Defending against a 4-2-3-1

I am getting hammered from the wide attackers crossing for headers in the box, but I play 4 at the back so surely the 2 centre backs should easily mark out the single striker, while the IWB should mark out the wide strikers.  Has anyone got any idea of if it's better to play wide or narrow defence versus this tactic and do you man mark the wingers?

Both strikers as AF??? Huh!

Okay, I'll try to give you some suggestions defense-wise. My teams are generally very good at defending, which is no surprise given how much attention I pay to defense. Of course, I cannot give you complete advice, because it would depend on the quality of your players (not only defenders), style of play and particular opposition. Anyway, here are my basic principles in terms of defending (adapted to your 4222 system):

- mark tighter PI for your both central midfielders (not specific position or player, just mark tighter)

- against 4231, I would tell both wingers to mark opposition AMR & AML positions (not players)

- opposition instructions against 4231: always mark tighter and show onto weaker foot for their striker and AMC (positions, not players); close down always their wide forwards (AMR & AML positions, not players); always mark tighter their fullbacks (positions, not players); show onto weaker foot both central midfielders (positions, not players); show onto left foot their right back (position) and show onto right foot their left back (position)

So these were positional OIs. Player-related OIs depend on the type of particular player. Against fast and/or technical striker, AMC and AMR/L - easy tackling.

Showing onto foot for opposition AMR/L would depend on both their strengths and your defenders strengths and weaknesses (are your CBs better at defending crosses - jumping, positioning, marking, strength, balance, bravery... or through balls - anticipation, acceleration, positioning, pace, agility, balance, concentration...). The same goes for defensive width (if you aren't sure, play on standard DW).

Player OIs for their playmaker or particularly good and creative midfielder - always mark tighter, always close down and show onto weaker foot.

That's all I can tell you based on the info you provided. Unfortunately, it could well prove insufficient. Because the way your team play (mentality, team instructions and to some degree player instructions) will also very much affect your defensive performance.

10 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Both strikers as AF??? Huh!

Okay, I'll try to give you some suggestions defense-wise. My teams are generally very good at defending, which is no surprise given how much attention I pay to defense. Of course, I cannot give you complete advice, because it would depend on the quality of your players (not only defenders), style of play and particular opposition. Anyway, here are my basic principles in terms of defending (adapted to your 4222 system):

- mark tighter PI for your both central midfielders (not specific position or player, just mark tighter)

- against 4231, I would tell both wingers to mark opposition AMR & AML positions (not players)

- opposition instructions against 4231: always mark tighter and show onto weaker foot for their striker and AMC (positions, not players); close down always their wide forwards (AMR & AML positions, not players); always mark tighter their fullbacks (positions, not players); show onto weaker foot both central midfielders (positions, not players); show onto left foot their right back (position) and show onto right foot their left back (position)

So these were positional OIs. Player-related OIs depend on the type of particular player. Against fast and/or technical striker, AMC and AMR/L - easy tackling.

Showing onto foot for opposition AMR/L would depend on both their strengths and your defenders strengths and weaknesses (are your CBs better at defending crosses - jumping, positioning, marking, strength, balance, bravery... or through balls - anticipation, acceleration, positioning, pace, agility, balance, concentration...). The same goes for defensive width (if you aren't sure, play on standard DW).

Player OIs for their playmaker or particularly good and creative midfielder - always mark tighter, always close down and show onto weaker foot.

That's all I can tell you based on the info you provided. Unfortunately, it could well prove insufficient. Because the way your team play (mentality, team instructions and to some degree player instructions) will also very much affect your defensive performance.

That's really helpful, I note the 2 x AF !!! comment.  I'm trying different tactics but I can only ever get one striker to score but I like 2 strikers :(

1 hour ago, sunchymeno9 said:

I note the 2 x AF !!! comment.  I'm trying different tactics but I can only ever get one striker to score but I like 2 strikers

You can play with 2 strikers, but you don't have to play both in the same role and duty. For example, one can be AF, and the other DLF on support (this combination is recommendable, but there are others that can also work nicely). But you need to consider your strikers' attributes, traits and stronger feet when deciding which roles to give them. And the performance of your strikers does not depend only on them, but on whole tactical setup.

Archived