019

The season ends with a 0-1 defeat in the second leg, meaning we remain in Serie C for 2019/20 - which is probably justified given we scraped into the play-offs.

The chairman is leaving and a takeover is imminent. 

The club are serious in debt and won't fund coaching. Given my position was precarious only in mid-April I'm considering my options despite the contract through to 2020 and have requested an extension, yet this has been refused and I've leaked it to the press...

2019.06 Match.PNG

2019.06 Future.PNG

Edited by uncle ron