Football Manager on iMAC 5K 2017 ?

Hey guys, does anyone play FM on an iMAC 5k 2017 ? I am interested in getting this machine (or possibly the next one after release if its worth it), but I am just curious how the game runs on it. In terms of performance, how many leagues can it handle on the iMAC i5 or i7 ? (im probably going to opt for the i7 if the increase in performance translates well into FM). Also I would be interested of how the game looks (visually) on a 5K display ? Does it scale well if I zoom a lot, etc ? Any sort of feedback would be much appreciated. Have a great day.

P.S If you do own an iMAC and it's not too much to ask, could you please take some photos with your phone of the machine while running the beautiful game, just so I can have a better ideea of how it actually looks.

Unfortunately I've only got a MacBook Pro 15" from 2015 ( 2.2 I7 processor, 16GB Ram): an iMac with I7 from 2017 should be slightly faster.

I'm running 19 leagues with 50.000 players without any problems. I'm sure that an I5 doesn't make any big difference.

The main bottleneck is 3D as sometimes games are stuttering ( on medium settings).

Therefore with a 5K display I would consider first to invest in a better the graphics card as your screen will be massively bigger and needs some serious work :)

38 minutes ago, Hansaplast said:

Unfortunately I've only got a MacBook Pro 15" from 2015 ( 2.2 I7 processor, 16GB Ram): an iMac with I7 from 2017 should be slightly faster.

I'm running 19 leagues with 50.000 players without any problems. I'm sure that an I5 doesn't make any big difference.

The main bottleneck is 3D as sometimes games are stuttering ( on medium settings).

Therefore with a 5K display I would consider first to invest in a better the graphics card as your screen will be massively bigger and needs some serious work :)

@HansaplastThanks a lot for the reply mate. Im actually really impressed by the fact that you can run so many leagues on the i5. In terms of graphics, if Im not mistaken, you are running Intel HD Graphics (integrated). Now, the iMAC i want to go for, has a very powerful video card, the Radeon Pro 580 which has no issues running GTA V on iMAC 60 fps full HD resolution. I am sure, graphics power will not be an issue whatsoever. Do you run the game straight from the Steam Library or through BootCamp ?

MacOS or Windows

I'm running FM on MacOS - no bootcamp.

(A trick if you play on MacOS is to use Steam in offline mode. Otherwise Steam is consuming a lot of computing power.)

The amount of leagues is no problem at all. I'm sure that I could also play with 30 leagues.

The slowest part of the playing experience is saving: how is it possible that saving on SSD is so slow??

MacBook

A drawback is that even in Steam offline mode the Macbook gets rather hot and therefore I'm running the fans constantly on highest settings: better safe than sorrow :lol:

That's the problem with the QuadCore. A lot of power for such a flat piece of tech but it's much hotter than the Macbook 13" I had before.

I've got an Iris Pro. It is supposed to be much better than the standard Intel HD.

I'm sure that the Radeon will be much better but in my age I enjoy playing on the couch :kriss:

Archived