Nottingham Forest - Return to the Premier League

nffc97

NOTTINGHAM FOREST, RETURN TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE

DUAOadyX4AAqEzb.jpg

Recent years for Nottingham Forest fans have not exactly been easy, there hasn't been many highlights or much to exactly look forward to, but of course recent ownership change(s) have helped the club find their feet, improving massively off the pitch - after 5 years of terrible mismanagement from previous owner, Fawaz Al Hasawi. The new regime sees Evangelos Marinakis in the top seat - who has already turned crowd figures round down at the City Ground, by steadying the ship and running the club much better.

Under Fawaz, the club saw numerous different managers - none of which had much success, there was of course small glimmers of hope under Billy Davies, on his return. Also, with club legend Stuart Pearce there was hope that he'd be able to take the club to the top flight, but unfortunately for him, it wasn't meant to be.

Marinakis has of course, recently removed Mark Warburton for his managerial position and hired former Boro boss Aitor Karanka, so far - it's early days but most Forest fans are optimistic; and are keen to look at the future under the new boss.

Anyway, onto Football Manager and how I did it...

Starting Budget:

Not exactly much room to move with this, I think I got 500k transfer budget and a spart 8k a week in the wage pot - Time to sort that out!

Transfers:

Outgoing

Mustapha Carayol £1,700,000 - Leeds United. This one goes without saying, Carayol simply wasn't part of my plans, didn't fit the tactic I wanted to play, wasn't good enough for the team and the money was good enough to reinvest.

Armand Traore £725,000 - Sunderland. Another one that goes without saying, his injuries was the main deciding factor, he wasn't rated by scouts, more money in the pot.

Matthew Mills £900,000 - Birmingham. A contract out in the summer, which I thought would be best to cash in on now, ageing and not the best CB around! I'm sure he could do a job for some championship sides, but not in my quest to return to the premier league.

Brennan Johnson £1,000,000 - Everton. A youngster of David Johnson, a former Nottingham Forest Forward. This kid is highly rated by scouts, but unfortunately as the finances aren't exactly great at the club - I felt the need to sell on this occasion, unfortunately.

Danny Fox £600,000 - Bristol City. Another player on big wages, which didn't exactly reflect his squad position. Also another player who picks up injuries throughout the season.

Incoming:

Shay Given Free Transfer - 15k a week. Ageing goalkeeper but did well when called upon to play in goal - conceded 10 goals in 8 games, was signed for the first half of the season due to key player Stephen Henderson being out injured for a few weeks/months. Given was signed on a one year deal.

Aden Flint -  £3,000,000 overall (£1,500,000 + instalments) - £10,000 a week. Flint, a name which is well known to Forest fans, the defender grew up in Pinxton and fans have wanted a "commanding defender" at the club now for a number of years, this is exactly what Flint added to the team!

Didier Ndong Loan - The Sunderland man must not of been part of the first team plans as he was listed on the loan market earlier on in the season, I felt the need to add another CM in search for the return to the Premier League.

Alex Munoz Loan - Having sold both LB's at the club, I had to find one quickly, Munoz was listed for loan by Sevilla and was brought into the club just before deadline day. Rated highly by scouts.

The tactic I used:

5-2-3, Control, Structured. I've used this tactic on previous Football Managers and was excited to give it another try. I felt this played well to Forest's strengths too - as the club don't have many good wingers, and with a lot of forwards in the team I felt I had to try three upfront.

tactic.thumb.png.886603e6853fb32013e990e49813ad9b.png

So who played where?

GK: Henderson (when he came back from injury) Avg Rating: 6.88 - He beat Jordan Smith and Shay Given to a chance in the first team, having made some key saves in several games on the bounce.

CB: Flint Avg Rating: 7.08 - What a signing he turned out to be, worth every penny of the 3m transfer fee.

CB: Worrall Avg Rating: 6.97 - The youngster put in some massive performances in the first season, has massive potential and is worth £8m at the end of the first season.

CB: Hobbs Avg Rating: 6.92 - Another solid CB, made 45 apps for the season which I was surprised at due to injuries in real life!

RWB: Darikwa Avg Rating: 7.27 - This one surprised me, I'm a massive Lichaj fan, but unfortunately the WB position fell to Darikwa after Lichaj kept picking up injuries, and Darikwa certainly took his chance - one of the better performers of the season! Worth £8.75m at the end of the season!

LWB: Munoz Avg Rating: 7.16 - Although a CB by trade, Munoz can play LB/LWB and having sold Fox & Traore, he didn't have any competition for a place in the starting 11.

CM: Osborn Avg Rating: 7.37 - Unbelievable player, who I probably won't be able to keep hold of due to a lot of interest! Played nearly every game and was very influential to the team performances.

CM: Ndong Avg Rating: 7.16 - I was surprised when he was listed for loan, and normally, I'm not a fan of loans BUT he performed to a high quality, this guy only scores screamers! 4 goals and 8 assists to his name, a player who I'll try and sign for the Premier League!

AF (L): Cummings Avg Rating: 7.81 - Now, in previous years this guy has been a god on Football Manager, and it continues inside FM18 - 37 goals and 32 assists to his name! You knew he was going to score every time he went through on goal, or if there was someone in the box, he'd happily cut it back for them to tap in! The league top goal scorer, top assist man, top rating... Cummings certainly is the best Championship player I've found in recent years!

P: Clough Avg Rating: 7.41 - Another fantastic player, a F9 by trade but I kept him as a poacher and he knocked in 28 goals and 16 assists in 40 games.

AF: Vellios Avg Rating: 7.65 - The 'god' who doesn't get a fair look in, in real life... I was going to sell him for funds at the start of the season but decided I wanted to see what this guy had... And wow! 39 apps, 29 goals and 15 assists... Yeah, he's not bad.

The front 3 were definitely the key to my success... Every time, the players would happily pass the ball across the box to allow another player to score a tap in!

In the season, we managed to score an incredible 131 goals - typical of me, Attack Attack Attack!!

How the season finished:

5a6636b91259e_LeagueOverview.thumb.png.044e0d9ff26909aec28f301f72232cee.png

So there we are, we've won the league with an impressive 29 wins, 6 draws and 11 losses - 58 GD too.

5a6636bbf19e5_TopGoalScorers.thumb.png.56bec4dd72c26013ac95a2a659900c36.png

Cummings, Vellios and Clough showing the league how it's done - Ben Brereton also makes an appearance!

squad.thumb.png.14835bbba01f3ab25c34abeca3882e52.png

More in depth showing of the squad.

schedule1.thumb.png.51f2e024156affd1c3a90c65703dd466.pngschedule2.thumb.png.b1bb1272c97a417943d0a71444654235.pngschedule3.thumb.png.3ef3b032d495f2612595f681f55cc9e9.png 

My Home Record was definitely a highlight, the City Ground certainly was a Fortress - having W18, D3 and L2.

Unfortunately the away record wasn't as good, but still ranked me 4th in the competition having W11 D3 and L9 - some strange results away from home.

Neither cup was ever on the agenda, I play a rotated team and try to focus on the league - hence being knocked out by Fleetwood in the replay! (Forgive me:lol:)

I'll keep this updated as much as possible - I hope you've all enjoyed reading Pt 1.

COME ON YOU REDS

Archived