Pressing, closing down....HELP!

Any help,gratefully received...

with the new tactics it’s become much clearer where the pressing starts which is great. However I still don’t really get the closing down in opposition instructions. If you have a low press but, eg, you set the instructions to always close down the opposition  full backs, where does the press start? It seems like the instructions are conflicting.

also do you close down great players to limit their abilities or rubbish players to increase their mistakes? I play with spurs on gegnpress and ask my players to close down all the opposition in the instructions but this doesn’t seem to work. 

Also......why would you not show all players onto their weaker foot (obviously excluding two footed players). It seems like a needless instruction.

thank you in advance to anyone who replies. 

10 hours ago, steam just is said:

with the new tactics it’s become much clearer where the pressing starts which is great. However I still don’t really get the closing down in opposition instructions. If you have a low press but, eg, you set the instructions to always close down the opposition  full backs, where does the press start? It seems like the instructions are conflicting.

It's an individual instruction, so they'll close when that individual has the ball.

also do you close down great players to limit their abilities or rubbish players to increase their mistakes? I play with spurs on gegnpress and ask my players to close down all the opposition in the instructions but this doesn’t seem to work. 

It's a two edged sword. It might limit the space players have, but if not set up well enough, it could also increase the space for players. If your players close down someone, they're leaving space behind them, obviously. This is where tinkering can become important.

Also......why would you not show all players onto their weaker foot (obviously excluding two footed players). It seems like a needless instruction

Remember - you're showing them onto a foot - that funnels them somewhere. That could create problems of its own. What if you force a AMR, right footed winger inside but he outpaces your fullback? Now there's an overload in the middle. Do you have sufficient midfield cover? There are lots of little examples like this.

I'd say if you have issues tactically, it's worth asking in the tactics forum. There are plenty of people there willing to help or advise on questions like this.  :thup:

Archived