[FM19] Southampton | Turning the Ship Around

Saintmat

5 hours ago, kevhamster said:

Amazing stuff!  Well done on the title win - something we can only dream about in real life lol.

I'd be interested to see what happens after the 5 years if you're happy to post about it.

Can you even imagine...!

Ok great, I'll do a post on that then too :) 

24th May 2023 - Europa League Final 

estadio-benito-villamarin.thumb.jpg.109b8c86f7636280e3bde8b3c6754a67.jpg

Estadio Benito Villamarin, home of Real Betis. We have visited here before, back in April 2021, when we lost our away leg to Betis 5-3. Not a great omen.

Our opponents are Marseille. L'OM are a young team, with some standout experienced players dotted throughout the team. Their talisman is Flaurian Thauvin, who will be leaving for Monaco at the end of the season. The 30 year old has scored 11 goals and taken 18 assists in the league this season. He will be the one to stop by the looks of things. A number of promising newgens are around the squad, and looking at their results it may be slightly unpredictable which team we get. They nearly always play 4-4-2, expect in the semi final where they beat Chelsea using a 4-2-2-2. They finished 3rd in the league, but a long way off the mark of Monaco in 2nd and PSG in 1st.

Those paying attention will recall this was the destination of young Yan Valery last summer. Sadly we are denied a reunion here, as he is injured. They are also without Lucas Oscampos, who seems to be the other big threat.

Lineups.thumb.png.dcfbc100506c36e13abe56d659236310.png

My lineup includes Dick Leatemia, as Matt Targett is not quite fit enough for this game. I decide it will be best to save him for the FA Cup final, and I have him on the bench in any case. Otherwise the team is as usual. Here we go!

10:00 - A cagey opening. This hasn't been a classic so far. Thauvin shows his teeth, curling an effort at Jaramillo from a good 30 yards. It is caught comfortably, but highlights the danger he poses.

14:00 - Marseille are very.... Burnley like. Two banks of 4. Regimented positioning. They sit deep and wait for us to come forward. Leatemia gets a cross into the box which Haland can meet, but without any great deal of power. I switch Matt West to play his role more aggressively.

16:00 - A little more like it from us. Ings traps the ball from a throw in, lays it off to Ward-Prowse who fires it at their keeper. It is well tipped away.

18:00 - We are growing into the game now. We get a shot or two away from the first one, then win another after approaching down the right. Marseille are diligent and getting bodies in the way.

19:00 - Fekir this time, gets the ball in a yard of space, turns, shoots and it is blocked by Strootman. We're stretching them nicely.

25:00 - CLOSE! We continue our siege, and after a shout for a penalty take yet another corner. Panzo connects with the ball, and it crashes against the foot of the left hand post. So unfortunate there.

26:00 - Marseille win a free kick within shooting range. The young striker Kabangu steps up, whips it over the wall and against our post. A warning sign for us - but then - the clearance comes out to Ings, who turns, advances and waits for Haland to underlap him. He does, and the pass from Ings sends him a little wide. Haland is quick though, the Marseille defender steps in........ PENALTY! Haland will take.

27:00 - COOL AS YOU LIKE! Haland passes the ball straight down the middle of the goal, as the keeper dives to his right. Never any doubt. :cool:

35:00 - Marseille seem to be playing for time here, not really threatening a great deal. We advance once more, but then Nabil Fekir pulls up with an injured hamstring. Drat. That will be him out for the FA Cup final. Mario Lemina comes on in his place (instead of the unfit Hojberg).

42:00 - Marseille try to play a little, and we very nearly punish them for it. Some great movement from Danny Ings gives Passlack space on the overlap. A cross field ball from Matt West finds the German right back, but his effort is blasted over the bar. He hasn't scored for us this season, and you can see why with that effort!

HALF TIME: A good first half, but I can't help but feel this Marseille team are dangerous. Thauvin is more than just a winger, he's an all action playmaker. He wins the ball and plays the ball. Kabangu clearly can hit a free kick too. I need to be careful not to give them an opportunity to get back into the game. I ask the players to stay on their feet, and switch Leatemia to a support role rather than an attacking wing back.

45:00 - Straight out of the blocks Thauvin means business. Moving across our penalty area at speed, he lets one off with his left foot. It curls just outside the post. Another warning sign. Let's not get any more of those.

49:00 - They are moving the ball nicely here, we seemed penned in. A cross from the left meets that man Thauvin again, but his header falls a long way wide of the far post. My assistant manager tells me they have switched to an attacking approach and with more creativity. You can tell!

53:00 - I remove the instruction to stay on feet - we need to win the ball back here. I also switch Danny Ings to a pressing forward on defend.

54:00 - Great chance! A ball from Leatemia finds Ings at the far post, but his header just goes wide.

58:00 - Matt West has struggled out there today. Thauvin is doing a number on him. I bring him off, and bring on the right sided version of West - Stephen Hunt. The formation switches assymetry. Their left back has looked a little dodgy today so hopefully this bears fruit.

61:00 - Hunt is involved early. He wins a tackle on the right, puts in a great ball for Haland. Honestly he should do better with it, as the ball comes back off the keeper. Ings has half a chance to shoot on the rebound but can't put it away.

67:00 - We have a corner from the right, taken by Ward-Prowse. The ball goes into the far post, where Hunt is lurking. The aforementioned dodgy left back heads it back across goal and BANG. Haland meets it, sending the ball back where it came from and towards the top corner. 2-0!!

68:00 - From the kick off Thauvin takes the ball and tries to run at us. Tyler Adams comes crashing in with a tackle any American should be proud of. Sit down, shut up.

69:00 - We have a free kick which Hunt can get his head onto. Its well connected with, but does not trouble the keeper.

74:00 - The last five minutes have been well controlled, and we cause a little more chaos with set pieces. This time the ball is nearly headed out by Yayi Mpie, but Adams wins the 2nd ball and releases Diakhaby in the box. The defenders shot is hit with power, but parried over by the Marseille keeper.

76:00 - I look at the team and decide to make my third subsitution. Tyler Adams is flagging, and I want him to save some energy for Saturday if possible. Hojberg comes on to sit at the base of our midfield. A little bit of experience here should do us some good. Hopefully his lack of match fitness does not become an issue.

78:00 - AH ****. It's a disaster. Jaramillo recieves the ball from Panzo, but his first touch is heavy. Kabangu crashes in and makes it 2-1. Just what we didn't need.

87:00 - Somehow we stay on the front foot for the next 10 minutes or so. Marseille make their roll of the dice. Two forwards come on and they are now playing a 4-3-3. I could do without this stress quite frankly. I switch up our formation to an orthodox 4-5-1, but ask the team to continue to play positively. Hopefully we can catch them with a swift counter and put this game to bed.

90:00 - Phwoar! Danny Ings nearly kills the game for us. Its in the back of the net, but sadly he is offside from Hunt's cross. 4 minutes of added time to play. CMON BOYS.

94:00 - Marseille are not used to their new system. The hit the ball long to the forwards but we are steadfast at the back. Hojberg is less disciplined than Adams in his position, and a couple of times we nearly find ourselves caught out. Thankfully nothing comes of it. A long cross field ball to their new LB (also dodgy), is badly miscontrolled and it goes for a throw in. A picture of the game for me. Marseille clearly have talent, but the majority of the team did not turn up today. The final whistle blows. Tears roll. Trophies are lifted........................ :D

Victory!.thumb.png.d0ec496df9c98f5c4e60a082c50fe2c9.png

167981360_TheDouble!.thumb.png.ae0f38a0a57df48e5df4e175e25c57a1.png

27th May 2023 - FA Cup Final

Just three days after our heroics in Seville, we face Man Utd once again in the FA Cup final. It is frustrating to play the same final opponents for a third time, but they have been hands down one of the best teams in my game so far.

Pellegrini is under some pressure. They have not brought in any silverware, and the wheels definitely were coming off at times this season. This will be a big game for them as well as us.

Preview.thumb.png.d57c6ccecb1a4a61b0100103c954b586.png

To compound matters further, we are going to be without Fekir and Jankewitz, our chief creative players. United meanwhile have a full bill of health, and have had a full week to prepare for this game. The first 7 players on the teamsheet will be predictable, but the front 4 could be made up of any combination of Bernardeschi, Dybala, Isco, Hazard, Bailly, Felix, Rashford, Martial, and Lukaku. So planning ahead will be difficult. Despite beating them at home in January, we have a dreadful record against them in general.

Long story short, the odds will most certainly be against us here.

Lineups.thumb.png.9969fc0972d091cedee4295d40d2d3da.png

The strategy today is to play on the counter. I want to keep it tight at the back in the first half, and I will look at playing more attacking in the 2nd. This is partly driven by the absences of Fekir and Jankewitz, but I have opted for a slightly adjusted shape - 4-1-4-1. Ward-Prowse has not played out wide for me for a couple of seasons at least, but I am hoping he will help keep Martial marshaled. Hojberg is not match fit, but is my best bet in central midfield. He offers more bite than Armstrong.

2:00 - We win a corner, and Diakhaby meets it at the back post, but it goes harmlessly wide.

10:00 - Dalot puts in an early cross from the right, and Rashford gets to it on the 6 yard line. Thankfully the ball screws wide. We are struggling to get the ball up the field in the opening stages. United are happy to keep the defensive players back, and let their talented forward line do the heavy lifting. They have enough quality from just that to punish us.

13:00 - Paul Pogba recieves the ball, turns, and drives the ball down to Jaramillo's right. 1-0 United. There's not a great deal we could do there. Ward-Prowse was close to him, but not close enough. There goes my tight first half. :seagull:

18:00 - We have a free kick, which is headed clear to West on the left hand side. The ball comes back into the box to Wilson, but he is completely swarmed off the ball. We win a corner at least.

32:00 - The game is all United, but we have restricted them to few good chances. Konradsen gets the ball and curls it, but Jaramillo can get behind this one.

36:00 - Dybala comes forward unopposed, Martial picks the ball up on the left wing and a cross comes in for Rashford. The effort is tame, he is being well marked by Targett. But the header squirms towards Jaramillo. It's an FM goal, as it bounces off the post, then Jaramillo's foot, dribbling over the line. Why does the match engine always save these for the big occasions!

Formation1.thumb.png.85cd9fa65aa95e17142f996f4cdb8d9f.png

40:00 - Ok, a change of approach is clearly needed here. I abandon the 4-1-4-1. It has done little to stifle Man Utd, and we are not going to score if things stay as they are. Wilson has looked a lonely figure, so I push Matt West further up field, and get Ward Prowse to play an attacking advanced playmaker role in the center. We move to a more positive approach. If we can get a goal before half time, we might be able to salvage something from this game.

42:00 - IT PAYS OFF STRAIGHT AWAY! We win a corner, our first since the start of the match. The ball is headed clear to Lemina, who shoots. His effort is blocked by a defender but the rebound falls to Diakhaby in space on the right of the box. He hits a Cahill esque volley which smashes into the back of the net. 2-1, GAME ON!!

45:00 +1 - United nearly restore a two goal cushion. Martial meets another deep cross from the right, but can only glance it wide.

HALF TIME: Well, that could have gone better, but it wasn't an unmitigated disaster at least. Clearly we need to offer more in open play up front. Haland was not fit to start this game, but if we are going to win we need him on the field. Wilson is not a great lone striker, so he comes off for Haland. I also make a second sub, taking West off and bring on Danny Ings. It is not a great position for Ings, but his industry on the left hand side might be crucial. I tell the boys to prove they are winners. I hope they do me proud!

48:00 - We field another United cross, then get a short bit of possession. We are moving the ball nicely, but Panzo receives it and plays a rushed back pass to Jaramillo. This lost us a goal in the Europa League final, but thankfully this time it only goes out for a corner. I switch his instruction to ball playing defender. Perhaps if he is a little more forward thinking, next time that ball goes in the other direction.

51:00 - Dybala whips a free kick wide this time.

57:00 - We are playing ok, but still conceding chances. Shaw hammers the ball at Jaramillo, who can parry it away. It's an improvement on the first half from us, but we need to do more. I remain patient for now.

63:00 - A superb set piece from Isco, drops for Martial who is unmarked about a yard out from our goal. Somehow, his header is straight at Jaramillo. That was a let off.

64:00 - Right from that corner, Benkovic meets it and the ball is scrambled in by Rashford. 3-1. Gutting.

65:00 - Hojberg is showing his lack of match fitness now. I am forced to bring him off for Armstrong. If we will make it to extra time, this 11 will be the ones to do it.

79:00 - I have reverted to our traditional attacking approach. We need two goals in 10 minutes. United make their first sub of the game, Bailly on for Martial. I'll be honest, it feels as though this one is a bit beyond us.

81:00 - Passlack gets up and puts a great ball in. Ings is there, but the angle is tight and the finish not good enough.

87:00 - We have a corner from the right, Diakhaby makes it to the ball. His header goes towards goal and is turned in by INGS! But no - it is disallowed for pushing. Without that break, getting anything near 3-3 is a long way away. My last roll of the dice is to switch everything to the max - and pray. 

92:00 - No dice. Full time is blown, the players sink to their knees. They gave it all, but this was a step too far for them.

A disappointing way to go out ultimately, but such is life. It was always going to be a tall order. At least I can look back on a Premier League title, and a Europa League victory. An incredible achievement really.

Result.thumb.png.0565fffcd6f2083623307f1eab6d83dc.png

5 Years Later

So, what happened next.

Year One (2024)

Understandably the team start to break up. Matt Targett is sold to Chelsea for £47 million. By January, Danny Ings, Mario Lemina and Stuart Armstrong have all departed. The new man in town is Diego Simeone, quite the coup! Further more, the board go big. Eden Hazard and Christian Pulisic are signed. Most of my young prospects go out on loan to develop. The team has a solid, if not unspectacular season, finishing 4th. Erling Haland and Nabil Fekir finish in the top three goalscorers for the season. Considering what the AI normally manages, I am impressed it has not all fallen apart already!

1220428899_TeamS1.thumb.png.245b3f2bcfdcbcdbc77081a1f62a0eea.png

841078098_TransfersS1.thumb.png.17de0ce1cecc7dcb8e477b43a6ff7da7.png

Other News: So a few days after I resign, Pellegrini decides his time is up too. He becomes director of football at Man Utd and they hire Max Allegri as the replacement. Things don't go so well for Max, he is sacked after 200 days in charge and replaced by Antonio Conte. They eventually finish 3rd. The summer see's Euro 2024 come around - incredibly Ukraine win. 

Premier League: 4th place finish.

445165699_TableS1.thumb.png.daf5939cc2cac27a5feef8e4ee3d34d9.png

FA Cup: Out in Semis (vs Arsenal)

League Cup: Out in 4th Round (vs Man Utd)

Europe: Lost in Round of 16 to Bayer Leverkusen.

Year Two (2025)

A small degree of further change in year two. My all-American action hero Tyler Adams is sold to Wolves :( Incoming is Bernardo Silva, and a few promising newgens. This time the club can't quite make Champions League qualification, finishing 5th. There is more FA Cup final heartbreak, becoming runners up once more. Simeone matches my Champions League run the Champions League semis. Fekir has an incredible goalscoring season. More and more of my former players are being pushed to the sidelines now. One breakthrough prospect, Rochel Bantaba has broken into the first team this year and scored 13 goals in all competitions. One to watch.

1182853396_TeamS2.thumb.png.dcfa74493529355d00acf1d7b55a8f47.png

1494241130_TransfersS2.thumb.png.882d06134ae83273b08e5ffdbf33135e.png

Other News: Man City (now under Ancelotti) go on to win the Champions League, after beating Saints in the semis, for good measure.

Premier League: 5th place finish.

216135335_TableS2.thumb.png.43960c5bad247ff18dddd0cb627ab91c.png

FA Cup: Runners up (vs Arsenal)

League Cup: Out in 3rd Round (vs Man Utd)

Europe: Out in Champions League semis (vs Man City)

Year Three (2026)

Probably the least successful season so far. A 6th place finish and no cup run of any description. The team are fully a Simeone team now. In the transfer market, Panzo, McCrorie and Fekir all depart. The club spend £89m on Alessandro Gallotti, an Italian striker from Roma. He proves a hit straight away. One of my signings, Westerberg, has established himself in the first team now.

626369718_TeamS3.thumb.png.4b0e1800462fbf2715e6e5b162922314.png

1006177741_TransfersS3.thumb.png.60b1cd1b8de2556b28838133d9db641a.png

Premier League: 

902877843_TableS3.thumb.png.139ddaeb4de9be25146857749f05ea99.png

FA Cup: Out in 5th Round (vs Wolves)

League Cup: Out in Quarter Final (vs West Brom)

Europe: Out in 2nd round (vs Liverpool)

Year Four (2027)

My team is almost completely dismantled now! Hojberg leaves for Bournemouth. Jankewitz who wasn't getting any game time departs on a free transfer. Jaramilo and Jonsonn are sold off. The club sign a center back from Spurs for £101m! The investment pays off, and they make their way back into the Champions League. Bantaba is starting forward now. Gallotti finishes top scorer. Four years after I leave they win their first trophy too, and in the Europa League again!

2046799191_TeamS4.thumb.png.65a22e580db928763e49bf41e3be84a6.png

593661277_TransfersS4.thumb.png.4aae88c4c781a1f46ec74744cb206cbb.png

Premier League: 4th place finish.

1017810523_TableS4.thumb.png.34209677fd8f7afbdc5f6ed5b2f97951.png

FA Cup: Out in Semi Final (vs Man City)

League Cup: Out in Quarter Final (vs Leeds)

Europe: Winners! (vs Dortmund)

Year Five (2028)

Just 7 players from my time remain at the club now. Most have been sold on, or released. It gets results though.... Saints finish in 2nd place and are the Champions League winners! Simeone leads them to victory (finally) over Man Utd in the final. A fitting place to end I think!

Winners!.thumb.png.384588fb4f566740fcf1aa3151603f66.png

1228312169_TeamS5.thumb.png.4f1e2cf7cbdcdd3104244a3c85b29644.png

1529572246_TransfersS5.thumb.png.6d00948974394410a57db2b3feda3b90.png

Premier League: 2nd place finish.

1335933611_TableS5.thumb.png.d985196e7621fd24206f69c86f895620.png

FA Cup: Out in 4th Round (vs Liverpool)

League Cup: Runners up (vs Man City)

Europe: Winners! (vs Man Utd)