Beating Liverpool

In my first season as Wolves boss and Im doing well except when I face Liverpool. No matter what formation or tactic I use Im getting thrashed. Can anyone recommend a formation and tactic that stops Van Dijk and Henderson rattling in 40 yard screamers.

• 2 weeks later...

Defend wide so they have will difficulty overloading you on one side then switch play to the other side. Close them down more because their players can hit long shots. Counter them on the flanks as they will concede lots of space when they attack with their full backs (pass into space, exploit their flanks). Training tips: wide defending, defensive positioning or defensive shadow player, and chance conversion as you won't get a lot of chances in the game so make sure when you do, these chances count.

Liverpool always use extremely urgent pressing, and their squad is fast, which make their pressing very effective. As to counter this, you have to be faster when in possessing. So it is better to take fast players in your first 11, and use faster tempo (maybe also more dribbling). In defense, it is nearly for sure that you have to set the defend width to be narrow, as their attacker not very good in heading and jumping, but their CMs and wingers can make threats a lot in central the pitch. If your defenders and CMs are good and fast, you can use high defending line but normal pressing urgency to try to stop them at the first time. Or you can use low defending line with little higher pressing urgency, just like preset fluid counter attack tactic. Most important: 1. Never try to park the bus as you usually can not hold long; 2. Never try to use slow tempo or hold the ball instruction, as it is not possible to hold the ball easily.

Archived