Training multiple formations & Team Instructions

Hi guys

I'm looking for a tip regarding training different formations & team instructions.  I tend to have just 1 formation - a 4-2-3-1 with 2 DM's and my midfielders on the midfield line rather than the AM line.  In some matches I will shift the DM and Midfield line up one so it is now 2 CM and my 3 ahead of them will be on the AM line - my question is - should I just be making these amendments to the single formation, I should I have the 2 formations running concurrently.  What are the advantages and disadvantages of both?

Also, I tend to have a number of preset Team Instructions saved for my formation - I will have all the different mentalities (apart from Contain and Overload) saved in the presets with my changes (eg drop deeper, time waste for Defensive), and depending on the opposition I will choose the appropriate one for that match and make any amendments needed.  Are my players training to get used to the 4-2-3-1, or are they also getting used to the mentality / team instructions I assign.  If this is the case, should I really be looking for more consistency in Team Instructions to increase familiarity?

Thanks

You can see in the Tactical Creator screen that if you move a player from, say, the midfield line to the AM line there's a small but perceptible drop in tactical familiarity. So moving multiple players will cause a larger drop, but I couldn't honestly say how much that will impact the performance on the pitch.

I usually create a base tactic with standard/flexible mentality and shape, and then add more defensive and offensive versions in the other two tactics slots. Through pre-season and the first couple of weeks of the season proper, I set match prep to match tactics, and then when familiarity gets up to around 90%, I switch to teamwork and leave it there for the rest of the season. Seems to work for me.

Archived