Growing at the Edge of the Forest

Mikado911

An unknown Japanese manager takes over the worst club in England. Thanks to @Dan BHTFC wonderful database I will attempt to climb as far as possible while relying only on our youth. One caveat, I start with signing all gray players in my U18 on the first day on the job.

02E8AA0152B40533606A08B5D85C62310969ADA1

2017/2018 Preview

We play in the Mid Sussex division nine which contains 9 other teams, all reserve teams of higher clubs. We also compete in three cups. The Mid Sussex Junior Cup which fields teams from division 5 to 9 from Mid Sussex and the Brian Hall Challenge Cup and the Tester Challenge Cup, two small cups featuring teams from divisions 8 and 9 only.

9721346AC709865765BFF374C868483B1A352F88

A first season in the unknown but we should be able to win the league and go up. Maybe a good run in one of the cup. The team looks bad, the coaching staff worse so any advice would be highly unreliable.

2017/2018 Midseason

A47AA980BDBEAE82815A6ED3ABE3ACBFA6698BDC

Championship:

We are the kings of the draw. Despite being quite solid defensively, we have been unable to win games. Already down 9 points in the standing, we will need some dramatic turn of events to challenge for the top.

The players seem to hate each others guts and definitely do not play together. Maybe not enough emphasis on team cohesion or a side effect of using greyed converted players. Unless it is a consequence of the manager not being able to speak a single word of English?

Cups:

Quick exit in the Mid Sussex Junior Cup as we got badly trashed in the first round. Still surviving for the two minor cups. One round passed in the Brian Hall Challenge and two rounds in the Tester cup,

Off the field:

Managed to get the first coaching badge approved by the board but nothing else worth mentioning.

2018 Youth Intake

11D39AD77BC80E2AEE97E41A953B751E3A5BBCB6

We finally got some much needed fresh blood at the club. And I am.... slightly disappointed.

While we are so bad that everyone look like they have a chance to play, there is no clear saviour that could propel us to the next level.

At least, Joe McLoughlin, Waide Ash, Adam Hawkes and Andrew Daniels go directly to the first team. Interestingly, we got a greek second nationality. No idea where it comes from.

(I forgot to take the screenshots at the time but they will be more detailed in 2020).

2017/2018 Season Recap:

FACDA848DAB034FB8D5220532C97F163111DA50DD1782B81657CFE78FD214AD1344E4C1B014C8046

On a global note, the season has been slightly disappointing. Probably largely due to me mishandling the first half. A tactical shift from a 4-4-2 to a 4-1-2-3 at mid-season really helped turn the team around.

The team finally seemed to gel but the final run saw us end just short after a thrilling end of the season.

6D4BF6EFFCC871BC289798F9F95E7013242D72BF

League:

We were right in the mix until we dropped two points inexplicably against Fletching. Things seemed a bit dire but hope was coming from the division above. Crawley United was struggling one division above which meant that their reserve team will be unable to get promoted. With two games to go, we needed a defeat either from Ashurst Wood (playing Crawley United) or from West Hoalthy (playing Fletching) to get our destiny back into our hands but both drew. We then needed a win against West Hoalthy and at least a draw from Ashurst. They did not falter and we are stuck in division 9 for one more year.

Cups:

After our quick exit from the Mid Sussex Cup, we still managed to survive the Brian Hall Challenge but got eliminated without playing well. The Tester Challenge Cup was a winning campaign highlighted by a win in a shootout with Crawley United that ended at 3-3 after a crazy scenario. Taste of things to come next year as we will face each other in the league.

Transfers:

Obviously no recruits but our backup keeper got unhappy about not playing. After a heated discussion, I told him he was free to go. Our president probably overheard and just fired him on the spot. I would have liked to keep him around a bit longer but fortunately we managed to play the rest of the season with only one keeper.

Off the field:

Nothing worth noticing. I managed to get the National C license but that's about it. No money means no upgrades.

2018/2019 Season Preview

Second season in the Mid Sussex Division 9. We need to get promoted this year. Our main rival should be the only other first team engaged, Crawley United.

55821E9354893A7146BD80A0455CF65FE1A8C3A9

The team should be up to the task. My main concern is the defence which is paper thin. Honestly, only Rees Atkinson is a valid option at centre back. On the other hand, we have a clear surplus of left wingers. I don't know it will pan out but I expect Andrew Daniels to be our first true prospect to have a serious impact.

2018/2019 Mid-Season

League:

Strong start of the season from Crawley United. As expected, they should be our main contenders this year. We had our first epic meet which ended strangely:

-  3': 1-0 Fairwarp : Kieron Westley victoriously heads in a cross from Christos Koudas.
 - 84': Penalty for Crawley United : Glyn West pushed a little Chris Browne on a corner kick.
 - 85': 1-1 : Eoin Cohen transforms the penalty.
 - 93': Penalty for Fairwarp : Big foul of Mitchell Mills on Bryn Baxter and Fairwarp has the opportunity to win it.
 - 94': Stephen McTiernan hits the cross bar. Endgame.

Apart from this missed opportunity, we have been pretty solid. We played Iffield Galaxy II twice and we do not seem to like them with 1 draw and 1 loss.

Cup:

Everything is okay on that front. We are through in the three competitions but another duel with Crawley United awaits us in the Tester Challenge Cup.

Transfers:

Poaching is starting. We lost our number two centre back, Matty Cotterill to Chessington K.C. We were already pretty bad in the back and this will not help. Hopefully, Glyn West seems to develop nicely.

Off the field:

I obtained the National B badge and our finances are getting better. I am hoping for some upgrades soon.

57C4EA44F8C49C079B937C204002E0E62936507F

2019 Youth Intake

00D1DA1162F3194BEFC4530AFB4B1009390186F1

Another so-so intake despite our upgrades in youth coaching and recruitment. Pete Morgan is our best youth according to the staff but I disagree. Nobody is good enough for the first. We received our first Japanese however, kind of a Lilliputian striker!

2018/2019 Recap

League:

First with five games to go, we managed to lose against Crawley United after leading by one goal and them playing with only ten players. We follow with a no chow against AFC Hurst II that puts even promotion in jeopardy. But we righted the ship and the late collapse of Crawley United, including a loss against their reserves on the last day, saw us through for the title and we will play in Division 8 next year.

Cups:

A disappointing exit in the Tester Challenge Cup against our new nemesis Crawley United. No goals scored during regular time but Crawley gets a man sent off. We scored early in extra time before collapsing and seeing Crawley score two despite being dominated. Raging!

In the other cups, we bring home the two trophies with a memorable final of the Brian Hall Challenge Cup. Our best goalscorer, Nathan Fitzpatrick, decides to leave the club one week before the final. I decide to put Adam Carruthers in on the left wing. The young prospect was developing nicely but did not fit the system so well and started getting angry for not playing enough. Maybe he was right? 3 goals and 3 assists later, we win 6-0.

BC63C930B56E4406D3B4F937438A5CE7115FA59FAD341044D0D3C2826F230CB3A4F37B740759C083B5AB1677CF626F8C7EB9151B32456D70B8D09A07

Transfers:

Poaching from semi-professional clubs continue. We lost a useless backup, Roland Fearn but also our two best players so far, Richie Taylor and Nathan Fitzpatrick. Fortunately they both play then wings and strikers, where we have a lot of depth so this should not affect us to much on the long term. On the other hand, the players I would like to unload continuously decide to stay at the club, especially Bryn Baxter who is always unhappy with training despite not having any individual training. Probably the worst personality I have seen in the game. I might have to take some drastic measure and start firing.

Players:

Huge season from Nathan Fitzpatrick and Richie Taylor before leaving us but Andrew Daniels is ready to take charge now with Adam Carruthers as a support. This means we will have to go back to a 4-4-2 base for next season.

Off the field:

The biggest satisfaction of the season. The president accepted to put the developping youngsters philosophy in the club and promptly granted some upgrades to youth coaching and recruitment before agreeing again after the end of the season. After getting both National B and National A, he also agreed to let me go get my Continental C badge. I probably no longer look like a complete incompetent.

Archived