Some Defensive Help in a 4-2-3-1

Hey Everyone,

So i got a pretty decent tactic going with Barcelona that I'm happy with offensively, an we've been successful winning the league two years in a row, winning the copa del rey last year, and making it to the CL Final. I like how it operates going forward, but I'm having some problems with it defensively. Was hoping I could get some opinions on what might be going wrong. What I see normally happen is throughballs from deep past or over my defense. Also, opposing players have tons of space in the wide areas between my fullbacks and wingers and the fullbacks dont close down, the wingers dont, and the two holding midfielders dont. Have a few PI's like close down more on my 4 attacking players and the BBM, but otherwise none. If there's any tweaks you guys might think helpful please let me know!

Screen Shot 2019-05-18 at 5.32.26 PM.png

A few bullets from me to consider:

• No real defensice support in MC's. If you're using a BBM then try a CM(D) on the MCR
  • WB(S) can go forward but ideally you might want a more defensive role in the MCR position (see above). Don't be afraid to use FB(S/A) as they still really do get forwards when there is space in front of them. You'd be surprised but they are just more fussy about those opportunities
  • With 4 players in the top third so you really need a 'much higher defence line'?
  • Are the DC's fast? Playing a high line and offside if they are not is suicide

14 hours ago, Danklin said:

I'm having some problems with it defensively

What I see normally happen is throughballs from deep past or over my defense

Don't use much higher d-line. Simple as that. Drop it to just higher. If that does not help enough, you can tell both CBs to close down less in their player instructions. Maybe even DLP on defend could be told to do the same, but I guess it should not be necessary for a top team like Barca. Anyway, these are tweaks that can help in that regard.

opposing players have tons of space in the wide areas between my fullbacks and wingers and the fullbacks dont close down, the wingers dont, and the two holding midfielders dont. Have a few PI's like close down more on my 4 attacking players and the BBM, but otherwise none

Close down more PI for 4 front players is a good idea. But telling your BBM to do that in a 4231 system is absolutely wrong. So immediately drop BBM's closing down to standard. Because in 4231, the 2 CMs are the backbone of the whole system. Their position on the pitch must be as solid as possible, because their role in defense is as important as that in attack (if not even more). In a 4231, both CMs need positioning, tackling, work rate, acceleration, stamina, teamwork, anticipation, bravery, determination (along with the set of attacking attributes). Not each of these attributes has to be extraordinarily high, but none of them should be low either. Otherwise, don't play a 4231.

Another thing that can be an additional reason for your defensive issues is having as manny as 3 attack-duties among 4 forward players. Here you again need to bear in mind that 4231 is a top-heavy system (plus no DM), which means it has inherent potential to be defensively vulnerable. In this particular tactic, the one whose duty I would change from attack to support would be the AMC. 

Archived