Away tactic advice

What changes do people make away from home? 

I'm playing as Leicester and started to pick up points at home but struggling in away games. Seem to play ok in away games but struggle for goals and then concede a goal almost out of nowhere. 

Usually I'd play a more defensive mentality away but I'm already playing cautious counter attack and not scoring so I'm reluctant to go more defensive

Away games are a sort of "broad church" just as are home ones. I mean, playing away against the weakest team in the league is (arguably) less challenging than playing at home against the strongest. So it would be a kind of oversimplification to sort your tactic(s) into just "home" and "away" respective categories.

2 hours ago, Paulronnie77 said:

Usually I'd play a more defensive mentality away but I'm already playing cautious counter attack and not scoring so I'm reluctant to go more defensive

There are a number of different ways to play any basic style of football, be it counter-attacking, patient possession or direct attacking. In other words, please post a screenshot of your tactic :)

As for roles and duties, I would make just a couple of small tweaks to give you more penetration in attack. For example:

DLFat or PFat

Wsu                                                IFsu

CMat      DLPsu

ACM

FBsu/IWBde      CDde     CDde      WBsu

GK/SKde

Of course, this is just a suggestion to give you some basic idea behind my tactical reasoning. You don't have to literally use these particular roles in each single position. Consider your players' attributes and traits when making this type of decisions. And always take care to have sufficient and proper defensive cover for players who are getting forward more.

Your defensive (out of possession) and transition team instructions look quite nice to me. Perhaps you could move your DL just a notch up (to standard), in order to avoid inviting too much pressure on your back-line. On the other hand, you may sometimes lower pressing intensity to standard (medium) in order to preserve more stable defensive shape (or manually reduce pressing for your defenders and anchorman via PIs).

In possession, I would look to be a bit more direct in terms of passing. I guess the reason you opted for low crosses is that you have pacy forwards, right? You might also consider early crosses on occasion, but not necessarily (use them when it really makes sense based on what you see watching a match).

Regarding player instructions, I always recommend tighter marking for the midfield trio (DM and both CMs), to put more pressure on opposition midfield and thus both make it harder for them to build up play and increase your chances of winning the ball in areas from where a quick counter can be launched.

The lone striker can be told to move into channels and roam from position, which should reduce his potential isolation by giving him maximum freedom of movement. Other potential player instructions would depend on characteristics of your players, which I don't have sufficient knowledge about (unless you provide some more screenshots).

Of course, if you have any questions or suggestions, you are welcome :thup:

That's really helpful thanks,  I'll have a play around with that. 

Yes,  Low crosses are because all my forwards are relatively small,  but fairly quick. 

I've got my lone striker on DLF su at the moment because he was too isolated,  but I'll try the suggestion in the midfield to try to get CM at a bit closer to him

3 hours ago, Paulronnie77 said:

I've got my lone striker on DLF su at the moment because he was too isolated,  but I'll try the suggestion in the midfield to try to get CM at a bit closer to him

Another option is to play a winger on attack along with the DLF/PF on attack. The difference in the setup would be minor:

DLFat/PFat

Wat                                             IFsu

BBM      DLPsu

ACM

FBsu/IWBde   CD    CD        WBsu

GK/SKde

As you can see, I've changed just one role and 2 duties :)

Here BBM can be told to get further forward, whereas the striker would only move into channels (without roaming from position). Of course, there are other possible options that would likewise include very little tweaks to roles or duties (e.g. IF on attack, but both winger and DLF/PF on support)

Archived