No runs behind defence ?

a11.PNG.13d137b815dfda6704965e0ad680d856.thumb.png.4e29c0e13d65c7d53dfd67317f773a08.png

I have a simple question.

I want my players to run behind the defence, and that means, if the ball gets into the DLF, the AF, or even 1 of the wingers, i want the others to make a run behind the defence.

Imagine what Félix holds the ball, i want Zivkovic or Cervi to make a run behind the defence and penetrate into the oposition area. What i see is that, even when Gabriel holds the ball at the entrance of the opposition area, the players, even with attack duty, dont run behind the defence.

How can i achieve that ?

The first question would be is there even any space behind to defense to run in to? Playing as Benfica I cannot imagine you come up against many sides playing a high defensive line. They will normally play deep, precisely to deny you that space. Typically I only ever get a lot of space to play in when I am playing a team equal or better than me. If you want space against defensive sides, you have to create it with player movements.

6 hours ago, kurupted said:

Imagine what Félix holds the ball, i want Zivkovic or Cervi to make a run behind the defence and penetrate into the oposition area.

They are wide playmakers in your tactics, the wide players? I am not sure they would be running into the opposition area very often anyway. I do not use this role often, but I would imagine they operate from their wide starting positions and move into the AMC space behind the strikers? You may way to try a WM or IW, who will be much more willing to get forward. I typically find my IF (playing at AML or AMR) will move into the box to get through balls and the like, and the roles I suggest are most likely to mimic this.

In terms of other things to try. Work ball into box is possibly going to damp down the speculative through balls that people could run on to. You include this to cut out long shots? There are better ways to do that. Maybe do not play out of defense so much as well? The most space you will find is when you can quickly transition from defense to attack. Playing from the back is nice to control games, but you can play around with this to see what changes. Keep the short distribution options though, if you want to still not have the keeper hump the ball long.

You are already thinking along the right lines anyway. You have a thought experiments around Felix getting the ball. So let's expand on that and see where it goes. Imagine he gets the ball. Where do you want the players around him to be, and where do you want them to go? Here is one example that I could think of quickly. What I would want is the two midfielders on the right hand side to be close to him. I want to draw the AI to this side of the pitch. This is to create some space by creating an overload. So a winger on the right, and whatever role for the RCM that would get him close enough to the striker that he is a threat, I would actually play around with various roles here. An AP(S) could work. If this works, you should create space on your left hand side. I would then have the other striker (whose role again I would play around with. Maybe a poacher here, but definitely the striker with best anticipation and off the ball attributes) and the left winger as an IW(A) or WM(A) (whichever works better) to attack into this space. If I really wanted to go overboard with this I would have a BBM(S) for the LCM. Or a mezalla to force the AI to defend their right flank. In this scheme, the right hand side of the team is creating space for the left hand side to exploit. Either by crosses or by through balls.

That is just one way of looking at it anyway. There are a bunch of other ways, but it is all down to thinking about how your players will interact to make space around them .

3 horas atrás, sporadicsmiles disse:

The first question would be is there even any space behind to defense to run in to? Playing as Benfica I cannot imagine you come up against many sides playing a high defensive line. They will normally play deep, precisely to deny you that space. Typically I only ever get a lot of space to play in when I am playing a team equal or better than me. If you want space against defensive sides, you have to create it with player movements.

They are wide playmakers in your tactics, the wide players? I am not sure they would be running into the opposition area very often anyway. I do not use this role often, but I would imagine they operate from their wide starting positions and move into the AMC space behind the strikers? You may way to try a WM or IW, who will be much more willing to get forward. I typically find my IF (playing at AML or AMR) will move into the box to get through balls and the like, and the roles I suggest are most likely to mimic this.

In terms of other things to try. Work ball into box is possibly going to damp down the speculative through balls that people could run on to. You include this to cut out long shots? There are better ways to do that. Maybe do not play out of defense so much as well? The most space you will find is when you can quickly transition from defense to attack. Playing from the back is nice to control games, but you can play around with this to see what changes. Keep the short distribution options though, if you want to still not have the keeper hump the ball long.

You are already thinking along the right lines anyway. You have a thought experiments around Felix getting the ball. So let's expand on that and see where it goes. Imagine he gets the ball. Where do you want the players around him to be, and where do you want them to go? Here is one example that I could think of quickly. What I would want is the two midfielders on the right hand side to be close to him. I want to draw the AI to this side of the pitch. This is to create some space by creating an overload. So a winger on the right, and whatever role for the RCM that would get him close enough to the striker that he is a threat, I would actually play around with various roles here. An AP(S) could work. If this works, you should create space on your left hand side. I would then have the other striker (whose role again I would play around with. Maybe a poacher here, but definitely the striker with best anticipation and off the ball attributes) and the left winger as an IW(A) or WM(A) (whichever works better) to attack into this space. If I really wanted to go overboard with this I would have a BBM(S) for the LCM. Or a mezalla to force the AI to defend their right flank. In this scheme, the right hand side of the team is creating space for the left hand side to exploit. Either by crosses or by through balls.

That is just one way of looking at it anyway. There are a bunch of other ways, but it is all down to thinking about how your players will interact to make space around them .

Well, like i said, I want my 2 fullbacks hughing the touchline, with the 2 wingers playing in a more interior space, almost in half-spaces, with the Striker, trying to break the defensive line with a run and with João Félix, playing in the half-space too.

What i want is to make the others play make a run, lets see.

Capturar5.thumb.PNG.995c03324f2be45c68faeb70b9f59bae.png.043330b1ad91253dbfb575cc04298746.png

One simple example, see how those 2 are in the edges of the box, with the midfield righ behind ? Can you see how the Fullbacks are providing width ? When João Félix receives the ball, the other striker, this could be the striker or another Winger, they make a run behind the defence. Thats what i want. But in FM, what i often see, is that Gabriel holds the ball, passes, eventually one winger gets the ball but the others never make a run behind the defence, even for a simple short pass.

Your midfield as you have it set up is unlikely to behave like the Benfica one shown here. The CM(D) is going to stay quite deep, and the DLP(S) will get more advanced, but not that often. He will also be attracted to and attract the ball. Maybe try something else there. CM(S) and AP(S) for example, just to see if they get into those positions more often.

Are the front 4 players in the picture you show the two strikers plus two wide players? In this picture both the strikers are starting from deep positions, and the wingers are in the half spaces. The AF(A) is going to press against the line, so he is not often going to provide the movement I can envisage from the picture. You could try a F9 plus a DLF, or something like that. This would flood the central attacking third as in this picture, and provide space for the wingers (who definitely should be IW or WM I think).

Alternatively, you could pair a DLF with a SS in attacking midfield. The SS will start deep and make runs into space created by the movement of other players. This does lead to through balls in my experience (although I do the same with a CM(A) instead of the SS(A). Anyway this would definitely create situations that look like the one you show. Its a high risk strategy though. Pushing your midfield and full backs up that high will leave you vulnerable to counter attacks since you are gifted a lot of space.

2 minutos atrás, sporadicsmiles disse:

Your midfield as you have it set up is unlikely to behave like the Benfica one shown here. The CM(D) is going to stay quite deep, and the DLP(S) will get more advanced, but not that often. He will also be attracted to and attract the ball. Maybe try something else there. CM(S) and AP(S) for example, just to see if they get into those positions more often.

Are the front 4 players in the picture you show the two strikers plus two wide players? In this picture both the strikers are starting from deep positions, and the wingers are in the half spaces. The AF(A) is going to press against the line, so he is not often going to provide the movement I can envisage from the picture. You could try a F9 plus a DLF, or something like that. This would flood the central attacking third as in this picture, and provide space for the wingers (who definitely should be IW or WM I think).

Alternatively, you could pair a DLF with a SS in attacking midfield. The SS will start deep and make runs into space created by the movement of other players. This does lead to through balls in my experience (although I do the same with a CM(A) instead of the SS(A). Anyway this would definitely create situations that look like the one you show. Its a high risk strategy though. Pushing your midfield and full backs up that high will leave you vulnerable to counter attacks since you are gifted a lot of space.

I want precisely that, the Striker creating space for João Félix, and when the ball reaches to the players in the half-space (the wingers), the other players run behind the defence.

Archived