Introducing the 5-2-3 Trident

My first posted tactic. It's an attacking tactic using three central defenders and three strikers, with wing backs providing width. The two remaining players are in central midfield, acting as the engines and hub of the formation. It relies on quick and technically proficient attackers, good crossers and a solid pair of midfielders. Goals will come from both crosses and through balls.

Formation.thumb.jpg.d046c2aa6820c26ab819bbb3b82f0a1f.jpg

Origins:

I started a game with Valencia, and needed a way to utilize their strengths. They have two awesome central midfielders, one creator and one typical all-rounder, and I wanted to build the tactic around them. They also have quite a few good central defenders, two promising home-grown left wing backs, and some pacey attackers. I also like to keep the squad quite light, and the formation reduces the need for backup players somewhat.

The aim of the tactic:

The aim is to create a solid defensive base, as well as a varied and potent attack. It presses hard and marks tightly, but is not a full-out gegenpress. The aim here is to leave some space to run into once the ball is won, enabling some deadly counter attacks when the opportunity arises. When the team needs to build from the back, there are plenty of passing options going forward. The playmaker acts as the passing hub, while the BBM does the dirtywork.

What kind of chances can you expect:

The tactic forces a lot of play through the middle, but since the opposition have to deal with three strikers and a BBM, this often drags their defenders inward, leaving my wing backs open for a pass wide and a free cross. The tactic is set to cross low, but you will still see both tap-ins and headers as an end product. You will also see some long balls over the opposition defense from the wing backs or the two wide central defenders, usually into space for the corresponding side's attacker to run onto (as you can see, there are 10 assists from within our own half in the last 50 games). Some goals will also come from combination play between the playmaker and the strikers, and between the F9 and the other two strikers + the BBM.

In counter attack situations, the wide strikers will often receive the ball on the run, bringing it forward before switching play with a pass to the opposite striker making a run into newly opened space.

Your top scorers will most likely be the two wide strikers.

Assist_types.thumb.jpg.458458d0c700796151d36dfa2cfee970.jpg

Goal_types.thumb.jpg.052b2c2a80f2af02f6e142e89b89c838.jpg

Results:

Won the league and cup first season, and reached the final of the Champions League (beaten by the invincible Liverpool). Leading the table and still unbeaten in January second season.

League_table.thumb.jpg.756d620d8b41cdb9ad9166b4ef9ac190.jpg

League_table_current.thumb.jpg.fc7fc348734aaabc1c0daf86dfc391b0.jpg

Matches.thumb.jpg.354f911f763d5d8ce108e48760720ea7.jpg

What kind of players do you need?

GK: Any standard keeper will do. If he's decent with the ball at his feet, that's great, but it's not crucial to this tactic.

Central Def: The two wide central defenders should have decent pace and aerial presence. It they are also decent passers of the ball, that's a big plus. The central one should be aggressive and a good tackler, as he is meant to cut into the opposition attacks and win the ball before they reach the box.

Wing Backs: Pacey and good crossers. They need to cover quite a lot of ground.

Playmaker: Good passing and vision, preferrably also some tackling skills. Pace and movement is less important here.

BBM: An allrounder. Tackling and mobility. Passing and long shot is a big plus. If you have a great tackler who's not that useful going forward, you can change this role to a BWM(def). You will lose some aspects of the attacking play, of course.

F9: Needs good technique and passing. If he has enough strength to hold the ball up, that's a plus.

Wide strikers: Your main goal scorers. Need pace, dribbling, off the ball, finishing. They will get on the end of quite a few crosses, so good heading is a plus. If you can't find the right strikers, I've found that re-training  wingers or attacking midfielders with the right skill set can prove quite effective. (I did this with Miguel Almiron and Matias Vargas)

Download: TAF 5-2-3 Trident.fmf

If you have any feedback, please comment below. I'd especially like to hear if the tactic works well in other leagues.

Edited by killerkoala

2 hours ago, Shr3kk__Wpg said:

I d/l this tactic but cannot load it. Does not show up when I look for tactics. (And yes, I know how to d/l tactics and put them in the tactics folder. I have no probs with Knap's tactics). Anyone else having this problem?

It works fine, but it's named "TAF 3-4-3 Pressing Valencia" in the list for some reason

• 2 months later...
On 27/09/2019 at 08:24, Y_Djorkaef said:

Hi , I have implemented this tactic during the season , play was really good but we had some setbacks , and lately we were struggling to score. I recon its better if I change system during pre season and give it a good run with friendlies .

Hi. If you are having trouble scoring, you could play around with the striker roles. Depending on the player, the flank strikers could also be set as AF, CF or P. You could also try changing the crossing to "mixed", if you have players who are good headers. If your team is very competent relative to your league, you could also try changing the tempo from slower to normal or higher. This might help unsettle weaker opposition. Good luck with the rest of the season!