Improvements and help for my 4-3-2-1 :)

The intended tactic is mainly based on possession and exploiting the middle. I am aware there is a gaping hole between defence and midfield, but it doesn't seem to offer too many issues until playing bigger teams, at which point I'd bring a midfielder back. At the moment the tactic is mostly working, until I get disassembled by better teams and away from home. Any improvements would be appreciated as I am very new and thus tactically naive to fm. Thanks.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.jpg

Welcome to the forum :).

A couple of quick questions.  You are playing as Werder Bremen?  How are you performing in the league compared to your Board's expectations?

Just in very general terms, the Control mentality - despite what it says in game - is actually a relatively high risk mentality to use.  By adding in Push Higher Up and Close Down more you're actually increasing that risk even more.  To see what I mean, save your game (so you don't mess things up), open the Team Instructions window, clear everything, and then watch how lots of TIs change as you alter Mentality.  Once you've seen that, just reload your game save.

There are also a few other TI oddities which may not be necessary such as Look for Overlap (which encourages wingers to look for an overlapping fullback, not central midfielders) and Playing Narrow with a narrow formation, but that's just fluff.  Start by thinking about how you are performing against Board expectations.

1 hour ago, herne79 said:

There are also a few other TI oddities which may not be necessary such as Look for Overlap (which encourages wingers to look for an overlapping fullback, not central midfielders) and Playing Narrow with a narrow formation, but that's just fluff.  Start by thinking about how you are performing against Board expectations.

Don't want to sidetrack this thread, but I never knew that Look for Overlap only applies to wingers. So does that mean it's completely redundant on my strikerless tactic?

6 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

Don't want to sidetrack this thread, but I never knew that Look for Overlap only applies to wingers. So does that mean it's completely redundant on my strikerless tactic?

It's main function is to instruct wide players, not central midfielders, to hold up the ball for an overlapping fullback.  It can also slightly increase the fullback's mentality so not completely wasted if that's the intention, but if you're expecting central mids to look for an overlapping fullback then that is redundant, yes.

As an aside, imo this TI is perhaps the most useless TI anyway.  If you want a fullback to consistently overlap a wide player ahead (or even a central midfielder), just give him a relevant PI or alter his role/duty.

1 hour ago, herne79 said:

Welcome to the forum :).

A couple of quick questions.  You are playing as Werder Bremen?  How are you performing in the league compared to your Board's expectations?

Just in very general terms, the Control mentality - despite what it says in game - is actually a relatively high risk mentality to use.  By adding in Push Higher Up and Close Down more you're actually increasing that risk even more.  To see what I mean, save your game (so you don't mess things up), open the Team Instructions window, clear everything, and then watch how lots of TIs change as you alter Mentality.  Once you've seen that, just reload your game save.

Hi, I am indeed Werder Bremen and am meeting expectations in mid table at the moment (8 games in).  I have altered my defensive line and closing down so as to be more conservative.  It is not that I'm having no success with this tactic I am looking for some improvements, especially in terms of player roles and how they all synergise to be more effective as I have never encountered these mechanic before.

19 minutes ago, reinlv said:

Hi, I am indeed Werder Bremen and am meeting expectations in mid table at the moment (8 games in).  I have altered my defensive line and closing down so as to be more conservative.  It is not that I'm having no success with this tactic I am looking for some improvements, especially in terms of player roles and how they all synergise to be more effective as I have never encountered these mechanic before.

It's great that you're at least meeting expectations :).  It means that whilst there can always be improvement (some degree of ambition is a good thing) what you're doing at present with your tactical set up is good.  With personnel improvements results should start to change on their own (organically) :thup:.

I actually like the balance of your formation, roles and duties - and knowing that sometimes you bring a midfielder back deeper shows that you have a sound grasp of at least some ability to adapt to situations.  Whether you realise it or not you are on the right lines, which is great especially as you are new to the game.

As the saying goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it.  So if you do want to tinker, don't make drastic changes.  As you say you highlight issues you have against the big teams or away from home, consider that risk element I mentioned above.  There are some very good and very pacey sides in the Bundesliga who might take advantage of that high defensive line and/or your wingbacks getting caught high up the pitch for example.  Perhaps a small change to the def line or even adjusting your mentality in these situations may help.

One other thing to pay attention to.  When you alter Mentality, you not only change your overall team risk and Team Instructions, but also individual player mentality.  To see what I mean, select one of your wingbacks (for example) and open up his Player Instructions screen.  In there you will see a Mentality bar.  Note how full it is.  Now head back to your main Tactics screen and change the Mentality to, say Defensive.  Go back to your wingback's PI screen again and now look at how full the Mentality bar is.  See the change?  This bar gives you an idea of how forward thinking or attack minded each of your players will be.

4 minutes ago, herne79 said:

It's great that you're at least meeting expectations :).  It means that whilst there can always be improvement (some degree of ambition is a good thing) what you're doing at present with your tactical set up is good.

I actually like the balance of your formation, roles and duties - and knowing that sometimes you bring a midfielder back deeper shows that you have a sound grasp of at least some ability to adapt to situations.  Whether you realise it or not you are on the right lines, which is great especially as you are new to the game.

As the saying goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it.  So if you do want to tinker, don't make drastic changes.  As you say you highlight issues you have against the big teams or away from home, consider that risk element I mentioned above.  There are some very good and very pacey sides in the Bundesliga who might take advantage of that high defensive line and/or your wingbacks getting caught high up the pitch for example.  Perhaps a small change to the def line or even adjusting your mentality in these situations may help.

One other thing to pay attention to.  When you alter Mentality, you not only change your overall team risk and Team Instructions, but also individual player mentality.  To see what I mean, select one of your wingbacks (for example) and open up his Player Instructions screen.  In there you will see a Mentality bar.  Note how full it is.  Now head back to your main Tactics screen and change the Mentality to, say Defensive.  Go back to your wingback's PI screen again and now look at how full the Mentality bar is.  See the change?  This bar gives you an idea of how forward thinking or attack minded each of your players will be.

Ok, I see what you mean. I'll keep that in mind when adapting to games, thank you very much for your help :) 

Archived