"We are no Ferdinand"

Rien102

Penny was entering the club building a little before noon the day after with, still for all to see, the face she had in the bus yesterday night.   She had trouble sleeping; it didn’t help the mood also.  She went to her office, and started to go through her emails.  About ten minutes later, the phone rang. “Hello?”

-          You still coming for lunch at 12:30?” It was David.

-          Yes.” She answered.  David Hung up.

“Sigh!” let Penny out of herself.  She knew he would have gotten a board meeting this morning.  It has been moved because one of the member couldn’t be available Thursday night for the regular board meeting.  She wasn’t really concerned about her job, the club was still doing better than expected but she knew budgets would have been a major talking point today, not mentioned the state of the pitch that was degrading rapidly.  As she was getting up to go to the meeting, the phone rang again: “Yes?” after punching the freehand button on the phone.

-          Hi Penny, this is Bruce.

-          Hey Bruce, I’m leaving, make it short.

-          I just wanted a confirmation for the interview next Friday.

-          I should be there.

-          Ok, thanks!” and he hung up.  Penny had said the Bulls radio she would make an extra interview to the Bulls radio to do a first review of the season.  At least, she would not have to go through make-up like that FA thing next Wednesday. 

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“For improving the youth level, the board and I will ask you to give us a little more time for that.” was saying David.

-          Why?” asked Penny.

-          Some members of the board are convinced it is not worth it, especially with the League 2 objective in five years.  They think, and I can understand the argument, that the chances to get someone good, that would be ready to play at the level we should be at that point, was pretty slim at best.

-          I can’t say it pleases me but I understand their point too.

-          As for the pitch, they could agree, if you really want it, to do it right at the end of the season but, following the financial predictions we have at this point, they can’t say yes to the improvement of the training facilities at the same time.  We studied this option last year and the budget necessary to improve those is around £440k .This mean you would need, as a balance, £470k at the end of the season, at minimum, to give a go to the project.

-          What is the balance right now?

-          £142k.  I asked some prediction numbers for you.  Accounting say that to have a £470k balance at the end of the season, here are the conditions. First, the actual average attendance of 3300 must be kept.  Second, FA Cup run should, at least, be up to first round with one match played home. Third, we reach second round in FA Trophy competition, with 2 games played home.  All those combined should give us a £475k balance.  Naturally, this holds up if the wages budgets don’t fluctuate in any way, of course.

-          So basically, you tell me I must go one round higher than the minimum expectation in both Cup and Trophy?

-          Yes, in a nutshell.  In FA Cup though, we should reach that, no?

-          Well, we play King’s Lynn, they are one division lower, yes, but we play on their pitch.

-          Anyhow, if you are able to keep us above 10th place on the league table, the average attendance would probably go a little bit higher.  I know what you want and don’t ask Penny.  I would strongly suggest you concentrate on the training facilities and forget the pitch for this year.  Ours should hold for another season.”

Penny was weighting the advice.  She would have loved to get the youth level, if only to have a U23 and make it easier to have a bigger roster while maintaining the physical condition of all.  The training facilities though, they are at the very top of her list because right now, even the local gym is better equipped in most areas!

Penny was sitting in in the chair, feeling very uncomfortable.  She was sensing that the sweat was starting to form under the make-up, and was doing all she could for not scratching to relieve herself from the itch that was… just… there.  The damn interview hadn’t even started yet.  Paula was still telling her to relax, that it was going to be easy and other cheap advices.  “Thirty minutes and I’m bolting out of that chair so fast!” was all Penny could think of.

“Penny, could you tell us when you knew that football was your passion?” finally started Paula.

-          My dad would probably say during the 1990 World Cup.  I can still see, clearly, the main stadium, the plays and all.  I watched all the games I could.

-          How old were you at the time?

-          I was 6.

-          That early?

-          Yes.  And I knew I already loved the goalkeeping part of the game too.

-          Why is that?

-          I was seeing those big grown-ups in front of those giant goals and it struck a few cords I guess. When I was a little older, when I started playing in leagues, I can recall being so happy to being handed such big responsibilities.  I was the last defender.  When you are 8 or 9, at least for me, I was seeing that as an immense vote of confidence and I didn’t want to disappoint the grown-ups who were giving it to me.

-          You never wanted to be a forward at all?

-          No.  Since I was little, I only the saw the forwards has “doing the show” but the most difficult job was for the goalkeeper in front of his goal.

-          Did you have an idol at the time?

-          Seaman of course.  When I got older, it was Fabien Bartez, the French goalkeeper.

-          Why Bartez? Any particular reason?

-          It was during the 1998 World Cup, I pretty much watched all the games of all the countries but I liked the way Bartez was doing the job.

-          What do you mean?  Was he playing a specific style, doing technical moves or something like that?

-          No.  What struck me with Barthez, at least the times I was seeing in on the telly, was his way of not talking but speaking a lot with his arms and mimics.  Inside his box, organizing his defenders, I was only seeing him say two or three words at a time, and his eyes were showing so much determination and... aggression.  I was thinking “If I’d ever score a goal against that guy, I’d be scared he’d kill where I stand!”  I loved that! […]”

For thirty minutes, Penny accepted her faith, telling things she thought were common grounds for anybody who’d love something, who’d have a passion.  Paula was ecstatic though, telling her Penny was so open and talkative.  That it was exactly what they were looking for!  Penny left without saying anything; clearly she didn’t understand a single thing about the whole thing then.  She was already brushing all this aside; she had another interview to do, this time, there was no make-up (thank god!) to wear since it was with the Bulls radio.

“[…] does that thundering start got any impact you think?” said the radioman to Penny.

-          In some way, yes, the opponents comes in a little more defensive.  We are still doing well though.  With that second draw, we slipped off the play-offs spots but we are only one point behind the fourth spot.  The season is still pretty young with eleven games played so far.

-          How do you explain the fact the Bulls only got one win in the last five games?

-           There are multiple factors.  Those last two games were away games against teams that are still pretty good. Alfreton Town and Stalybridge are excellent teams nonetheless and to get draws like that on their pitch, those were good results after all.

-          Some are thinking you were playing too conservatively against those two.

-          Maybe.

-          Is there anything you are proud of when it comes down to the team as a whole?

-          The possession, we have an excellent possession so far and we are still in the top 5 for the least goals scored against, despite the successive injuries to two of our main players on the defensive line.

-          Is there anything you think improvements needs to be done?

-          Shots on targets, definitely!  We have some problems there, for sure.  I think though a good portion of those off targets shots are bad luck.  I can’t even count the number of those close calls from inside the box.

-          Shaun Okojie is having a great season so far, being the best goal scorer in the league.  You think he can maintain the pace?

-          I sure hope so.  He is so tall, powerful and jump so high, he is a great target for crosses.

-          Speaking of tall and powerful and a great jumper, some are questioning the fact you don’t play him as a target man.

-          He still has some growing to do in some key areas to become a good target man but, as a DLF, he is doing quite well, don’t you think?

-          Can’t say he’s not!  Next question now, what do you think of Josh Barnes performance in the goals so far?

-          I think he is giving us a chance to win every game.  With five clean sheets in ten games, he is a great asset and, even better, being so young, there’s room to grow.  He can become an integral part of the team.  I am very happy to have signed him! […]”

The interview finally over, she started the drive back to the club.  If there was something really nice with that guy, it was that he played ball ever since the first time she was put on the air: he never talked about the gender thing, always talked of football!

POS

TEAM

PLD

WON

DRN

LST

FOR

AG

GD

Pts

1st

AFC Telford

2nd

Boston Utd

3rd

AFC Fylde

4th

Kidderminster

5th

Nuneaton

6th

Spennymoor

7th

Darlington

8th

Hereford 

9th

Blyth

10th

Harrogate

11th

Tamworth 

12th

Stalybridge

13th

Stockport

14th

Chorley  

15th

Alfreton 

16th

Chester  

17th

Stourbridge

18th

FC United

19th

Bradford PA

20th

Kettering

21th

Solihull Moors 

22th

Guiseley 

“He is still winging the training sessions and his attitude is spreading inside the squad!” Penny was pissed and the training reports review with his staffs wasn’t a pleasant one for sure.

-          Look Penny, he is still playing good.” answered Sam.

-          I don’t care!  I want him in here right after lunch and there will be two options: he changes right now or he’s out. Period!”

Sam and Jack didn’t argue.  They clearly saw that there was no possibility to make her change her mind.  They just took a little note to ask the player to come here after lunch and continued the review.  At least, one of the players straightens himself up but, at the same time, another started winging the trainings.  The behavior was starting to spread because three other players, all young high potential, were now under the influences of those, what she called , bad apples.

After the lunch, Penny, flanked by both coaches, met with the player.  It didn’t went well, to say the least.  He then left and Penny was fuming, for all to see. “Alright then, I’m calling the clubs, telling all he is available for a big fat nothing!  If none wants him, he’s out.  Plain and simple!” she said.  Jack and Sam just shrugged, knowing there was nothing to do or to say.

She got a phone call from Braintree to ask some questions about the player but, in the end, they didn’t make any offer.  She then called Jeff, from accounting: “Hi Jeff.

-          Hi Penny, what can I do for you?” he answered.  Penny told him to prepare the paper and money transfer in the budgets to fire the player.  “All will be done by the end of the day.”

The next morning, Penny gathered the players before training: “He is gone now, fired, because he thought he was too good so he could come here, take his paycheck and wing things.  Well, now you know what will happen to you if it is what you are thinking too."  She sure hoped the message would be clear to everyone.

Later that day, she got a call from a reporter about the firing.  She said three words: “He’s lazy.” Then she hung up.

“That was a nice goal!” Penny was saying Dean (Rance).

-          Thanks boss, it was one of my nice one for sure!” he answered.

-          I hope you don’t mind me pulling you out?  You was a bit too, euh, enthusiastic?!

-          There’s no problem boss.  That yellow I got was, I must admit, fully deserved.

-          Thanks for understanding.”  Penny punched him lightly on the shoulder.

She then went into her temporary office, adjacent to the dressing room.  “At least here it is bigger than a broom cupboard!” she thought.  Sam was already there.  “To go through that defensive line was still something, damn!” she told him, coming in.

-          We knew a 4-2-1-3DM would have been difficult.  We got their offensive number though, real good!” he said.

-          You can say it for sure!  They got only one shot on goal and it was on a DFK.  We still take too many shots from outside the box though.

-          It’s definitely a problem.  I think we can’t create enough good chances so, feeling they are out of options, they shoot.

-          You think so?

-          Well, we’ll need to look further when we have the full stats but I think a fair number of those shots were taken right in front of the goal, with a good angle but with their two DMs, there was a LOT of pressure.

-          Ugh…. This is an understatement!

-          There is something nice though.  I think something just clicked between Dean and James (Carvell).  The quality of their passing between the two of them was simply excellent.  Support plays, of course, but they really displayed that they now know where the other is on the pitch, without really looking.”

That was good news indeed.  Cohesion was still not at the level she wanted.  Penny knew that she couldn’t do anything more then what she was actually doing.  Well, at least she had just met the FA Cup board expectations; they were going in the 4th qualification round.by beating King’s Lynn.  She only hoped she would finally play at Edgar Street because so far, she only had played on others pitch.

Penny was, again, doing paperwork whit the FA Cup draw in the background.  At some point, she thought she’d missed the team but, finally!  Hereford was named as the home team of the 30th pair (out of 32).  The opponents would be Morecambe, VNL.  She quickly went on the Conference website to look at the table: good news!  They were in relegation area: 22nd place.  She quickly asked Sam to come in her office and then she made a phone call to Richard Marshall, to make sure he would do a good scouting report with the size of the pitch in the report.

“Our schedule is really gonna get screwed up!  It’s like winter crunch in October!” said Sam.

-          Tell me about it!” answered Penny.

-          Guiseley are moved one week because they have to play a second leg in FA Cup Qual. Round and Blyth gets pushed away so we can play our FA 4th Qual round on a Saturday.  We now have 5 games in fourteen days…

-          Our rotation will need to be good, that’s the starting point.  At least it’s not a top flight VNL team we go against.

-          I know.  For sure I want to have the best starting eleven to meet them.  We’ll need to plan the rotation with that goal in mind.

-          We know we’ll have Andy (Jackson) for the game.  His re-education time is over and he can come back in regular training.  Max (Melbourne) is back this morning too by the way.

-          That is good news; we’ll have two of our best back on the pitch.

-          We still do the pre-match prep for Chester this afternoon?

-          Yes,” Sam then went out of the office.  Penny went back to her paperwork.

She was having trouble concentrating, she was only thinking about that rapid succession of games in front of her that would start next Saturday. Those two major injuries combined with that concussion almost at the start of the season was making her weary.  Not to mention she was starting to think her “We are no Ferdinand” comment was coming back to bite her butt…

Everyone was giddy in the dressing room.  Penny was smiling to them but inside of her, she was worried.  For sure that 5-1 win against Guiseley would be/was good for morale, especially since they meet Morecambe in the FA Cup in four days, but all she was seeing in that match was the fact that they only stopped lining-up draws.  If it wasn’t for her back-up goalie making an awesome game, with seven shots blocked and a great distribution, all she was seeing was those 15 shots total Guiseley made.  Over half of them were from outside the box and it was her B team defense on the pitch but still, Guiseley was dead last with no wins at all since the beginning of the season.

“Only six of our own shots were from outside the box Penny, that’s something” Sam told her in the office.

-          Maybe so, but they literally had no defense to speak of, getting outrun almost every time.

-          With Andy and Max on the field, it will be easier to play very aggressive close to our box.

-          I know, but I think we’ll need to make our midfielders more engaged on the defense, especially if they come at us with a pesky 4-1-2-3.

-          The real danger from Morecambe, I think, will be their left winger.  I went to watch some of stats and matches and he is fast, agile and way good at dribbling.

-          Tomorrow, I’d like to see if it would not be better to play our 4-1-3-2, going low block again.  With a DM, our D line should be a tad lower by default, no?”

Driving back home, Penny was trying to clean her mind off the game.  She’d gamble on today’s game just to get the best starting 11 fresh for the Morecambe game, to the point of even putting her best goalie on the bench to give him a rest.  Tonight’s result was awesome, no question there.  At least, it would leave some of the media off her back for a little while now that she didn’t get another draw. “Yeah, like they’ll stop nabbing at you huh?” she thought as she was turning in her driveway.

Wednesday morning was spent not only thinking of the ways to win Saturday’s match against Morecambe in FA Cup, not at all.  She barely had set foot in her office that one player, than another, came in to complain about their play time.  They both were back-ups and were from the “old team”.  She managed to brush the problem aside by saying how long the season was but she would need to do something about it.

Once her player situations got straighten, she finally had the chance to talk tactics with both Sam and Jack.  The scouting report was analysed to the hilt, with Richard being on the speaker-phone .  Going into every single little detail they could go to.  “Since they got nailed so often early in their games, I am inclined to say we should push real hard right at the beginning, I almost say, going all out “said Jack.

-          Since most goals come from crosses too, maybe try and bomb both their flanks with our full backs too.  Our 4-1-3-2 should give us some security.  Maybe not go both sides all match but if we would go at them hard at the beginning, it could be a viable option” added Sam.

-          Their defenders are good jumpers” answered Penny.

-          Then let’s go on the ground, quick and fast crosses.  20 of 24 assists against them came from the sides anyway.

-          I agree with being extremely aggressive right at star, going for both flanks.  Once we try and fail that strategy, what to do we do then?

-          I’d say to go our basic game, low heavy hard block, long balls from the FBs and make sure they can’t do anything in the midfield” answered Jack.

-          We still have two players that COULD play right wings right?” added Sam, thinking out loud, “why not try an asymmetric approach and then play on the right side.  So Max could be used as a WB on attack on the left and our wingman on attack on the right.  I don’t really don’t like asymmetric systems but at the very least, we could be putting pressure on both their flanks and still keep our right protected by a regular FB and make sure our DM is defensive to protect the left side.  Not to mention, the 4-3-3 we are working on, it could be another option too,”

Penny, didn’t like asymmetric systems either, thought it wasn’t a bad solution, for a last ditch effort.  She was happy though because this morning talks gave her some options to go onto during the match. 

The crowd was noisy, and numerous!  Over 5200, out of a 5710 possible, peoples came to Edgar Street.  Morecambe started the game hard, doing intense pressing on the midfield.  Both teams being only able to get one shot each in the first 15 minutes.  The battles in the midfield, with tackles, blocked bouncing passes and interceptions were numerous.  Penny was starting to think about bringing back her flanks to their usual stance when a long ball was sent on to Max (Melbourne) that was bombing the left side.  Just as he crossed the box line, he made a little cross to Josh (Mitchell) who scored a goal!  The Bulls were leading 1-0.  The crowd was wild and Penny was shouting to her players to fall back and prepare themselves for the counter attack.  At the end of the first half, Morecambe only had that early shot on goal while Hereford had three more.  No less than nineteen fouls had been committed so far, both teams combined.  The battle was raging with lots of players getting caught out of positions and then fouling to stop the play.

At half-time, she made few changes other than telling her boys to hang tough.  As soon as the second half started, the battle raged even more.  Morecambe racked up the pressure even more on the Bulls right flank.  On the 54th minute, Penny pulled Owen (Gamble) who had just been booked close to the Bulls right box.  Tareq (Shihab) came in.  If only one yellow had been given in the first 45 minutes, at the 55th minute, already three had been distributed by the referee!  Morecambe did some changes on the 60th minutes than another on the 70th.  They were putting a lot of pressure now and all Penny could do was to ask her boys to hold on, to be disciplined.  Max (Melbourne) got booked on the left flank and she immediately replaced him, she couldn’t let a player already warned on the pitch, too scared of ending up with only ten players on the pitch. In the last fifteen minutes, Morecambe was able to shoot 8 times but none were quality shots.  When the referee finally whistled the end of the game, the Bulls had prevailed!  The crowd, who had been clinching to hope, cheered the players wildly!  Penny, on the sideline was taking a deep breath.  The lack luster, but really dirty, match was finally over and she had won!  The Hereford Bulls was going to the first round of the FA Cup!

For Penny, the satisfaction was great, for sure, but something else was present.  She was now more confident than before about the possibility to go far in the FA Trophy competition.  She had won against a VNL team, she could do it again.  She just knew it!

That Sunday was a good.  Other than last night’s win against Morecambe, it was also because it was the first real family day for all, since Penny had given a day off to everyone, including herself.  When she came back to work early Monday morning, she had her head full.  Those two games this week would be decisive, she just had that feeling.  First, it was Blyth and then, it was Boston Utd: 7th and 2nd place on the league table.  It would then be AFC Telford, the actual 1st place holder but that match still was 12 days away.  “It will probably be moved” she thought, “Saturdays are for FA Cup matches”.

They all worked on the match plan for tomorrow the entire morning.  It’s only in the afternoon that she thought about the FA Cup draw.  She went to the web site and, if it was against Rochdale, middle of the table in League 2, she was happy to see it would be played at Edgar Street.  Saturday November 9th was the designated date for the game.  “Well, the Telford match wasn’t moved!” she said to Sam.

-          We’ll have the crowd for us.  I think they were a 12th man on the pitch against Morecambe.

-          It was pretty inspiring, I must admit.” answered Penny.

As she was driving home, she was worried, more than usual she admitted herself.  The week ahead was a though one, just to be followed by another one.  The only difference between the two would be she would have only one game next week.  “A win against Blyth followed by two draws would be a very good streak” she thought, “especially since we are on the road this week.”

Arriving home, she found Mark and Britanny in the living room, working on a new sign for her.  “Daddy says that the other one is too old now!” said Britanny to her mother who was reading the new, brightly colored sign saying “Go Bulls!”

-          “You think this is better?” asked Penny.

-          Daddy said that everyone knows it by now, that you are my mum, and he will stop wearing his shirt too, the one you said was stupid!”  Penny laughed at that one.  Britanny was good at relieving stress!

November 1st, it was the training review.  Jack reports showed one thing she liked:  the players seemed to have understood the message.  To her delight, no one had slackened off this time.  Even some players improved noticeably.  Best of them was Micthell (Glover), a young winger that she uses as an AMC who got a sudden growth.  Making a show (more than ordinarily), she called each players one by one into her office (she always did that but now, she consciously made a show of calling them in with a big smile) for a little congratulating talk.

The last week, despite the three days off she gave to the players, because of that little crunch and also because they were able to nail draws both at Blyth and at Boston United.  The Blyth wasn’t what she was hoping for; they had lost the win in injury time of the second half, a real heartbreaker.  She, on the other hand, had had a busy week.  She had been able to sign a young prospect that was playing midfield.  He had decent attributes at best but had good potential and, but he wanted nothing less than a three years contract, at least he was asking for a little salary overall.  It was to compensate for the one she had fired.  She was also able to get a mutual termination from two players from the old crew that just didn’t cut it.  Both were unhappy about their play time and she couldn’t afford to make them play just to keep them happy.  It had cost her 17.5k total but she considered it was a pretty good bargain to keep the peace.

Next Saturday would be the dreaded AFC Telford game, a second team in a row coming at her with a 4-2-3-1.  Playing Edgar Street meant that she would play on a regular size pitch instead of getting an irregular one like at Boston United or Chorley: never endingly long pitch!  She was happy though that, for two Saturdays in a row, she would play in front of her crowd.  She didn’t know how many would come for the league game but she was pretty certain, since the last FA Cup match brought 5200+ against Morecambe, she would most probably know what it was to manage her team with a stadium at maximum capacity, 5710.

Finally the end of the game!  They had prevailed, again.  A draw against AFC Telford was something, no doubt but many things didn’t go the way she wanted.  If they were able to neutralize one of the main threat, the AMC, her own forwards played so bad she was disgusted, from the missing shots right in front of the gaol to making no less than 9 off-sides!  She even had to pull Shaun (Okojie) who was playing his worst game of the year so far.  The only positives she could think of was that her team committed only 7 fouls against 15, dominated the midfield and got a good possession.  With this draw, the Bulls had slipped out of the playoffs spots but they were still on an eight games without a defeat in VNN (eleven counting the FA Cup games).  She was pretty sure that run would end next Sunday, against Rochdale.

Mark had managed to get both families for the next Sunday afternoon.  It was Britanny’s birthday and so, both sets of grand-parents and uncles and aunts and cousins were invited.  It was joyous for sure.  Mark’s two sisters were particularly helpful since Penny was so caught-up with work.  When Penny had learned about all that her in-laws had done, she thanked them profusely.  All were having a good time, Britanny most of all.  Yet, to her own disgust, Penny couldn’t get her mind off the Bulls, especially since her brother and one of Mark’s brothers in law were big football fans and constantly talked about football.  Naturally, the main subject was Premiere League of course, but they couldn’t resist talking about tactics and the Bulls and her life as a manager.

Those talks about football always brought her back to what she was tired of doing: playing defensive football only, just to prevail, just to not-lose.  The small crunch, combined with the fact that they had met only bigger teams, dictated both style and pace.  At some point, she needed to let it out; she took her phone just before dinner started and called both Sam and Jack: “Sorry to bother you on family time but tomorrow morning, I want us to go through every single stats we have and every single games we played this year.  I’m tired of that to-not-lose football crap.  I’m also tired that even when we create a lot of occasions, we manage to waste them too often by missing the damn goal!  We are also gonna shorten our rotation bench as for the starting line-ups.  Instead of doing a full 5 sets rotation so that all the players could get some starting time, we’ll go by 3 players per 2 spots when we can.  CDs for example, it’s going to be three guys doing a 2 spots rotation at every game, basically, you play two in a row than one game off.  I want us to take the risks in the tactics we choose so we can play to win, not to make everybody happy while playing to-not-lose and if some aren’t, well, I’ll deal with them, I still have money in my transfers budget for that!”

The next day, when Penny came in, she was really fired up.  She was determined to change things around for good.  She saw that Sam and Jack had done some thinking on their own too.  They both understood the way she wanted to set-up the rotations.  All in all, including back-ups for injuries, the roster should be 27 players at maximum.  They both thought that the approach she was using had some merit and was a little unorthodox (to say the least) but, as Jack put it: “We have the first-woman-manager-everof-a-men-professional-football-club-ever-like-in-the-history-of-mankind-so-what-the-hey!”  Penny and Sam laughed at that, especially the mimics and emphasis he was putting on all the words.  It lightened the ambiance for the meeting for sure.

They then proceeded to break down the positions in groups, setting the numbers of players needed into all, to establish the minimums.  Afterward, they put all the players as they were into the groups they were belonging and, finally, they made rotation schedule for each groups and sub-groups.  The end result was clear for both the coaches:  Penny had created a model where if you don’t fit in, you will be left out and, ultimately, will be offered a way out of the club.

After the tedious paperwork related to the introduction of the new rotation system was done, it was time to go through all the games analysis they had done.  Going back to each one, painfully breaking them down into itty little pieces, to try and identify what was working and what wasn’t.  It was painful work for sure, with some heated conversations too about particular play sequences and all.  At some point, Penny called a time out, realizing it was already 6pm: “Do I call a caterer or you want to come back here tomorrow and call it a day?”  Few words were needed; all took a bathroom break and also some fresh air, waiting for the food to arrive.

While walking around the pitch all together, chatting along lightly, Penny was struck by the fact that, all the three of them were going along well together.  That all respected each other strengths and opinions as something that was normality, as it should be one could add, but that was so rare an occurrence in real life.  She really had created a good trio she thought.  They ate calmly, talking about family and jokes and past experiences and then went back to work.

At 11pm, Penny shooed them out.  While she was walking to her car, to go home, a big smile was plastered on her face.

The next day, Penny called Dean (Rance) and Andy (Jackson) for a meeting with all the coaching staff.  During the meet, she presented the new roster/player rotation, not to mention that if they had gone mainly with a 4-3-1-2 since the beginning of the season, they would now present a 4-4-2 diamond formation as main system.  Andy, as usual stayed silent, asking a question here and there (who were good questions).  Dean though offered some suggestions about the system, asking more questions and cutting through Penny’s talking points.  She also told them that this same morning, she had signed a new experienced defenseman, Jake Goodman.  He would be the second CD in the CD trio.  Penny presented him as a tad slow, decent jumper, with good placement, great bravery and very determined; a good tutor that would offer depth and power on the defense line.  Andy was happy about the reinforcement.

At the end of the meeting, she asked both the captains if they had any grievances to present her, anything at all.  They said no so she continued that right after lunch, before training continuation, she would call a team meeting. 

The squad meeting started by a presentation of the changes that would be on for the very next match.  Players didn’t react badly to the changes, some who was seeing their play time going down a bit even agreeing that it was necessary for the team to make some sacrifices.  They knew they were not exactly good enough for the big matches but they got guaranties that injuries, sooner or later, would give them more playtimes and that they’ll have the opportunity to shine.   She then proceeded to tell them that; overall, they were playing okay but that she knew they could play better.  She was very happy to see that all thought that to be true.  All the squad, fired up, then went back to the pitch to continue the practice.

As Dean was going toward the door, she made him a little sign to linger a bit.  When they were alone, she said:  “Dean, other than the visible reaction of the boys, what do you think?

-          They’re cool boos, honest!  Don’t worry too much about that.  Those that saw their time cut wasn’t by much and they are very young.  If there's anything, funnel them to me, I’ll deal with them” he answered.

-          “Ok.  Thanks and keep up the good work!

-          No problem, just put more Butterscotch in the next basket!” he said, with a wink, going the door.

Sunday November 9th, the FA Cup 1st round match against Rochdale, League 2, at Edgar Street would be presented in front of 5500 peoples, a little short of full capacity.  Everybody was excited about the match and it showed.  In the dressing room, all were a bit nervous, which was normal, even the coaches were a bit nervous.  Penny was working overtime to not let her own nervousness show.

The game was a defensive battle for Penny’s team but not like before.  Rochdale was playing a 4-1-2-3 formation, with both FBs/WBs bombing the flanks.  Using her low block approach again, the boys were controlling well the inside of their box, intercepting crosses and waving the ball away.  Ball control had been difficult at the beginning of the game, nervousness was there, but slowly, the Bulls players were gaining their confidence, doing some good plays but mainly limiting the shots from dangerous positions for the opponent.  On the 27th minute, Max (Melbourne) intercepted a pass on his left side, sent it fast to Matty (Dixon) who was midfield.  He swiftly kicked the ball on the left flank of Rochdale’s box where Reece (Miller) took it, beating the CD on the run.  He made a great cross to Shaun (Okojie) in the box who placed the ball inside the net with a beautiful header!  1-0!  The crowd exploded with joy!  Okojie was bowing to the crowd with a gigantic smile on his face!  Six minute later, on a goal kick, Josh (Barnes) short kicked to Tareq (Shihad) on the right side, which hoofed the ball far in front to Shaun who was waiting for it.  He broke into a run toward the goal and at the last minute, seeing Reece coming hard in the middle of the box, made a nice little tapped crossing to his left.  He didn’t miss his chance and doubled the Bulls lead!  The chanting started in the stands and Penny was surprised by it: “We are NO Ferdinand! We are NO Ferdinand!”

Rochdale players were showing their frustration.  Penny screamed to her players to stay focus and to tighten up even more.  The crowd was chanting and chanting, telling their team that they believed.  The Bulls were playing defensively now, mainly by trying to keep possession when they had it, but the Dale was pushing hard, doing all they could… to no avail.  Inside the box, crossings got intercepted over and over.  When the referee called the first half over, the crowd was still chanting…

The second half started as fast as a bat getting out of hell!  The Dale came hard on both flanks (clearly both as WBs on attack) since Penny’s boys were in complete control of the midfield.  The Bulls players were telling to all the no one would be having a good shooting position!  All that Rochdale witnessed was attacks dying in the box, or just around it.  The Bulls fans were doing all they could to help their team chanting non-stop.  The atmosphere was electric!   The Bulls played liked they were possessed, letting Rochdale only have 4 shots on goal in the entire last half of the game.  When the referee ended the match, everyone in the stadium knew the match was already over 15 minutes ago.  Dominating the midfield and killing every attempt, the Bulls did a great football demonstration.  The crowd was happy but Penny was more than that, she was floating when the boys got their fist bumps coming out of the pitch!

“Boys, I am proud of what you did today! REALLY proud!  You played hard, stayed focused and when under pressure, you kept your composure!  The midfield had a big fat sign on it: Bulls territory!  Attackers, first of all, you did what you needed to do and did it well.  You knew we wouldn’t have a lot of opportunities and you were ready when we got them!  You midfielders, from front to back, you did a very, VERY good game!  You told everyone you were the king of that place and you battled hard all game long and that, both offensively and defensively.  Great work!  As for you, the back line, there is only one thing to say to you: you did a HELL OF A GAME!  You pushed and hit and intercepted and shoved and harassed them to the breaking point!  Eleven shots they got during first half, 7 of them outside the box but on the second half, they got only four!  Really boys, congrats!”  The players then started to chant the crowds “We are NO Ferdinand!” in the dressing room!

Penny retreated to her office where Sam and Jack were going over the preliminary stats.   When she was entering, she heard Jack say to Sam: “Forget all hopes YE who enter the box!”  They both laughed.  “Penny, we didn’t play captivating football, basically because all we wanted was to go down fighting but damn!” continued Jack realizing she was there.

-          Language!” she said in a stern tone, keeping her face straight as possible.  Both Jack and Sam were baffled.  She couldn’t keep it long though; she broke into a hearth felt laughter.  All did!

-          “Only 4 shots in the second half, it’s all they got, four lousy shots and all but one were long shots in a bad angles!” said Sam.

-          Best thing were the defensive headers inside our box, our guys missed only one in the second half, and four for the entire match!” added Jack.

Penny was mainly listening, watching her team of coaches in awe in front of the performance the team just offered the fans.  After a few minutes, she went to them and stole the stats sheet; they both looked at her, which is what she wanted: “When I look at both of you, together, you know what I think of?  I think about the fact I was lucky to be able to convince you two to come work here, with me! “The men were a bit baffled.  “When I disturbed you on family time last Sunday, none of you said anything.  When you arrived the day after, you came in, bringing all you knowledge and your professionalism and put all in and gave all you could at the challenge I had set.  Will the result we got tonight will become a staple of things to come? I don’t know, but as far as today is concerned, I want to congratulate you both!  You guys did a F’king hell of a job!”

Nothing was said after that.  The eyes and smiles and looks were telling all that needed to be said.

The next Monday, Penny was at the office, planning to do like always during FA Cup draws: to do paperwork with the drawing in the background but, the very first name they took out was Hereford.  She was already calling for Sam to come in her office when the Bulls opponents were known:  The Doncaster Rovers, League 1, mid-table this season.  As she was waiting for him, she made a quick phone call to Richard, to make sure he would put the club report on his to do list.

As Sam was entering her office, her phone rang.  It was a reporter.  After presenting himself, he asked: “Some people are talking about you to take on Aldershot in Conference.  What do you think of that?”  Penny was stunned! If it was the first time she heard about that, it was even more surprising like she would want to leave Hereford right now!

-          “Here’s your quote:  I have a job to do here, and nowhere else.”  The reporter thanked her and hung up.

Sam’s face was showing bewilderment.  She told him and then called David and told him.  For her, it was better he should know it directly from her than to find it in the news.  Penny saw that Sam was looking at her with a smirk on its face.  “What?” she asked him.

-          It is beginning” he told her.

-          What is beginning?

-          Mark my words Penny:  Our performance, added to the PR opportunity you represent.” Penny was goona fight back but Sam didn’t let her do it.  “Whether you like it or not, you are a PR opportunity!  Anyway, you’ll get more of those and for better teams as well.

-          I don’t care.

-          And they don’t care that you don’t care!  Aldershot is Conference, and they are in deep trouble right now.  I’m sure though that there would be rumors for better teams, in better divisions too!”  Penny didn’t like the prediction.  It would sadly be verified soon after.  Right after the win against Nuneaton the next Saturday, she was receiving a call about a rumor that she might be interested by going to Mansfield whose manager had just been fired.  Mansfield was in 18th position on the table of League 2.

The FA Trophy draw would bring Dunstable Town to Edgar Street.  She had arranged everything so that they wouldn’t lose against the Southern Premier team.  Going to the lunch room to re-heat her meal, she bumped into Jack that was doing the same thing: “Penny, you want to eat with me?  I met an old friend last Sunday and he brought me a little piece of info that you should know.

-          Sure.” She answered.  Once all was ready, they went into a corner of the place, close to the windows.

-          You know we are kind of short on coaches right?

-          The workload is, indeed, pretty heavy now.

-          Well, that old teammate of mine played with a guy that retired last June.  Hi name is Adam El-Abd.  For what my friend told me, that guy is a model professional, highly determined and, like you, has a great work ethic.  He apparently is a bang up tutor as well, excellent with youngsters.  For most of his career, about twenty years I think, he played with Brighton.

-          THE Brighton?

-          Yes m’am, THE Brighton.” Penny was, to say the least, really interested by now.  “Word I got is that he wants to become a coach.  Apparently, physical training is his main thing but the mental angle of the game; he is excellent at it too.

-           What position was he playing?

-          He was a defender.  I think is only real defect” a tiny smile appeared on his face as he was saying that, “is that he played a few games with Shrewsbury 3 year ago or so.”  Penny laughed.  Shrewsbury was the Bulls arch-enemies.

-          You believe he would be willing to come with us?

-          According to my friend, he would be willing to hear a call from you.

-          If I’d ask you to recommend this guy, how far would you go?

-          Honestly?  I’d say that my friend’s been around the block a few times and if he tells me this guy is worth a serious look, I’d then say to you he’s worth a serious look.”

The rest of the lunch was spent talking about that and Penny was sold to the idea to look into it.  One hurdle had to be passed though: she needed permission to get another coach.  She went straight to David’s office.  The talk wasn’t long.  The results of the team were speaking for themselves.  He quickly accepted.

Three days later, Adam El-Abd was part of the Hereford staff.  Penny had probed if he would accept to be Head of youth development but he didn’t want to.  She accepted it, telling herself she had some time to sell him the idea at some point.  He was a diamond in the rough, nothing short than that could describe him!

The Friday before the FA Trophy game against Dunstable, Penny had lunch with David (Boggins), the President of the board.  “It must be second nature to you by now, to be on the telly, no?” David said, with the usual smirk on his face.

-          “Sure, like getting use to go to the dentist too you know?” she shot back.  They had received an official communication from the FA Cup.  The game against Doncaster had been moved by a day to accommodate the presentation of the game on live television.

-          It’s kinda nice because that £12k will look good in the revenues of the day, with the capacity crowd that we are anticipating.

-          I suppose it is” she said.  She didn’t like the talking about money.

-          Anyway Penny, the main reason I wanted to have lunch with you is that the board, seeing your name cropping up here and there for other jobs, decided to offer you a new contract.  Since you know the finances of the club and all, we can’t give any significant raise though..” Penny was surprized.  She knew that the Board was real happy about how things were going but to get an offer so soon?

-          Extend the contract, as it is right now, for a year and give me a little more room on wages budget so I could have some space to maneuver a little next year since I should gun for promotion and I’d be happy.” David was silent for about thirty seconds, clearly weighing things.

-          Sign the contract and I’ll make the board accept a 10% increase in the wages budget.”  Penny extended her hand across the table, which David shook.  Both were smiling.

That same afternoon, a press release announced that she had accepted another contract, keeping her at the club until June 2021.  Two days later, Penny’s system literally destroyed a poor Dunstable team that couldn’t do anything against the Hereford storm.  Best thing was, the five goals were scored by five different players in five different ways: indirect free kick, corner, ball stolen midfield, intercepted pass close to the box and long ball counter attack from the back.  The, rather, small crowd who came to see the match got themselves a real treat for sure!

When she woke-up Wednesday morning, December 3rd, after getting a big win against Kiddermaster the day before, she was offered a coffee and the tablet by Mark with an article on the screen:

“The Bulls fairy tale on going!”

Yesterday’s match was an awkward one for sure.  Penny Stiles’ Bulls were facing the Harriers at Edgar Street.  Clearly, with the upcoming match against the Doncaster Rovers next Sunday (TV coverage starts at 13h00 next Sunday) in mind, the manager came on with a youth team.  They quickly showed what they were capable of doing. […]

The sixteenth game in a row without a defeat (winning the last 5, including the now famous 2-0 win against Rochdale) is likely going to end against the Rovers.  Despite the odds, Penny defiantly stated after the Harriers match, that if she knew the odds were bleak,”Doncaster better come ready because, more than ever, we will demonstrate that we are no Ferdinand!”  In the corridors of the Bulls grounds, all the players could attest to that for sure! […]”

As she finished reading, she looked at at David. “So, you gonna lose next Sunday huh?” he said with a wicked smile.

-          A loss by only one goal is all I can hope for.  At some point, we have to be realistic about things, you know?” she answered.

-          You’re not Superwoman?

-          Nope, I’m just a heartless bastard of a girl who doesn’t know she don’t belong there!” she was feigning despair.

-          That?  You sure are!” Mark said smiling, giving her a light kiss on the cheek

At the dining table, Britanny was watching telly, what else, while chewing on some piece of toast.  When she noticed her mother, she turned and said: “Dad and I are going to have the same seats as last time at the game?

-          Of course!  I can’t be a good manager if my number one fan is not there to see me!” Penny gave a gentle kiss on her head and sat down alongside her: “So?  Where’s my breakfast you lazy man?” she asked Mark, with a commanding voice and a smirk.

Edgar Street was at capacity.  The match was still minutes away and the crowd was already chanting what was becoming a staple for the Bulls: “We are NO Ferdinand! We are NO Ferdinand!”  Penny and all the team, in the dressing room were hearing them all.  In the middle of the dressing room, she was projecting calm and confidence.  “Boys, you know what is at stakes here but, like me, you are realistic.  What I ask you to do is one thing, and one thing only: Stay focused!  You all know the game plan, stick to it.  Retain possession as much as you can and since they are faster than us, higher tempo when passing the ball is the key, they will certainly press.  Be smart and aggressive.  Use your head!  If we lose, I want the Rovers to come out the pitch, asking themselves:  “What the hell was that?”  Control the middle of the pitch, like we do so well.  Now, GO! GO! GO!”  The players were fired up and went out.  She was staying behind and, once all were out, she threw up in a garbage can.  The stress was coming out green and liquid.  Sam, who saw the whole thing, waited for her to come at the door for their now traditional fist bump:  “You ok?” he asked.

-          Stress.” Was her only word.

-          Better out then in they say.  Apparently stress, kept in, make you fat and ugly!” he answered with a smile; fist bumped her and then walked out on the pitch.

The Bulls came in with what was becoming their regular match plan:  low block, short passing and retaining possession as much as possible.  Doncaster came at them with a 4-4-2, pushing hard on their right side.  The Rovers opened the score ten minutes in, on a corner.  If the goal sucked the air from the stadium, it only was for a short time because 13 minutes later; Reece (Miller) placed a wonderful ball into the left corner of  Doncaster’s goal from just outside the box, putting everything back to square one.  The crowd, if they were calmed down by the Rovers goal, became wild and rowdy with Reece’s goal.  The chanting came back louder and stronger than before.

The match was a dual between a system pushing all to the flanks, forbidding access to the center and another that was developed around controlling the center to open up lines on the flanks and crossing the balls.  For the first half, it was a merciless clash between the two and the Bulls were the clear winners.  The Rovers were able to bring only two balls inside the box, including the goal.  If they were able to shoot eight times, the six shots were under intense pressure outside of the box.  Frustration was growing , incapable to utilize the qualities of their wingers.  Over 34 tries to cross the ball, only two were successful, just to see the striker receiving the ball being tackle in the very next second.

When the half ended, Penny was pleased, very pleased, with the way things were going.  “You are doing very well!  The game is not over, you can do it!  Discipline is the key here!  You only made 3 fouls!  It’s really, really good and important to keep it that way!”  She then made some changes in instructions and let the players recuperate alone, by themselves.

The Bulls players were eager to go back and to continue the dual with the Rovers.  As soon as they got the chance, they ran to the middle of pitch, facing each stands and started to chant “We are NO Ferdinand!” encouraging the crowd to follow them, which it did, with energy.  The noise level was as high as it could be at Edgar Street and when the second half started, the crowd was showing their team that they believed!

Penny was looking at the players and she saw that there was a clear difference between the demeanors of the players of both sides.  If her boys were clearly focused and confident, the Rovers were frustrated.  The ballet between the systems continued.  The Bulls were definitely in control in the middle, stealing balls, intercepting passes and denying movements. At one point, the Rovers tried to bomb both flanks instead of going mainly on their right side.  Without mercy, the Bulls were making every attempt to enter the box a real gauntlet to face.

On the 71st minute, the Rovers were finally able to be on the receiving end of a crossing, the first time since the beginning of the second half but it ended being a header that landed on the bar.  On the other side of the pitch, the Bulls were pushing harder while controlling the ball well.  Seven shots against the Rovers, four inside the box and three on target didn’t change the score, the goalkeeper doing miracle saves.

The referee finally called the game off and the crowd was ecstatic!  The chanting, the cheering, the taunts (“We will go get you at your grounds!”), Penny was under the spell.  All smile, she went to Jack, the closest coach and jumped in his arms!  At the same moment, some fans charged the pitch, going to the Bulls players wanting shirts and hugs and high fives!  Penny was let go by Jack, who had a giant smile on his face.  The coaches all came around her, then followed the crowd and started chanting with them, encouraging them.

The Doncaster players, taunted by all, tried to go back to their dressing room.  After a few minutes, only the Bulls were on the pitch, with the security trying hard to contain the joy of the fans that still was as loud and rowdy as it was minutes ago, at the end of the match!

When the Hereford players finally decided to go to their dressing room, all the coaches were lined-up, well-guarded by the security folks, with Penny at the end of the line, to fist bump and congratulate the players as they were going into the dressing room.  It took 15 minutes to finally get Reece to get out the pitch, being carried and cheered by some fans!  When he went out he received fist bumps and pats from all the coaching staff, getting a warm congratulation from Penny.  She then made all the coaches go in too.  When she finally was in the dressing room, she was beaming!

In the Bulls dressing room, all were happy and cheering and talking and congratulating each other.  Penny was as happy as all were but now; she wanted things to cool things down a bit.   She slowly marched to the center of the dressing room and stayed there.  One by one, the players stopped talking.  It took a minute for her to get their full attention.  She made them wait some more , the atmosphere was different by now, which is what she wanted: “Today!” she said with a solemn tone, “today, we did something that all thought was impossible.”  She slowed her pace a little:  “Discipline.  Concentration.  Determination.  Those were at the core of this performance you offered, to the fans but, most of all, to yourselves.”  She let the phrase sink in for some seconds.  “Some will say that what happened today is nothing short of a miracle.  They might, they even may, be right.  Others will say the opposite, that this team had all it needed to cause a surprise; they might, and even may be right too.  What I say is this:  This team, if it plays with its head, and focuses on their tasks, will ALWAYS have a chance, even when they are outgunned.  You showed all today, that what I just said IS right.”  She put a particular emphasis on that last sentence and let the time go by a little, voluntarily.   “What is ahead of us now, are the Rovers, on THEIR grounds, with THEIR crowd.  I promise you, they took a shot today and failed but, THEY WILL PUSH BACK, harder than today, MUCH harder than today!  Have fun and soak in the euphoria of today’s results, but don't forget this:  tomorrow, you must go out to fight again!”  The mood was intense in the dressing room, with all the players reflecting on the words of their manager.

Some seconds after the end of Penny’s speech, Dean (Rance) stood up, slowly, keeping silent, with a determined look on his face.  Almost instantly, all the players did the same.  Their demeanor was one of determination and defiance.  Like on a call, they slowly went toward the center of the dressing room, surrounding Penny, holding each other by the shoulders.  When they were all close to her, immobile, with Penny at the center of the circle, Andy (Jackson) shouted: “WHAT ARE WE NOT?”  All the team responded with defiance: “WE ARE NO FERDINAND! WE ARE NO FERDINAND! WE ARE NO FERDINAND!”

She knew, at that moment, she’d made the good choices!

Penny was pressed to go to the press room, for the news conference.  When she came in, she was still under the influence of that group experience; her face showing nothing but defiance.  Just like her players had shown her, she was showing the same thing for all to see.  She answered all the questions like she was on a mission but still putting things in perspective. Yes, they had created a big surprise, yes they believe they can do it again, but be realistic because the Rovers will not make the same mistakes twice.

When she exited the press room, Mary, the PR girl, was there, talking rapidly and excitedly with David, the President.  “I tell you, we need to get it and to use it!”  Penny was walking by them when David stopped her.  “Penny, stay for a second please.”  She did stop; David then turned to Mary and said:  “You think they will give it to us?

-          I can’t believe they won’t accept!  I think if need be, we should BUY that darn tape!” she then stopped, realizing to that she was talking to the big boss, and added “Sorry…” as she lowered her eyes.  Penny was looking at her but couldn’t understand.

-          The FA camera crew were in the dressing room when you talked to the team after the match, “explained David.  Penny realized that, by now, she wasn’t even noticing when those guys were in the rooms.  “Mary wants to make a commercial out of the guys walking to the center of the dressing room shouting the “We are no Ferdinand” thing, when they were all around you.”  Penny was uncomfortable with that, and it showed.

-          David, you do what you want, you are the President.” said Penny but it was clear she didn’t like the idea one bit.

-          This could be our best ad, like EVER!” said Mary with energy, clearly excited but realizing she was pushing maybe too hard with the real bosses.

-          I’ll ask the FA crew if it’s possible to have a copy first, and we’ll advise from there” tempered David.  He then added to Penny “Nothing will be done without you, and YOUR team, being ok with this.  Ok?  But remember that if more people come to the games, the faster we’ll have the money to improve those training facilities.

-          Ok.”  Penny said.  “Now, I really need to go see my staffs” and she started walking toward her office, pensive.

The ad started with a panning view of an empty Edgar Street stadium with a dramatic music in the background.  An off voice, Penny’s voice, started saying: “Today, we did something … impossible.”  The screen changed with an abrupt cut to the stadium, now full of people, screaming for 2 seconds then back to the panning view of the empty stadium.  Her voice continued: “Discipline.”  The same cut again to another panning scene of the pitch, with the players on it and the full stadium of fans cheering and then back to the empty one. “Concentration.”  Cut to the pitch with the team placing themselves for a defensive free kick with the wild crowd in the background, then back to the panning empty view.  “Determination.” Cut to the team on the pitch again with fierce determined looks, with the wild crowd in the background, and then back to the panning empty view once again.  The voice of Penny came back again, a bit louder: “This team … will ALWAYS have a chance, even when they are outgunned.”  A machine gun succession of plays appeared: defensive headers, tackles, shots.  The whole enchilada! It continued for 10 seconds and when Reece’s goal was shown, with the dramatic music becoming more dramatic than ever, the entire team voice came on, screaming: WE ARE NO FERDINAND!”  The finals seconds of the commercial was the crowd celebrating the goal chanting the “We are no Ferdinand” gig too, the sound fading slowly out.

Penny was stunned by the ad, really just stunned!  It was like a Hollywood action blockbuster trailer!  Mary was all giddy: “It’s awesome isn’t it?  We will put the next game’s date at the end.”  Penny finally got her composure back from the surprise.

-          Isn’t it a bit, hmmm, too much?

-          Penny, this is the essence of what happened Sunday against Doncaster” said David.  “All the ingredients were there, a capacity crowd, the odds against us, the outcome…

-          Look, I just find it a bit… how can I say this….  Hmmmm.....Pompous?  And me?  Like I am some goddess talking from beyond….” Mary, hearing Penny's comment, answered.

-          Penny, when I saw those images, from the team around you, screaming to the world they were no easy target, it told the story of the match, all of it!

-          Beside Penny, we are on an excellent “no losses” streak, aren’t we?” added David.  “Every time the players jump on the pitch, it is clear they believe they can win.  The only thing we did was to put it in a 20 seconds commercial.  Penny knew she couldn’t do anything anyway.  All, including her, had accepted the footage of the dressing room to be used.

-          That streak will end one day” said Penny, trying to tone things down by a few notches.

-          I know that" said David.  "The idea here is to say to the fans that their team is back!  That they play to win, and that they do win, and that it is exciting to be here.”  Penny couldn’t say anything to that.  She was at least happy they only used the sound and not actually the image of her surrounded by her players.  She was scared all could see how weak she felt when the players gathered around her.

The commercial appeared on the web site the next Wednesday, a week before the second leg at Doncaster.  The team even had it play a few times on the local TV channels.

“We should keep the same system.  Invite them on the flanks and break the attacks in the box” was saying Jack.  “It worked and since we don’t think they will play differently…”  All the staffs were preparing the match plan for the second leg next week.  The main dilemma was between tweaking or not the formation and the system.  The low block, with clear invitations to come in from the flanks, had worked really well, to say the least!  The key was the capability to intercept the crossings and that; the Bulls did it, with gusto:  only 3 successes out of 52 attempts.

“I say we invite them even more next game” shot Sam.  “We have the jumping reach to do it.  We do it by making Max (Melbourne) and Tareq (Shihab) WBs on support.  If they play the same, their midfielders go very deep on defense so, they are not able to reach the first attack in time.  Beside, we already have Dean (Rance) on defense duty in midfield.”

-          I think we should make a compromise here.  Tareq is still learning his position on the right flank and he sometimes hesitates.  Keep him as a FB, and put him on support.  He’ll start a little deeper that way.” added Adam. 

-          The compromise might be ok I guess, but I say to make them come in deeper.  We lost only 2 headers in our box!  Only two!  Both of them were on set pieces.  We play structured and make sure our defensive line hoof that ball in front as fast as they can.”

The talks were stimulating for Penny.  She was seeing that if the players were fired up, the coaches too!  She was learning to like Adam El-Abd and she found it easy to do too!  Other than his determination, motivating capabilities and excellent discipline, he was a coming with a very careful approach on the field, with a twist of aggressive counters.  As she was seeing with her squad, that was still pretty young, he had undeniable qualities whit the youngest of them.  Really, this man was a great catch.

The trip toward Doncaster was not that long, about three hours.  All the team was anxious, excited but focused.  11 buses of fans were also making the voyage to support their team.  Penny was surprised about that since the match was on a Wednesday night.  Britanny was mad, real mad, not to be able to come see mum but she couldn’t change anything about that.  Mum was also “Sergeant mum” and there was no way she would let her daughter miss school just for a game of football.  Mark was more inclined to acquiesce to his daughter’s desires, wanting to go see the match too; he was definitely always was the softy in the mum/dad pair.

Keepmoat was far from being full:  not even 4800 peoples were there (capacity was more than 15 000) but over 750 Bulls fans made the trip.  When the teams came on the pitch for the beginning of the match, the loudest ones were definitely from Herford.  Chanting competitions and taunts made for a great atmosphere.

In the dressing room, Penny had said nothing special to the boys.  There was no need; she saw it in their eyes.  Kick-off happened at 19h45 with the Bulls getting the first touch.  The Rovers took the invitations to go for the crosses on the flanks rapidly.   Of the 35 attempts they made in the first half, only 3 were successful, all being on the edges of the Bulls box, being no threat at all.  Penny’s defenders were ruthless and aggressive, leaving no chances to anyone.  After 45 minutes of play, the score was 0-0 with only three shots taken on each side.

At half-time, Penny reminded her boys to stay focus.  Some were showing signs of overconfidence and she didn’t like it at all.  As the second half started, the Bulls had a great chance on a breakaway after stealing the ball in the midfield, just to waste the chance by missing the goal by 1 meter.  If her defenders were doing a great job, Doncaster’s were doing a good job too.  The shots were sparse on both sides.  At the sixty minutes mark, Martin Allen, the Rovers manager made two subs and changed his formation from a 4-4-2 to a 4-1-2-3, clearly wanting to control the midfield a bit better.  Penny was thinking more and more about overtime, all her players were playing good and none were showing signs of fatigue.  On the 85th minute, still at 0-0, Allen made his last sub.  They tried to push harder but got frustrated inside the box.  The game went into overtime!  Penny couldn’t believe it!  14 shots total had been made in the match and 9 of those were Doncaster shots, with only 2 in the box.  Penny told her boys that the victory was there, in front of them!

Overtime started with Penny asking her boys to play a little wider.  She had asked them to play a little narrower, for compactness but now, she wanted that goal and was willing to risk it…. a little.  Both sides attacked more, both defensive lines were in under pressure, more shots were taken but all the players were always under a lot of pressure when shooting.  The Bulls did a bit better though, forcing great saves on four occasions as only one occurred for the Rovers.  Josh (Barnes) made a brilliant save there.  As time was going by, with nobody being able to score Penny was thinking about the shootout more and more.  Two minutes before the end of overtime, she made her three subs, making sure all her best penalty shooters were on the pitch… to see the Rovers hitting the post on the very last play!  Her hearth stopped for 5 seconds on that shot!  The referee called for the line-ups for the shootout, the miracle had happened and all was possible!  Penny’s hearth was racing at 180bpm!  The Bulls fans were in frenzy and made Penny’s hearth going 40bpm faster still!

The Bulls fans were loud, REAL loud by now!  Anything they could do to help, they did!  The shootout would be taken at the Rovers goal.  Penny quickly told the line-up to everyone.  All the Bulls players were holding hands.  Josh (Barnes), crossing the pitch to go to the other side, made a quick hook toward Penny for instructions, she was the goalkeepers trainer after all.

The Bulls staffs came on each side of Penny, the subs hooking at the ends of the line created by the coaches.  Tension was building as Josh was making the final 50m walk, oh so slowly.  The coin toss made the Rovers shoot first.  Sam, on Penny’s left side, passed an arm over her head and held her close by the shoulder.  Jack did the same on the other side.  The rest of them did the same on each side of her.  Her right ankle was talking very loudly under the stress.

Liam (Mandeville) was taking the first penalty for the Rovers.  As Josh dived on his left side, Mandeville sent the ball in the middle and scored!

Shaun (Okojie) then went to the penalty spot.  He placed the ball carefully, cheered by the Bulls fans that were making themselves heard even more.  Shaun scored with a low quick on the left side!  Tie!

Dennis (Adenirian) came to the spot for the Rovers.  Wasting no time at all, he placed a perfect shot on the left side.  Goal!

Dean (Rance ) walked calmly, taking a quick look toward Penny and making a little wink in her direction.  The fans of both sides were in direct competition now.  Dean surged with three different pacing’s, fast, slow and fast again.  He placed the ball just inside the right post! Tie again!

Stephen (Okafor) was next for Doncaster.  He placed his ball carefully.  The Bulls fans were encouraging Josh the best they could.  The ball was skied up on the left!  The Bulls fans became frantic!  Starting to chant the “We are no Ferdinand” gig for the first time since the shootout started!

Cyan (Kavanagh) walked, rather rapidly, to the penalty spot.  He placed the ball unceremoniously on the grass.  Took three rapid steps backward then bolted forward, kicking the ball in the top right corner!  The Bulls were leading!  Penny’s staffs and players were cheering!  The pressure was on the Rovers and the Bulls fans made sure they knew about that!

The Bulls were now leading the shootout by one.  Jake (Rodber) came in next for Doncaster.  With a thunderous kick, he served the same medicine his own goalkeeper had been served seconds before, top right corner! No chance at all for Josh to stop it!  Tie!  Doncaster fans cheered, with a sigh of relief too!

James (Carvell) peeled off the Bulls team toward the box.  He placed the ball with great care and took his place.  A cannonball ended-up in the top left corner! GOAL!!!  The chanting was on again!  Taunts were intense! Some Bulls fans even starting to chant: “Losers! Losers!” to the Rovers!

Charly (Lucas) was the last designated penalty taker for Doncaster.  He showed great accuracy and guts, hitting the inside of the post on the left side, leaving no chance at all for Josh to make the save!  A beautiful goal for the tie!

Josh (Mitchell), the youngster, the kid, still 16, a permanent sub on Penny’s roster by now, was the last kicker for Hereford.  Dean (Rance) went to him and gave a pat on his butt at the same as Shaun (Okojie) was talking to his protégé, his tutee.  The tension was high.  The Bulls fans were chanting “Josh is no Ferdinand!”  Penny had trouble watching by now, like all the staffs!  Her right ankle and calf were sending even sharper shooting pain; she needed both her hands on her crutch to stand up.  The players became a more compact group, holding hands and shoulders.  Josh arrived at the spot, placed the ball calmly the way he wanted it, making a good show of taking his time.  The Doncaster goalkeeper was in front of him, taunting him… ready.  The kid then took his steps backward, three, four, five.  He stopped, kicked the ground twice from the tip of his right foot then bolted forward. Not one Herford player, staff or fan was breathing at that moment.  The ball was kicked with force.  The Rovers keeper diving to his right…. the ball going the opposite direction, lodging itself in the lower left corner of the goal for the win!

Penny was shoved and hugged by all on the sideline but she couldn’t let her gaze off Josh, who had fallen on his knees, pointing the sky with both his hands, screaming!  He was almost killed by his teammates that rushed him!

All were just relaxing by now, the bus was halfway home.  Everyone was talking about the match, about THE miracle!  No one was talking, or even wanted to talk about the fact that the next FA Cup opponent would be West Brom.  “At least,” thought Penny, “it would get me closer to my new facilities” since it would be played at Edgar Street.  Not to mention that everyone probably barely remembered they were playing the FA Trophy derby in 3 days against Stalybridge.

Penny was soaking in this bath of joy like everybody else but couldn’t get her head off that FA Trophy match.  The FA Cup was way more prestigious, yes, but the FA Trophy was what she wanted most, basically because it was possible to win it!  Jack and Adam saw her, somewhat, with a pensive stare from their benches, on the other of the aisle.  “What’s the matter Penny?” asked Sam.

-          Nothing!” she answered, turning toward them.  “Thinking about Saturday, the FA Trophy game against Stalybridge.

-          They should be easier to nail than Doncaster you know?” said Adam with a smile.

-          It should, for sure, be easier.  We still got only a draw against them earlier this season.

-          A lot of things have changed for us since then!” said Jack.

-          Maybe so, but the result is still there” answered Penny.  She felt she was obliged to do something.  “Could you ask Dean to come and see me?

-          Of course.”  Adam said.  He then got up and went in the back of the bus, looking for Dean.

The team captain arrived a few minutes later and sat on an armrest: “You called for me boss?

-          Yes” answered Penny. “I don’t want to be a kill joy but I would need you to bring the boys back on earth a little.  In three days, we are gonna play Stalybridge in the FA Trophy and I would like the boys to not forget that.”  Dean bobbed his head.

-          No problem boss.  Anything else?

-          I was wondering, if you had heard anything about the fact I played the exact same players for both games.  It means that some got their roster turn skipped, you know?

-          I didn’t hear anything about that but I’ll keep an ear out, just in case.

-          Thanks.  By the way, nice penalty!” she said with a smile.

-          Your welcome! Will we have that Scottish Butterscotch some are asking for then?” he said with a smile.  It was Jack, who had heard the conversation, that answered the question.

-          I’ll pay for the friggin’ things myself!”  All laughed.

Saturday morning, December 21st, Britanny was eating breakfast talking about only one thing: the match this afternoon!  Penny and Mark couldn’t understand it.  Christmas was four days away and, a now seven year’s old girl was only talking about a football game! They didn’t complain.  Mark had told Penny that the club was pretty much the talk of the town now.  That the commercial, done like a movie trailer, was also something a lot of peoples were talking about; 70 000 hits on the club’s site on the ad Mark said. Penny had gotten used to hear the radio version, despite the fact she still thought it was a bit pompous (mainly because she was the main character in it).  At least it was only radio by now, Hereford was still a little club and TV ads were real expensive to run.  Britanny though, was always putting the radio’s volume to the max when she was hearing it.  She just loved to say, to anybody really, that it was her mum on the radio!

The match itself wasn’t very exciting.  Every Hereford player was clearly on some kind of a joy hangover.  Mistakes and bad passes and wasted opportunities were many a piece for the Bulls.  The first half ended with the Penny’s team leading, thanks to a penalty that Dean (Rance) scored.  The only good point she saw, was that the defense, especially the CDs, was extremely solid and gave only 3 shots to the Celtic.

At half time, Penny tried to wake the players up, telling them they could, and should, do better.  To no avail, the wasted opportunities continued but the defense held and the score remained 1-0 for Hereford.  After the match, Penny debated around the idea that she should talk to the players or not.  She finally decided not to say anything with words, just staying in the middle of the room instead, with a somewhat neutral face, looking at them, for a full minute.  She hoped the players would understand the message.

The main problem, she thought, was that most didn’t care about the FA Trophy.  When the regular games bring around 3400 people in the stands at Edgar Street now, there were barely 2700 in today.  Still, it was her main objective, knowing that the FA Cup run was over the top by miles!

When, in the car with Mark and Britanny, the Bulls radio guy was stating that this was the 19th consecutive game for the team without a loss, Mark made a smile to her: “That long?”  She didn’t answer anything, just smiling back and thinking of Christmas that was coming soon.  She had given everyone full rest until Christmas day (three days); they had a game against Bradford PA on Boxing Day, who was trying to get out of the relegation zone.  With the extra games from the FA Cup, January crunch was going to be intense for sure!  If only she could find a way to sleep restfully.  Stress was eating her up and the sleeping periods were cut short by nightmares of system schematics running away from her…

In the bus, going to Horsfall stadium, Bradford PA’s grounds, Penny spent a lot of time with the staffs, including the Head physio, talking about the January crunch.  If they included the Doncaster game week, the schedule was a steady 2 games per week for 6 straight weeks.  They all presumed that the meet against West Brom was the last one for the FA Cup, that it had some benefits in the end.  She was also hoping for bad weather to reschedule at least one match so that they could get a longer rest somewhere in the middle.  Anyhow, they needed to think about making sure the training regimen and rotation of the players would be done meticulously to minimize injuries.

The roster for today was entirely composed of players that were fully rested, meaning they had not played for at least a week.  Basically, since they were going to meet someone at the bottom of the table, she had decided to put the entire B team on the pitch.  The five players of her permanent sub list were all starting the match, including Nathan (Wolland), the back-up keeper.  She had confidence in the system they would use, but still, at every position, it was the second bests player.

It’s not like she had a choice anyway.  The Bulls had 3 games in 6 days this week and she needed to keep her best players fresh and uninjured.  The Head physio was adamant, the risk of injuries was very, very high for her starting 11 at the moment, due to the number of games played in so little time, and it would not slow down for another four more weeks, at least.  After talking at length about it, they decided that starting next week, (after the 3 games in six days crunch), the players would have 2 consecutive days rest after each week-end games instead of one.  Someone pointed out that player development would slow down but she didn’t care, knowing full well that the team would suffer more if key players were injured.  She was sacrificing (ever so little she convinced herself) the long term benefits to the club over the short term ones.

The Bulls played their game; inviting the Avenue in on the flanks and containing the pushes, letting them shoot 14 times.  The good news was that the defensive line did the job well, with only three sots being taken inside the box.  What lacked was the quality of the counters, missed opportunities were numerous but Penny’s team was bang on once they were shooting.  If Hereford shot only five times, they were all from deep inside the box and three of them were goals!

On the way home, Penny made sure to tell the players they had played a very good game today.  That this 3-0 win showed those who still needed convincing, that nothing was luck and that the Bulls needed to be recon with!  “Team building” thought Penny, “was like being a politician: lying through your teeth while you feel you basically just dodged a bullet”

Sunday December 29th, Penny was driving to the Bulls radio for her “special” weekly interview.  She was able to post-pone it since her regular stint was usually the Thursdays but, with the match against Bradford PA and the fact it was Boxing day, she got it the day after the match against Spennymoor (a comfortable 5-2 win).  Since it was exactly half way through the season for Hereford, the interview would be a “double whammy”:  regular interview + half-season review.  The crappy dreaded FA crew interview was scheduled for next week, Friday, the 3rd of January.

“[…] 21 games without a loss now, what is different?  Is it the system? The players?” asked the radio host.

-          Many things I suppose but mainly, the team cohesion is much better now. […]

-          Do you consider the victory against Doncaster the highlight of the year so far?

-          A Conference North team winning against a League 1 team will always be the highest point I think.

-          You think we have ANY chances against West Brom?

-          Let’s not kid ourselves, shall we?  For me, a great victory for us would be to not get crushed.  It’s still a premiership team.” she said with a smiling voice. […]

-          Do you think that the Bulls have a chance to be in the play-offs at the end of the season?

-          Well, if we are a bit lucky with the injuries, I’d say our chances are fair.  We are in what? 5th place at the moment, 6 points ahead of the last play-offs spot. […]

-          Shaun Okojie performances dropped a bit, being 3rd best scorer of the league, are you worried of his drop?

-          I heartily disagree to a statement like that.  The best goal scorer now have 16 goals I think, for 21 matches while Shaun has 14 goals in 13 games so, no!  Not at all.

-          Josh Barnes is now in first place for the least goal against, is that a surprise?

-          Not really, he’s been very strong and regular so far and our defensive line did a bang-up job!  All the team performed well so far and I think all the Bulls fans should be very happy![…]”

Driving back to her office, she was already in game plan mode.  The Tamworth game was in two days, on New Year’s Eve.  The sad thing was that it was on their ground.  Chances were good that at midnight, she’d barely be out of the bus, if she was lucky.

Pos	Team            Pld    Won    Drn    Lst    For    Ag     GD     Pts	
 1st 	Boston Utd      22     15     6      1      40     14     26     51	
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 2nd	AFC Telford     22     14     4      4      43     26     17     46	
 3rd 	AFC Fylde       21     13     3      5      38     21     17     42	
 4th	Darlington      21     12     5      4      45     26     19     41 	
 5th	Hereford        21     11     7      3      41     16     25     40	
 6th	Blyth           22     11     4      7      37     31     6      37	
 7th	Nuneaton        21     9      7      5      31     21     10     34	
 8th	Kidderminster   21     8      9      4      27     19     8      33	
 9th	Stockport       21     9      5      7      19     18     1      32	
 10th	Stalybridge     22     8      7      7      36     34     2      31 	
 11th	Spennymoor      21     8      5      8      44     40     4      29  	
 12th	FC United       22     8      5      9      27     32     5      29 	
 13th	Chorley         22     6      8      8      32     37     5      26 	
 14th	Tamworth        22     6      7      9      33     37     4      25	
 15th	Stourbridge     21     6      6      9      33     36     3      24	
 16th	Harrogate       22     5      9      8      32     35     3      24	
 17th	Kettering       22     6      4      12     23     31     8      22 	
 18th	Chester         22     5      6      11     30     35     5      21	
 19th	Alfreton        21     4      9      8      30     40     10     21 
 20th	Solihull Moors  22     4      6      12     17     35     18     18 	
 21st	Bradford PA     21     4      2      15     23     47     24     14 	
 22nd	Guiseley        22     1      4      17     25     75     50     7 

On the 30th of December, Penny and the entire Bulls team went to a children hospital of the region.  It had been asked weeks ago and it was hard for her to say no.  She remembered, vividly, how surprised she had been when a nurse, working at the hospital, told her that there were a fair number of Bulls fans where she was working.  She asked the players if they would come and they all agreed in a hearth beat.  She then arranged for all the boys to get a number of gifts to distribute.  The players adding toys to the pile too!  Shirts and footballs and hats were given all around to smiling children, some being extremely sick.  All, including Penny, choked at some point, but they all continued, offering smiles and comfort. 

Penny witnessed some great things, seeing players encouraging little boys and girls, telling them that they were great fighters, even better than themselves!  Once, she was into a room with Tareq (Shihad) and Josh (Mitchell), talking to a little girl and her parents.   Josh was making the girl laugh to tears, doing faces and telling her jokes where her dad was always the punch line!  As Tareq was helping her in her official, and autographed, Bulls shirt, she said, all smile:  “I am no Ferdinand too?”  Josh, Penny saw, had to leave quickly; tears were flooding his face by now.  Penny took his place by the little girl’s bed and she answered for him:  “You ARE Ferdinand sweaty!  You are better than all of us!”  The little girl was looking at her; questions were filling her face now.  “You see” Penny started, “Ferdinand, he is a big and strong and beautiful bull, but he doesn’t like to fight, he prefers to smell the flowers, under a cork tree.  He fought only when he was stung by a bee!”  Tareq was mimicking the story, to the kid’s delight and laughter’s.  “And he had to fight hard, REAL hard, to keep the bee away!  It is why you ARE Ferdinand!  I am sure you would prefer to be with your friends and play, right? 

-          Yes!” the young girl said.

-          “But you are here, now, fighting hard because you have to, just like Ferdinand!  You ARE Ferdinand, you fight only because you have to!

-          But why are you no Ferdinand than?

-          Because we are not like you!” said Tareq, looking at the little girl with gentle eyes.  “We are like the friends of Ferdinand; we are not big like you!  Strong like you! And certainly not beautiful like you!” as he was giving her a dashing smile while saying that bit.  “So, we have to fight because the others can’t see us!  They only see you!  If we would not fight, everybody would only be talking about you!”  He was gently stroking the little girl’s hair at that point.

-          I think you are big!” answered the girl with a smile.  Tareq didn’t said nothing.  He just leaned toward the girl and gave her a long gentle hug.  His eyes were full of tears by now.

Penny’s was fighting off tears herself.  After saying good bye to the girl and her family, she went straight to Josh who was blowing his nose.  “I’m sorry boss!” he told her, is shame in plain sight.  She just passed a gentle hand in his hair.

-          “Josh, you did great in there!  And the fact you left, instead of letting your emotions show was class act on your part!”  She was looking for her words by now.  Josh was looking at her manager, getting his composure back.  “Never be ashamed for being human.  Anyway, you think any of your teammates, or staffs, aren’t choked by tears?  What you did today, I promise you, it will have a huge impact on all those kids and their parents and the hospital staffs as well!”  As she was saying that, Tareq came to Josh and gave him a thumb up sign.  Penny turned to him and asked:  “You did this before, right?

-          Oh yeah!  There always was stuff like that to do with Brighton.  Maybe we should do what they did a few times too, you know, make a special day for them kids and their parents and the hospital staffs.”  Penny thought it to be a great idea.  “Oh, and Josh?  You think you got wimpy huh?  Well, I can tell you that her mum?  She was laughing even more than her daughter!  You were too busy doing silly stuff and making that kid have fun but I saw it man, she had tears, a lot of them, and I can guarantee you they were not only sad ones!” and he gently punched him on the shoulder.  All three were now moving to the communal room where the less sick kids were.  “You must have done this often with the Lionesses, no?

-          Not really, three or four times.  The girls did it a lot though.  When they were coming to see me, they would wander in the hospital, looking for kids to say hi to with shirts and footballs.”

When the trio arrived in the room, most players were there by now; talking and laughing with kids, all giddy to get photos and autographed stuff.  There were a lot of peoples here, sick kids, about 15 of them, but there were also a lot of parents too.  Not to mention hospital staffs, nurses and doctors and helpers, all wanting a little piece of it!  Penny saw Dean (Rance) and Shaun (Okojie) coming toward her, both were smiling at her.  She also saw Andy (Jakson) with a little boy, with no hair, “Probably chemotherapy side effect” she thought, that was laughing is butt off because of some joke or another.  Matty (Dixon) was taking a picture with another little boy, his autographed shirt plainly visible and smiling up to his ears! 

Once all the players were back in the bus, Penny stood up:  “Boys!  Boys!”  the chattering died fast.  “I just wanted to say thank you to all of you.  Today, for a lot of you, it was your first time doing this.  I know it can be difficult and hearth breaking at some point.”  She let some time go by before continuing:   “I cannot tell you the impact you had on these kids but also, their family and the staff in there!  I can guarantee you, from firsthand experience; it changes a LOT of things!”  Penny remembered what it meant to her to see her teammates come and see her at the hospital.  “I am proud of you; more proud I ever was before!”  She then sat down; she was feeling her emotions coming up.  There was no way she would let it show like that.  Jack and Adam, mere centimeters away from her, saw it though.  They gave her a nice smile and a light pat on the shoulders.

Penny had surrendered to Britanny (and Mark), she didn’t have the energy to fight so, both of them would come to Tamworth.  It was New Year’s Eve after all and Tamworth wasn’t a very long ride.  Mark compromised by using his car for the trip, he would follow the team bus for the return leg.  That way, the family would all be together at midnight.

Penny wasn’t very worried about tonight’s game.  The players seemed a bit too overconfident though, so she put a lot of emphasis on staying focused and to work hard to keep the possession of the ball.  Tamworth was maybe only in 14th place but they were still coming with a 4-2-3-1 so, there was danger nonetheless.  The low block was now THE staple for her defensive line.

Tamworth came in hard, pressing a lot, making it difficult to set-up plays.  It took a great collective effort but , the Bulls drew first blood on the 13th minute.  A beautiful pass on the edge of the box with a great shot in the lower left corner by Cameron (Walker) gave them a 1-0 lead.  Before the half ended, the Lambs had changed the pace and tried to control the midfield a bit more.  Penny’s players were still holding the place good but both Dean (Rance) and Matty (Dixon had) been caught off position, did dubious tackles to try to correct their mistakes, and got booked.

She decided to sub Matty at half-time, he wasn’t playing a big match and that yellow card was making her choices a bit easier.  Shaun (Penn) took his place and swapped side with Dean, to be on the left, since he tended to carry the ball in the left corridor.  9 minutes into the second half, Tareq (Shihab) did a great crossing in the box to Cameron who got his second goal of the evening.  At the 61st minute, Penny made her last wo subs, getting Dean out because she was scared of him getting another yellow and Andy (Jackson) because he had played a lot of games, including both against Doncaster and she wanted to prevent an injury.  TJ (Culpepper), a young CD she wanted to keep happy took Andy’s place.  At the 75th minute, Tamworth got their first successful crossing of the game, right at the penalty spot.  Luckily, the header went over the bar.

The game was over and the Bulls had gotten another win, a great way to end the year, for sure!  Nonetheless, Penny had seen the players’ way too cocky at the end of the match.  She then told them, in a very assertive tone that they should stay focused.  Most players took the comment the way it should.  Only Cameron was a bit muffled by it.  She didn’t care, she would have a word in private to congratulate him on his good performance, beside, he was the MOM after all.

“The best thing”, thought Penny, “was that with tonight’s results elsewhere, Herford was now in 3rd place on the league table.”  She didn’t care that Darlington still had a game to play and was only two points behind them.  It gave a little spring in her step getting out the bus to go straight to Mark’s car with the sleeping Britanny in the back.

When Penny came back to work the 3rd of January, she found out that she had been designated the Conference North manager of the month of December.  With four wins in four matches, it wasn’t a surprise, really.  What was impressive though was that the manager from Kettering had gotten out his team from relegation zone with three wins last month.  They would be tomorrow’s opponent at Edgar Street.  She wanted revenge since they were one of the three teams they had lost against, at the beginning of the season.  A cruel loss in injury time that she remembered vividly!

Jack, Sam and Adam were in her office to review the training reports.  Three players were winging things, one of them being a player barely signed in!  She brought the first two to her office, and they told both of them, calmly, that they were to pack their things right now, that they were fired.  Both tried to say something but she stood up and said sternly: “I made comments before, you are bigger than me? I can’t fight the ones bigger than me.  I fire the things that are bigger than me, bigger than the club!”  She accompanied them to the dressing room, she wanted them to know she was watching, yes, but she wanted to do more than that.  She had set up the meeting in such a way that the other players would be in the dressing room at the exact moment she would look at the two packing their things.  She then said to all: “Say good bye to two more that were thinking they could wing their trainings!”  She was talking slowly with a clear, menacing voice. “Anybody else wants to try me?”  Dead silence reigned in the place.  She was looking at all the players individually.  “Anybody?  Come on!  It’s time!  Accounting can make the paperwork for two; it can do it for more!”  Not a word was spoken by any player.  One of the two that were just fired tried to say something, she cut him off briskly: “Last I checked, you are supposed to pack your things, not talk!”  She was the hammer and all were feeling they were one swat away.

The packing showdown lasted for five minutes.  Penny was immobile in the middle of the room.  When the two players were finally escorted out, with all their stuff, she stayed there, immobile, silent.  All the players were sitting at their own bench now, silent too, stunned.  She let the atmosphere gets heavier for two more minutes then started to talk calmly and slowly:  “If you want to test me boys, I want you to understand something, right….. now.  If I have to change all…. ALL of you, because you ALL decide you are SO good that you don’t need to work? I want to tell you that I… will… do it.”  She stayed in the middle of the room for another minute, silent.  None of the players said anything.

When she decided to go to her office, she calmly called the third player, the recently signed one, which was winging things with two words: “You?” pointing him, “Office” and she walked to her office without another word.  The rest of the morning wasn’t a pleasant one for the players; she only cared about the message being passed on.

Right after lunch, Penny and her coaches were preparing the pre-game briefing for tomorrow’s match when her phone rang; it was her boss, David (Boggins): “Yes David?

-          Penny, I just received something from FA.

-          What is it?

-          The game against West Brom will be on the telly.  It is rescheduled one day later, on Sunday January 12th.

-          Oh?

-          I thought you would want to know it because we will get around £140k in television money and, with this money plus the fact that the stadium will be full, I can tell you that if you want your training facilities improved, it is a done deal.”  A smile appeared on her face.

-          “When will the work start?” David started to laugh at the other end.

-          “I’ll get back to you.” And he hung-up.

When she had put the phone down, a big smile was on her face.  Sam was the first to ask: “Penny?  What is it?

-          West Brom game is moved to Sunday the 12th because we will be on the telly, again.” she answered.  “It also means that, with the ticket sales for the game, I just got the ok for improving our training facilities!

-          That is good news!  Especially since we have 4 players who really need better training challenges!” said Adam.

Penny decided to start the pre-game meeting with the players with these little bits of news to lift the mood a little after the morning show.  As expected, it did!

Penny knew it was just a matter of time, that the team would lose to someone sooner or later, but she was hoping for it to come against West Brom.  Instead, it came against AFC Fylde, at home, and it was a bad loss too!  She was playing for a draw, despite them being only in 5th place, they were still called for the lead this season, not to mention that they were playing a pesky 4-1-2-3.  She decided to down play the loss to the max, wanting to preserve the team morale but it still was 0-3 score and all knew they had been outplayed the entire match.

Using the modified scheduled, because of the televised match on Sunday, she gave one more day off to all; the crunch was still real.  All the staffs still came in the very next day, to analyse what had just happened and try to make sure it wouldn’t happen again.  They all went through the match, from scratch and did a thorough review of every play.  It was tedious but it also gave a new perspective on things.  It occurred to her that the coaches were looking at details they usually didn’t look so closely.  It was good to know that the coaches were reacting like that; she hoped the players would do the same. 

After lunch, after long talks with her scouting team and the coaches, she finally made the decision to offer a contract to a 22 years old midfielder born in Glasgow:  Scott Martin.  He had come on trial; knocking on her door last week and the coaches agreed he would bring something they were lacking in midfield (but also pretty much everywhere): good enough acceleration and pace for a striker in League 1!  A player who learned its craft with Hibernian in the Ladbrokes Championship (Scotland), he was a well-rounded player.  Surprisingly for Conference North level, he was very well suited to play as a Mezzala, which was interesting in itself but also, he was a natural box-to-box midfielder.  Agile, with good physical fitness, very good endurance, he was an aggressive, active and pretty determined player who had very good first touch, passing and technique abilities as well an excellent positioning for his age.  He had two main flaws; he wasn’t very powerful physically and was showing problems in decisions making and vision.

The negotiations were difficult, wanting key player status right at start with a hefty salary too, the room to manoeuvre wasn’t great.  On the salary part, she had ample money but, she was into “money pinching” mode by default, despite being 15% under for the wages budget.  For his player status, she was ok with first team status, but no more.  She had two key player statuses in the club at the moment; it was Dean (Rance) and Tareq (Shihab) nobody would get the same this year.  If the coaches all saw the young player pretty much at the same level as Dean, with room to grow, he still was a young player that didn’t have experience in English football yet.  She ended the afternoon with an offer he accepted to evaluate.  She thought her chance for him to accept the deal at about 50%, maybe 60%, but no more.

When she left the office, pretty tired, she only had thoughts for tomorrow and the second FA interview.  They wanted to talk about the accident; she was feeling nauseous already…

“The accident was in 2002, is that correct?” Paula was still the one asking the questions, and she was showing a picture of Penny’s car, with its right side completely smashed.  Penny was working hard to refrain her strong desires to leave, vomit, cry and punch Paula, all at the same time.  She knew the questions were coming, for weeks now!, but she was unable to talk.  Her respiration fastened and got a bit choppy.  Seconds of uncomfortable silence were piling up in the room.  Penny was staring at Paula but really, was seeing nothing but a big black void.  “Penny?” asked Paula.

Penny was clenching the armrest harder, her knuckles whitened by the effort.  She was feeling tears coming to her eyes and was enraged by that.  She tried to focus back into her own strength, to get her composure back but she wasn’t able to, the stress and the lack of sleep had already drained all her reserve.  She took her crutch, got up and walked straight to the door, knocking the chair and a TV spotlight to the ground in the process.  Paula and the camera crew had the excellent idea not to try and stop her.

Penny went to her office.  Once there, she locked the door and shut the venetian blinds of both her widows than she collapsed in her chair.  The tears were there now, she felt them roll down her cheeks.  She didn’t know how long she’d stayed there, crying in silence.  Her cell phone rang, looked and saw it was Mark.  She wanted to take the call so much but…

After the phone stopped ringing, there were knocks on her office door. “Penny? It’s me.”  It was Mark, on the other side of the door.  He knew that it would have been very tough, at best, and had taken some time off from work to come here.  It took her a long time to finally get off her chair to go open the door.  Mark, on the other side, hadn’t said a word since he had called himself to her.  When she opened it, she saw that only her husband was there, nobody else.  He entered, closed and locked the door and took her in his arm.  The tears were falling down with audible sobs now…

About an hour later, Penny was able to get her composure back enough to face the situation.  She was so ashamed of her reaction, of herself, of not being able to talk about the accident…  She asked Mark to leave, that she would go home after straightening things out.  He gave her the gentlest of kiss on her right cheek, held her face gently and murmured: “I’ll be home, waiting for you, my love.”  He then left without saying another word.

She got rid, of the, now much smeared, make-up.  After making sure in a mirror that no traces of anything were visible, she called Mary from PR and asked her to come see her in her office.  She felt she had to convince her to make other arrangements for this interview.  It turned out that Mary already knew about her storming out of the interview and that she went to deal with the FA doc crew, accompanied by David (Boggins), the President. He mainly kept pointing out that the normal winter crunch, added to the extremely unusual FA Cup performance of a club of this size, was putting a lot of stress on top of the regular one.  Both he and Mary, convinced the FA doc crew to reschedule the thing at a later date, when stress and calendar was less intense. He also said that if Penny wanted to back out of the interviews, period, for the doc, he would take her side over theirs:  “She’s paid to be a manager, not the subject of a documentary”, Penny was even more ashamed now.  She took her phone and called David on the spot.  Three minutes later, her boss was in her office.  He said that the FA understood the circumstances, that in the end, they didn’t have a choice in the matter and that it was clearly the most difficult thing to speak of.  She wanted to say she was sorry but shut her mouth.  Didn’t want to call her shame out loud…again….

Mark, being the man he always has been, had asked his parents to bring Britanny to the movie and for a sleepover (it was a Friday after all).  Grand-pa and grand-ma said yes so; he offered a full evening of peace and quiet for Penny and himself.  Offering all the occasions needed to vent anything she had to let go.  The only thing she knew was, as far has she was aware, none of the players or her staffs had seen her losing it all, they were all on the pitch in training for the big match tomorrow.

The day after the FA interview debacle, Penny arrived at the office more settled.  She opened her computer and her email client to find, at the very top, an email from Paula:

“Ms. Stiles,

After the interview, with the reaction that you had and with the discussion with the club President, M. David Boggins, we have wanted to, first of all, offer you our sincere apologies.  We didn’t know that this subject was still so difficult for you.  After all the interviews already made, that touched this particular subject, including both your parents and your husband, we assumed that it would be tough to relive those events, for sure, but not that tough.  We were wrong and we are sorry.

In light of this, other than our deepest regrets and apologies, we would want to offer you a different format for the rest of the interviews.  We would accept, without asking questions, to forgo your comments on the events that affected your life so deeply.  We could just skip to your managing career instead. 

You must understand that since it has such an intricate and deep influence on you becoming manager of the Hereford FC, we consider it an unavoidable item to talk about in the documentary.  We cannot, therefor, just skip it altogether.  Instead, we will do it without your direct voice on the matter.  The inspirational element of the event is, for us, at the core of the woman we discovered so far.  We cannot leave it out because we think it demonstrate all that you have demonstrated so far: an inspiring inner strength, an unshakable courage and a desire to win against what was, is, the biggest obstacle you have ever met. […]”

After taking some deep breaths, she continued her routine.  She had to discard all of this quick; it was a matter of sanity!  The pre-game briefing with the player was in two hours and she had an interview on the Bulls radio later today, to talk about the match.

“Ok boys, listen up!”  Penny’s voice was calm and poised.  All the players were in the dressing room, in front of a big white magnetic board.  “As you all can guess, we will go to our low block approach tomorrow.  I will not tell you we will lose the match because I think we are better than that.  We proved it.  What we can achieve is a great, big, fat, unsettling, draw for them.”  The players smiled at that one.  “The system will be our 4-4-2 Diamond and we will play with a low mentality and structured.  This last part is obvious; they are lightning fast compared to us.  It’s a fact.  Just like they’ll surely come at us with a 4-2-3-1 is a fact as well!”  Some players cringed, she saw but continued anyway.  “The important thing will be to invite them, really rolling out the red carpet for them, on the flanks.  The keys will be to nail them outside the box, make them weary about going in.  I want them to s**t their pants before crossing that box line ok?

The line-up will be Josh as GK, Right to left, Tareq, Andy, Jerome and Max.  Jack, you’ll be DM as anchor man.  You will have to plug the holes.  The CMs will be Dean and Matty.  The reason I have put you in, Matty, is because I want to be able to go into an inverted diamond if the pressure is way too intense, ok?, bringing you as DM..”  He said a little yes with his head and gave a smile to Penny.  “Cyan, you’ll take your AM position but you’ll play as a regular AM in support.  It’s important that you harass the midfielders when we will be under pressure, ok?”  Cyan bobbed his head.  Up front, finally, Reece and Shaun will take their regular spots.” 

All were listening, calmly.  Penny was just about to let them go with their respective coaches but continued with a very soft and kind voice.  “You know, we did something just about unheard of against the Rovers.”  She was slowly walking around, stopping a few seconds in front of each of them to individually fix them, right in the eyes.  “Do I really believe we can draw this match?  Yes, I do.  Why?  Because I know who you are, and what you can do.  Counter attacks with long balls in front might even give us a win if we are lucky.  Yes, luck may appear but it will only be for a win because I consider that a draw, a real solid draw, is not about luck!  They will come at us, at YOU” she made a swiping motion with her finger pointed across the room.  “They will surely use a mix of young, high potential, protégés and some of their regulars.  As a group, they are all good, even better in most aspects but there is something they don’t have.  Unlike you, as a team, they are not battle hardened.  Because of that, they will lack cohesion and will miss opportunities.  It is where you’ll have your chances!  Finally, be aware of something, you’ll all be in trouble at some point.  It’s another hard fact.  You may be pulled out because of that.  It’s, again, a hard fact.  It will not be personal, in any way, shape or form.  It will be about giving us the best possible chance to give us another shot at this.  It will be about giving us a chance to go at the Hawthorns, in front of their fans.  It will be about giving us another chance to create an even bigger upset than what we already have done by kicking Doncaster out of the derby.”  Penny was looking at them, she saw intensity and confidence. 

She was about to shoo them out when she remembered: “Oh, I forgot, I’m going on the radio in a few minutes, I tell you in advance, I’ll downplay the whole thing, talking about “Come on man! Like we have a chance!” but know something, I do it for one reason only:  When we’ll kick West Brom in the groin, it’ll be even more of a surprise!”  All let a little laugh out, it was what she wanted. “Now go on the pitch with Sam, Jack and Adam, they’ll go into the details.”

There was TV cameras everywhere!  The weather was not that cold, at 10oC but the steady light rain made you chill to the bones.  All were ready, focused and, had a pleasantly determined look, Penny saw.  When the players had gone to the pitch for the warm-up, she saw that none were talking.  Penny and her coaches were looking at the final West Brom line-up:  All the defense line and the goalkeeper were the real deal:  all the regulars!  The midfielders were a mix of youth and subs.  The strikers were something she didn’t expect:  their top goals scorer was paired with one player from their U21 crew.  “The finishing might be a bit lacking in cohesion, this should give us a little breathing space” said Sam.  All agreed, and hoped too!  Penny knew that, in part, it was just wishful thinking.

When all the players came back in the dressing room, Penny went in the center of the room right away; she wanted to do it quickly so to let them be on their own before the game.  “Gather round guys, come.”  All went close around her, holding themselves arms around shoulders.  She was talking very softly:  “You are no Ferdinand, you know that huh?”  No vocal reactions but smiles.  She talked a little louder.  “Be SMART! before being spectacular!  Be aggressive! while using your head!  Most of all…”  she let some seconds pass.  She was talking normally when she continued “be happy and have fun playing the best sport in the world!”  Then she shouted” BULLS?”  All answered back, screaming “BULLS! BULLS! BULLS!”  They all moved backward back to their own space.  They would go back on the pitch in fifteen minutes.

Penny was shooing everybody out of the dressing room.  She wanted the players to be completely alone with their thoughts.  When she was in her office, she saw David and Mary:  “The kids are ready?” Penny asked Mary.

-          You bet they are!” answered Mary with a smile.

When it was time, Penny entered with some local football teams’ kids, all from 9 to 12 years old, in the dressing room.  Another bunch was entering into the West Brom dressing room as well.  All the players welcomed the kids who were all dressed with Bulls shirts.  Penny had asked for a girl goalkeeper, she was 9, named Annie and was really tall for her age.  All were smiling to everyone; the mood was nothing short of awesome!  Sam, parked himself at the dressing door with a happy little boy, both were ready to fist bump all the players and kids as they would go out to the pitch.  The little boy was beaming to be apart like that.  Dean was the first to go out, fist bumping the kid first, then Sam.  The little girl with Dean did the same.  Penny was looking at the team getting out.  One by one the pairs went outside.  Then it was time for Penny and Annie.

On the pitch, both teams with the kids were line-up for the presentations and the little stint.  The crowd was frantic and cheering.  There was electricity in the air!  Once all was over, Penny walked toward the dugout while Dean called Annie to come with them.  Annie looked at Penny, not knowing what to do.  Penny smiled and told her to go.  The team took their kids by the hand and went at the middle of the pitch; the kids were pushed into the middle with the players making a circle around them, holding each other by the shoulders.  Penny was wondering what was happening when a little boy’s voice shouted: “WHAT ARE WE NOT?”  The team shouted in response: “WE. ARE. NO. FERDINAND!”  The players then took the kids to escort them out while they were making the crowd chant the “We are no Ferdinand” gig.  The kids were all smiles, the players too.  The crowd was completely crazy!

@mark wilson27 Thanks for the comment, it is appreciated!

The draw gave the first kick to the Bulls.  It didn’t take long for the game to kick in a bad way for them; the Baggies intercepted a pass and went on the offensive.  Penny saw that her players were doing what was planned:  make them come down the flanks and kill the attacks in the box.  The Baggies players were fast, real fast, but they were missing passes and had trouble on the finishing.  After only fifteen minutes, the pacing of the match was already decided.  Penny swiftly made her first tweaks, inverting the diamond by putting Matty (Dixon) as a DM alongside Jack (Hunter).  The Baggies were pretty much shot down in the box.  After 45 minutes, the score still was 0-0.  The West Brom wingers had made numerous crossings but of  the 26 they made, only 3 were successful.  Penny’s boys were working hard, and were holding them off good scoring positions but they always had their back against the wall.  The Baggies fired eleven times at the goals, but, only two were from inside the box!  The problem was, the Bulls were barely able to get out their own half.  They were disciplined and were controlling the middle of field more often than not but they were always hitting a wall when it was time to go behind the Baggies defenders.

At half-time, Penny told the boys that they were doing a bang-up job!  “Understatement of the year!” she thought.  Most importantly, she decided to change the tactic even more.  She told Cyan to come alongside Dean as a CM.  Since they weren’t controlling the middle like they used to, she decided to add one player there to tighten up the middle with one more option on the pressing but also, the short passing.  She also asked the players to play in a more fluid way, minimizing long kicks in front, trying to build up plays.  She didn’t want just to only park the bus, she wanted some options in counter attacking as well, ever so slightly better they could be!

The second half started as fast the first!  West Brom was clearly not satisfied with the way things were going and they made changes to put even more pressure, asking both their right and left backs to go on the attack now.  The Bulls were still resisting, and the crowd was telling them how hard they were supporting them by chanting, non-stop!  On the 52nd minute, on their 2nd corner of the game, West Brom was able to get a ball right at the penalty spot just to waste their chance by a few centimeters to the right!  A gigantic sigh of relief resounded through the stadium.  Three minutes after, the Baggies made their first changes: a new CD  and, most dangerously for the Bulls, their second regular striker came on the field.  They went back on the attack, ferociously, but the Bulls held them back, again.  On the 61th minute, the Bulls were caught in the opponent’s zone with a foul.  The free kick was played down the left flank, than the left back made a thunderous kick across the field to the right side winger who made a perfect cross inside the box.  The striker didn’t miss his chance and scored!  0-1!  The collective disappointment in the stadium was so intense that Penny felt the air sucked out of her lungs.  It was short lived again, because when the Bulls restarted the match at the center of the pitch, there was a good portion of the crowd who wasn’t giving up and were chanting the “We are no Ferdinand” gig.  The Bulls weren’t giving up either.  Penny got back her composure, again, asked them to push more, made both her side backs to go on support.  It was risky, those wingers were so fast!  It’s not like she did have a choice anyway…

The Bulls fans still wanted to believe and were saying it the best they could; by chanting louder and louder!  Making themselves heard, telling their team they were there, with them and warning the Baggies that the game was not over yet!  The Bulls started to control the middle of the pitch way much better with those new options on the sides.  The West Brom team was on the defense more than before by now, and it was clear they didn’t expect that kind of pressure.

Pushing on the left flank, Max (Melbourne) was tackled a little under the midfield line and the ball went outside.  Time was at a premium by now, barely 3 minutes left plus the injury time that wasn’t called yet.  Penny shouted to up the tempo of the passing, to try and mitigate the Baggies pressing.  Max did the throw in himself.  The Bulls were passing the ball well in the middle, the pressing was hard but without any fuss, the ball was passed from players to players.  At one point, the ball was back in the Bulls territory but they were still in control.  The ball moved to Tareq (Shihab) on the right, who tried to hoof the ball up front to Reece (Miller) on the left but the West Brom CD made a great header to stop the play.  Jack (Hunter) recuperated the ball midfield and tried again, with the same result.  This time, it was Dean (Rance) that was the first on the ball, at midfield.  He was able to get a little room by dribbling two Baggies player, giving himself two more seconds to look at the play.

Dean was holding on to the ball and suddenly, he kicked the ball long, but on the right side this time, far in front, over the defensive line, inside the box.  Shaun (Okojie) was running to the ball, the West Brom CD racing him.  Shaun was the first there.  He was at the goal line by now.  He crossed the ball fast to Reece who was charging the penalty spot.  In between the two West Brom defenders, Reece was able to get to the ball and kicked it in the net! 1-1!  The noise from the stands and the players was so loud; Penny couldn’t tell anything to her players!  She saw Matty (Dixon) run to the goal to get the ball and bring it back to the center of the pitch!  The game wasn’t over yet and the crowd let it known by chanting the “We are no Ferdinand!” gig over and over again, louder and louder each time!

The four minutes of injury might have been four hours for all Penny knew!  Her hearth was racing thousands of beats per minute!  The Baggies tried to come back on the offensive just to see their efforts, repeatedly foiled by the Bulls six men defense!  When the whistle was heard, calling the game off, Penny jumped into Adam’s arms!  He was the closest; he had no choice but to catch her!  The stands emptied themselves in seconds as everyone started to rush the pitch, the increased incapable of containing thousands of fans clearly wanting to be with “their” players!

When Penny arrived home, past 20h30, she was greeted by a storming little 7 years old with a giant bouquet of bright white lilies, her favorite flowers, which was twice as large as her!  Penny took the bouquet out of the little arms and then swept her daughter off the ground for hugs and kisses.  There were quite a lot of people at home.  A lot of both Mark and Penny’s families had come to the match.  All were hurrying to go congratulate Penny who was a bit overwhelmed, especially since Britanny was refusing to go on the ground, wanting to stay in her mum’s arms.  Mark stayed back, letting the others go at it, they had to go back home while he, he would sleep in the same bed as the manager after all.

Penny’s mum and dad came to her together.  Her mum, who never was a really big football aficionado, still was Penny’s number two fan, ever since Britanny was the undisputed number 1.  “That was very impressive my dear.” said her dad.  As he was hugging her, she felt some tears dripping down her neck.  She tightened the embrace as much as she could.  “I am so proud that you could still do what you love my dearest” said his dad in her ear, through tears.

Slowly, all the guests peeled off, one by one.  Around 22h30, Mark and Penny were finally alone.  She went to her husband and gave him a big hug:  “Thank you for the flowers.” She said just before kissing him warmly.  Mark then started sniffing her hair, then her neck, then her shoulders.  She told him:  “I know!  I know!  I got splashed by bubbly.  Some players brought some bottles, just in case, you know?”  She kissed him again and went to the bathroom to take a good hot shower.

Late that night, when they both were in bed, Mark asked:  “Do you think that Adam fella cute?”  Penny feigned shock for a second.

-          “Well, he is younger you know?  He is strong too, held me without any effort!  And so handsome…” she answered with a devilish smirk.

-          “I am not that old, you Sergeant Stiles!  I am a little bit more seasoned, that’s all” he retorted, feigning shock too!  Both laughed whole heartedly.

For the first time in over a week, Penny was asleep first, well protected in her husband’s arms, her mind at peace and her hearth warm.

Monday, Penny arrived at the office at 8h00; which was a little later than usual.  She would have slept in a little more but they still had a match to prepare; FC United was coming tomorrow night.    Before diving into that with her staffs, which should be here soon, she went to check the new calendar with the imposed replay of the FA Cup.  Tomorrow’s game would be the last game at home for January!  She had five games left to play in January: 2 per week, each week!  Nuneaton for the FA Trophy, then West Brom, after that Sullhull Moor, Harrogate and then, on February first, Stockport.  At least, the Conference North opponents would all be mid table or less, that was something.  Nuneaton was in 8th place in VNN, this would still be tough.  What this meant was that the rotation would have to be reset….  “Again” she said out loud, with a deep sigh.

As she was getting up to go to the meeting room, her phone rang: “Penny Stiles here.”  She answered.

-          Hi, M’am.  This is Scott, Scott Martin.”  Penny was suddenly more interested in the phone call.

-          “Yes Scott, what can I do for you?

-          Well, if you would still be interested, I’d like to accept the terms you offered me.”  A smile appeared on her face.

-          “I’m happy to hear that Scott.  Could you come today so we could sign the contract?

-          Of course m’am.

-          How about 11 o’clock?

-          It’s ok for me.

-          Alright then, 11 o’clock, come to my office and we’ll have the contract ready.

-          Thanks m’am.

-          See you later Scott!” When she hung the phone, she let out a loud “YES!” that was even heard in the meeting room.

When she walked in, all the staffs were already there, with a big question mark hung on their faces.  “Just got a call from Scott Martin, he accepts the contract offer, he is coming to sign it at 11 this morning!” she said with a smile.  Jack, being who he is said sardonically:  “I guess he watched the match on the telly too!”  All laughed.  She then proceeded to take the meeting room phone, to call accounting, so they’d prepare the final copies of the contract.  The meeting went well!

That Monday was particularly busy, between the preparations for the match against FC United; there was the signing of the contract of Scott (Martin) and three calls from reporters.  To comment on rumors about the arrival of Scott (now true), then about the rumors of new training facilities (also true) and finally, to comments on some rumors about her going to another club (bollocks!). 

Later that day, she checked the results of the drawings for the FA Cup’s fourth round, not that she thought it possible but curiosity was one of her weakness, according to Mark.  If they should win against the Baggies, she would play either at Fleetwood or at Carlisle’s grounds, both League 1.  Since she was on the FA Cup site, she decided to take a little peek into some stats and she had a good laugh!  Reece (Miller) was the player who had been designated MOM the most in the tournament so far.  As for Josh (Barnes), he was the goalkeepers with the most clean sheets, with four out of seven games played.  On the other hand, the club was dominating in one particular area that she didn’t like at all:  most fouls with 97!  In a way, it wasn’t really surprising, not a lot of teams had played seven games in the tournament yet.  Still, it felt bad to see that particular stat.  Somewhere she was happy though, that only three of her players had played all seven games.  This meant that there was a lot of players who had gotten at least one match to play into the tournament.  This, she knew, was something that helped morale a lot.  Another thing she noticed, for the first time actually, was that the Bulls were the only team of Conference level or less still in the derby.  There was no other VNN or VNS in 3rd round but Hereford and the three Conference teams there all lost their matches:  Bromley had been knocked out by Manchester City, York had been crushed by Manchester United 4-0 (!) and finally, Billericay had been beaten by the Watford 2-0.  Of the League 2 teams, only Plymouth was still in because they had done to West Ham the same thing Hereford had done to West Brom, they got a draw and would have to replay the game.

She was sitting silently at her desk, reflecting on all of this.  She knew that recently, Lincoln City and Luton Town, both Conference at the time, went to the quarter finals and 5th round respectively but she had not found any D6 team going higher than the 4th round.  At one point, she felt like she was being watched…. “Hey Penny!”  It was David (Boggins).

-          Hi David, how you doing?” she answered, offering a chair to her boss.

-          Doing excellent, probably like you should do too” he said with a smile.  “But I’ve been watching you for about a minute and you seemed lost in thoughts, pensive…

-          Well, I went to check the new calendar with the replay against West Brom and watched the results of the other games.  I was then wondering if it was the best run ever, for a D6 team in the FA Cup.

-          I don’t know, probably in recent years for sure.” said David.  “But whatever the result, you can be sure you accomplished quite something with your team… for a woman!”  He put on his best smile while saying that…. And started laughing right after it! 

Penny was making a show of being angry without saying a word but, if she really was muffled by the result, she was just happy it had not been a big smack down.  With Nuneaton in FA Trophy and FA Cup within the next 6 days, she had decided to put all the B team on the pitch against FC United.  The Bulls had taken the lead after 10 minutes and doubled it less than 30 minutes later.  She did all she could to keep the boys focused but on the 80th minutes, FC United scored and did it again at 90+3.  It was another hearth break into injury time.  “That’s the sixth time this season!” had commented Sam.

-          “I know! Uhg!” answered Penny.  “We gambled and it didn’t work.  At least it’s not a loss.  We will go through the last minutes later tomorrow.

-          The injury we got, it changed a lot of things.

-          Tell me about it!  Any news on how serious it is?

-          Physio says it’s a twisted ankle, 2 to 4 weeks.”

Penny was thinking about the injury.  Except those two big ones, right at the start of the season, she had had nothing serious since, just a lot of bruises.  “Talk about luck” she thought.  After making sure all was done, Penny shooed everybody out and went home.

When she passed the door, Mark had already prepared a hot tea for her.  She was happy; it was pretty chilly tonight.  “Honey, just to tell you that I will bring Britanny to the West Brom match” Mark announced when they were sitting together in the living room.  “There is no way I’ll miss it and since she’s your number one fan, I figured you’d like to see her there when you’ll make history!”

-          You serious?  The match is a Wednesday!” she said.

-          “You bet I am serious!  It’s barely an hour drive to go there!  Beside, how many times can someone have this opportunity?”

Penny didn’t, couldn’t, add anything, really.  The bottom line was, she couldn’t say it, of course, she was happy that Mark and Britanny would be there.  If she should survive, she’d want them to share her happiness and if she’d lose, she’d want them there to cheer her up.  She rested her head on his shoulder and they sipped their tea with only light music playing in the background.  This peace was welcomed with slow, deep, breaths...

Archived