[FM 18] The Managerial Career Of Fola

Fola

Welcome to my new career. I do currently have another career running on here where I am manager of FC Twente but it is one that if I am honest, I've just got very bored of. I created a tactic with 3 up top and it turned out to be a 'plug and play' tactic and in the end it just wasn't fun anymore. I just picked the 11 and played the match- didn't make any changes or anything and more often than not we won. With this save I will be returning to the English lower leagues, the leagues which in real life I am most excited about. I will be taking a lot of time with this career, not just clicking continue and hoping for the best. I will be taking time to build a tactic and help build a philosophy which I want to manage towards. I will take time in investing in training, the staff, scouting, preferred moves, everything really from the bottom up. In previous games I have let the chairman take care of staff appointments, training scouting etc. but this time it will be different.

The team that I have decided to take over is Bristol Rovers. 

Image result for bristol rovers

Bristol Rovers are predicted to finish 21st in League One this season. The bottom four get relegated which means that the bookmakers are predicting us to get relegated. It is going to be tough, I have no doubts about that but I going to try my hardest to make sure that we avoid relegation. I've spent the past few hours creating new tactics, one for home matches and one for away matches and I will test them out in pre season. I usually leave all the pre-season friendlies to my assistant but this time in an attempt to understand and hone my new tactics I'll be managing them. I will give  a lowdown on my tactics and squad etc over the next few posts.

In terms of the aims of this save, I don't really have any apart from avoiding relegation this season. I want to build a side which plays attractive football who plays football the right way and I am sure my tactics will do that.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tactics

I will give a lowdown on my players and squad shortly but these are the two tactics which I am hoping will bring success to the club. The aim of this tactic is to play attractive football, be positive and confident on the ball and win the ball back high up the pitch. These tactics attempt to make the pitch as small as possible for the opposition and win the ball back as quickly as possible.

jz7Pifo.png

This will be tactic that I will be using when I feel we are favourites and can take the game to the opposition. First off the goalkeeper as got the role of the sweeper keeper. He will be a key player for me, especially as we are playing a high defensive line. As the side push up to make the pitch smaller for the opposition, we will be suspect to balls over the top. The keeper will need to play a role much like Ederson does in real life, sweeping up behind the defence. In front of him there will be two BPD's who will look to push on, win the ball back and pass the ball out to the players who can cause more harm up the pitch. In front of the two BPD's will be a HB. It will be his job to drop into the hole created by the two BPD's and provide and option when retaining the ball and also defending when needed. The two IWB's will play a key role in this tactic. They will give us an option out wide but then also come inside to give us an extra body in the centre of midfield- making the pitch as small as possible for the opposition. In CM we will have a MZ who will move out wide into the channels, moving into the gaps created by the IWB's. With the MZ moving out wide, this gives the chance for the RPM to pick up the ball anywhere across the midfield and dictate the tempo- much like a David Silva and Kevin De Bruyne in real life. Then we have the front 3. The TQ will have a free role infront of the lone striker, while the SS will push on into the gap which will be created by the F9 who will drop into the hole and give us an extra option in midfield.

TTMmx6T.png

This will be the tactic that I will be playing when I face the stronger sides. Most likely the tactic that I will be using most commonly this season. Pretty much all of the same instructions as the tactic above but replacing the F9 with an EG to provide as a hook between the midfield and the second striker and add another option in the middle of the pitch.

The Squad

0d80ZQw.png
us1M5UM.png

I've gone through each player in the first team squad, the reserves and the youth team and given them a player trait and an individual focus- all based on playing the way that I want to play football. I am not going to be making any signings before the season, I want to give this squad a chance. I have tried to re-train any player who currently isn't competent in a position within my tactic. I will give each player around 6 months or so and then I will assess them and if they haven't adapted, I will look to move them on. I've got quite a good few players here who I am confident can do well in this league.

2IwE8TF.png

Should be a great goalkeeper at this level. His kicking is really impressive, as is a lot of his stats to be fair. His first touch is pretty terrible but he'll have to work on that. 15 Rushing Out too would be great as a Sweeper Keeper in this system.

GOdCKFc.png

Our captain despite our being 22 years of age. Not the quickest but has a good range of passing on him which will be perfect as a BPD. I have managed to tie him down to a new deal- he's someone I see being a key player for me over the next few seasons.

LY2rIdo.png

Ollie Clarke will be my first choice HB in front of the defence. Going forward he's pretty useless but defensively he's very good. He's got great mental stats and should be a key player for us.

Z7xpLWX.png

Tom Nichols is a player that I am very excited about and my own little project. He's actually a very good striker and managed 10 goals in this league last season but I am re-training him. I am retraining him to become a RPM in CM. The player trait of Comes Deep To Get Ball is good for this role and I am trying to get him to Try Killer Passes More Often. It will be interesting to see if he can make the position change but we will see.

QdCptAd.png

Statistically wise he's my best player. He's scored 26 goals over the past two seasons and will most likely be our main goal threat. I managed to sign him down to a new deal but he insisted that there was a release clause of £1.2 million in there. Hopefully we will manage to keep him as he will be a key player for me in both tactics. He's comfortable playing as either the F9 or the EN in both tactics.

Training

ZTrUZ5l.png

Got rid a few of the staff who weren't good enough. Would of liked to bring more staff members in but the board refused it. Not happy yet with the standard of coaching here yet. I am going to keep on at the board to try bring in more coaches.

9lJ4Q2v.png

August 2017 - Pre Season Round Up

KVU072j.png

Managed to switch between both of my tactics and they both did well. The players seem to be fitting into this style and hopefully they can take this form into the league. Admittedly we didn't really play any teams of any quality, I just hope that this confidence can be carried into the season.

5th August 2017 - Sky Bet League One - Matchday 1
efzwnDJ.png

Starting XI: Slocombe; Clarke, Lockyear; Leadbitter, O.Clarke, Brown; Lines*, Sinclair; Gaffney**, Bodin,*** Moore.
Subs: Broadbent, Burn, Sweeney, Bola, Nichols*, Telford**, Harrison***.

What a win. We went with our away tactic and played with the EG instead of the F9 and it worked perfectly. We made a mistake early on and gifted them a goal but them fought back and actually managed to win convincingly. I was really happy with how we managed to retain the possession and break down what on paper is one of the best sides in this division. Byron Moore and Rory Gaffney managed to bag two goals each, with Billy Bodin grabbing 2 assists he did really well in the EG role. We face Newport next in the Capital One Cup- should definitely be winning those types of games.

Bristol Rovers Man Of The Match: Byron Moore (9.1)
League Position: 2nd
Next Opponent: Newport County (H)

8th August 2017 - Carabao Cup - First Round
LSl0TDU.png

Starting XI: Slocombe; Clarke*, Lockyear; Leadbitter, O.Clarke, Brown; Nichols, Sinclair; Gaffney**, Harrison; Telford***.
Subs:  Partington*, Burn, Sweeney, Bola, Lines, Bodin**, Moore***.

Another good win with our F9 tactic this time. Once again we controlled the game and had plenty of possession but gave away another silly goal. James Clarke made the mistake and was subbed off for Joe Partington who be starting the next match ahead of him. Clarke doesn't seem particularly comfortable on the ball which is worrying as a BPD. Nice to see Ellis Harrison grab a goal as he started in the F9 position ahead of Billy Bodin and did well. Peterborough up next which will be a tough one.

Bristol Rovers Man Of The Match: Daniel Leadbitter (8.0)
Next Opponent: Peterborough (H)

12th August 2017 - Sky Bet League One - Matchday 2
QvxVhJj.png

Starting XI: Slocombe; Partington, Lockyear; Leadbitter, O.Clarke, Brown; Lines, Sinclair*; Gaffney, Bodin**, Moore***.
Subs: Clarke, Burn, Sweeney, Bola, Nichols*, Telford**, Harrison***.

The scoreline doesn't really represent our performance. We had chances, Gaffney with two guilt edge changes when the score was 0-0 but we just fell apart after. On to the next one where we face Bury which should be another tough game.

Bristol Rovers Man Of The Match: Daniel Leadbitter (8.2)
League Position: 10th
Next Opponent: Bury (A)

19th August 2017 - Sky Bet League One - Matchday 3
xgSBIgX.png

Starting XI: Slocombe; Partington, Lockyear; Leadbitter, O.Clarke, Brown; Nichols, Sinclair; Gaffney*, Bodin**, Moore***.
Subs: Clarke, Burn, Sweeney, Bola, Lines*, Telford**, Harrison***.

So damn close. Again we actually played well and controlled the possession but once again, we missed some big chances. Billy Bodin missed a one on one and Byron Moore missed two efforts from range. Bury are a really strong side in this league and that showed late on when Jermaine Beckford and Nicky Ajose combined to score the only goal of the game. We face Cardiff next in the second round of the Carabao Cup. I don't expect anything from this game so I am tempted to play a rotated side to make sure we keep players fresh for the league.

Bristol Rovers Man Of The Match: Joe Partington (7.2)
League Position: 16th
Next Opponent: Cardiff (A)

22nd August 2017 - Carabao Cup - Second Round
MVFoHO2.png

Starting XI: Slocombe; Partington, Lockyear; Leadbitter, O.Clarke, Brown; Nichols, Sinclair*; Gaffney**, Bodin***, Harrison.
Subs: Clarke, Burn, Sweeney, Bola, Lines*, Telford**, Moore***.

Well well well, this was very unexpected. Cardiff played a strong side which included players such as Lee Tomlin and Kenneth Zohore who both played in their most recent league match. We rode our luck at times but we defended really well and managed to get a late goal thanks to substitute Byron Moore. We had 55% of the possession which was very pleasing. Nice to come to a side in the league above and beat them in terms of possession and the result. We face Fleetwood next in the league who are unbeaten in their three league matches so far- going to be another tough one.

Bristol Rovers Man Of The Match: Lee Brown (8.0)
Next Opponent: Fleetwood (H)

24th August 2017
eYomtMG.png

Gutted. We got down to the last 4 teams which were ourselves, Man Utd, Huddersfield and Peterborough. Of course we end up with f*cking Peterborough away instead. United away could of been great for our finances, would of probably got on TV too.

26th August 2017 - Sky Bet League One - Matchday 4
ufhNt9I.png

Starting XI: Slocombe; Partington, Lockyear; Leadbitter, O.Clarke, Brown; Lines*, Sinclair**; Moore***, Bodin, Harrison.
Subs: Clarke, Sweeney, Bola, Sercombe*, Nichols**, Telford, Gaffney***.

Really disappointed to lose this one. After such a good result against Cardiff I thought we would of come into this match full of confidence. We went behind just before the half hour but Billy Bodin's first goal of the season drew us level. We were then caught on the break twice late on. It's frustrating because we've actually played well but we're sitting in the relegation zone and have lost 3 out of our 4 league matches. We need to improve. We face Wycombe next in the Checkatrade Trophy which is a joke in itself.

Bristol Rovers Man Of The Match: Billy Bodin (7.2)
League Position: 22nd
Next Opponent:  Wycombe (H)

29th August 2017 - Checkatrade Trophy - Group Stage
q584rtl.png

Starting XI: Slocombe; Partington, Lockyear; Leadbitter, O.Clarke, Brown*; Nichols, Sercombe**; Bodin, Moore; Harrison***.
Subs: Smith, Clarke, Broadbent*, Broom, Kelly, Lines**, Gaffney***.

I don't really care about this trophy but it's nice to get a win and hopefully get our confidence back. We were behind at the break but managed to pull a goal back through Byron Moore. The impressive Billy Boden went on to bag a brace and had a really good game. The transfer window closes in a few days time- I hope that we will be able to keep hold of Bodin as he will be a special player for us. We have Bradford up next who have had a poor start- hopefully a chance to get our season going.

Bristol Rovers Man Of The Match: Billy Bodin (8.9)
Next Opponent:  Bradford (A)

1st September 2017
uCd5TR3.png

Forgot to mention but only captain Tom Lockyear received a call up for Wales. I doubt that he will get on the pitch but I am really happy for the lad. Not too happy that he will miss our next game against Bradford mind. Ryan Sweeney is a defender that we have on loan from Stoke but unfortunately he can't pass the ball so can't play as a BPD- meaning he is purely backup for me. Mohammad Baghdadi is in my reserve side. Oh yeah and the transfer window shut and we didn't lose any of our players. Oh happy days!

sSka6wI.png

2nd September 2017 - Sky Bet League One - Matchday 5
clUyO30.png

Starting XI: Slocombe; Partington, Clarke; Leadbitter, O.Clarke, Brown; Nichols*, Lines; Telford, Moore; Bodin**.
Subs: Smith, Burn, Broadbent, Broom, Sercombe*, Harrison**, Gaffney.

Yes! That is more like it- what a win. Admittedly, Bradford aren't the best side in the world but we played them off the park and were clinical in front of goal. Come the end of the season this result could be vital if we are to end up near the relegation zone like the media predicts. We went ahead through an own goal before Byron Moore kept up his good start to the season with a strike from range. We sealed the win thanks to a penalty from Chris Lines. Only negative was that Billy Bodin came off injured- hope it's nothing too serious. Walsall up next- hopefully we can keep this up.

Bristol Rovers Man Of The Match:  Sam Slocombe (7.8)
League Position: 12th
Next Opponent:  Walsall (H)

9 hours ago, john1 said:

Decent start with Bristol Rovers :cool: Loving the tactical analysis :thup: 

Thanks mate- I am glad you are enjoying it so far. I'm spending a lot more time in terms of tactics etc. than I have done in any of my previous saves. Usually I'd just play the same tactic no matter what and not change the tactic in-game etc. but I've changed that for this save and it has rekindled my love for FM! More updates to come tonight.

9th September 2017 - Sky Bet League One - Matchday 6
nvRK9D1.png

Starting XI: Slocombe; Partington*, Lockyer; Leadbitter, O.Clarke, Brown; Nichols, Sercombe; Gaffney, Harrison**; Telford.
Subs: Smith, Burn, Broadbent, Clarke*, Sweeney, Baghdadi, Broom**.

No Moore, No Bodin... No problem. Going into the game I was quite worried about our attacking prowess. The bench was full of defenders but it really didn't matter in the end. Decided to go with F9 formation with Dominic Telford up top with Ellis Harrison and Rory Gaffney behind him and it worked off. Gaffney got himself a hat trick as we went on to get a convincing win. At home against Oldham next- just hope we can keep this up.

Bristol Rovers Man Of The Match:  Rory Gaffney (9.6)
League Position: 8th
Next Opponent:  Oldham (H)

12th September 2017 - Sky Bet League One - Matchday 7
WlwmPt3.png

Starting XI: Slocombe; Partington, Lockyer; Leadbitter, O.Clarke, Brown; Nichols*, Sercombe; Gaffney, Harrison**; Telford.
Subs: Smith, Burn, Broadbent, Clarke, Sweeney, Lines*, Broom**.

What a weird match. Going forward we looked great but defensively we were very poor. We were carved apart on multiple occasions and the late goal for Oldham was a sickener. Only positive really was Dominic Telford grabbing his first goals of the season. Wigan up next which will be a very tough one.

Bristol Rovers Man Of The Match:  Dominic Telford (8.8)
League Position: 13th
Next Opponent:  Wigan (A)

16th September 2017 - Sky Bet League One - Matchday 8
cpBZuNR.png

Starting XI: Slocombe; Partington, Lockyer; Leadbitter, O.Clarke, Brown; Nichols, Sercombe*; Gaffney, Harrison, Telford.
Subs: Smith, Burn, Broadbent, Clarke, Sweeney, Lines*, Broom.

Disappointing to concede a late goal but happy to come away with a draw against a strong Wigan side. It was nice to see Ellis Harrison get on the scoresheet twice as to be honest, he's had quite a poor start to the season. I set up with the EG formation and it worked quite well. I am a bit concerned about the amount of goals we have been conceding- hopefully we will be able to tighten up our defence. We face Peterborough next in the Third Round of the Carabao Cup. HUGE game.

Bristol Rovers Man Of The Match:  Ellis Harrison (8.8)
League Position: 12th
Next Opponent:  Peterborough (A)

19th September 2017 - Carabao Cup - Third Round
yprPEZL.png

Starting XI: Slocombe; Sweeney, Lockyer; Leadbitter, O.Clarke, Brown; Nichols, Sercombe*; Gaffney, Telford**, Harrison***.
Subs: Smith, Partington*, Broadbent, Clarke, Lines**, Broom, Bodin***.

Absolutely gutted. Mason f*cking Bennett! I blame @noikeee... He already grabbed 2 goals against us in the league and went on to grab a hat trick in this one. I thought the game was heading to penalties but we weren't able to hold on. We looked poor again from a defensive point of view but once again, very threatening going forward. Nice to see Billy Bodin back in the squad and he managed to get a goal off the bench despite not being full fit. We face bottom placed Blackpool next in the league- I just hope that this hasn't tired the lads out too much as we don't have a big squad.

Bristol Rovers Man Of The Match:  Tom Nichols (8.3)
Next Opponent:  Blackpool (H)

23rd September 2017 - Sky Bet League One - Matchday 9
x8SG3RC.png

Starting XI: Slocombe; Partington, Sweeney; Leadbitter, O.Clarke, Brown; Lines*, Sercombe; Gaffney**, Bodin; Telford***.
Subs: Smith, Broadbent, Clarke, Bola, Nichols*, Harrison**, Moore***.

What a frustrating game. We had 61% possession but still came away from the game with nothing. Our winless run in all competitions has now stretched to 4 matches. We need to improve and quick.

Bristol Rovers Man Of The Match:  Tom Nichols (7.2)
League Position: 13th
Next Opponent:  Portsmouth (A)

26th September 2017
BLbTh6l.png

This one has shocked me. Yes, we haven't won for a few games but didn't expect so many players to be unhappy. Lee Brown is a team leader in the squad and has played every minute. In this you can't make any new signings, unless they are free transfers so I may have to be in the market for some new influential players to improve the squad harmony.

Crf6DUS.png

26th September 2017
LmgxoMg.png

So looks like this guy is the trouble maker. I've placed him on the transfer and hopefully he will move on. Obviously FL clubs cannot purchase anybody until January but a Conference side may come in for him. Weird one because he's played pretty much every game this season.

g5BL00p.png

26th September 2017 - Sky Bet League One - Matchday 10
p4eIrbr.png

Starting XI: Smith; Clarke, Lockyer; Leadbitter, O.Clarke*, Brown; Nichols, Lines; Gaffney**, Bodin, Harrison***.
Subs: Slocombe, Broadbent, Sweeney*, Bola, Sercombe, Telford**, Moore***.

Another poor performance and result. I dropped Joe Partington from the matchday squad and changed my goalkeeper but we still managed to sip 3 goals. We're in a bit of a rut at the moment but I am confident we can get out of this. Plymouth at home up next- definitely a winnable tie.

Bristol Rovers Man Of The Match:  Daniel Leadbitter (6.8)
Next Opponent:  Plymouth (H)

29th September 2017
XCEk2nj.png

Due to our poor form and lack of squad harmony, I have delved into the the free agent market and made 3 new signings.

ZbQH7wR.png

Going to be re-trained as a SS. He's got a whole host of experience and has played in some of the best leagues in the world. Quite shocked that I've managed to bring him to play for Bristol in the League One to be honest.

6SKgWqd.png

Image result for bakaye traore

This guy used to play for AC Milan- now he plays for Bristol Rovers. Madness. Great stats for this league.

LeQyiaH.png

One for the future. 

30th September 2017 - Sky Bet League One - Matchday 11
32jBkYa.png

Starting XI: Smith; Partington, Lockyer; Leadbitter, Traore, Brown*; Nichols**, Sercombe; Owusu-Abeyie***, Harrison; Telford.
Subs: Slocombe, Clarke, Sweeney*, O.Clarke, Lines**, Gaffney***, Moore.

Made quite a few changes to the side with Traore and Owusu-Abeyie coming in to make their debuts. Glad to stop the rot in terms of defeats but would of been nice to get a win. I need to make sure that the players confidence does not drop- I will keep searching for a win. Swindon away next up in the Checkatrade Trophy. 

Bristol Rovers Man Of The Match:  Dominic Telford (8.3)
Next Opponent:  Swindon (A)

1st October 2017

pLzFogw.png

I didn't expect Telford to get much game time this season but he's done really well recently. We've got him on loan for the season from Stoke where his contract is up in the summer. Would love to bring him in on a permanent deal if possible.

7qyfmvT.png

3rd October 2017 - Checkatrade Trophy - Group Stage
VTu8nmQ.png

Starting XI: Smith; Partington, Lockyer; Leadbitter, Traore, Bola; Lines, Sercombe*; Gaffney**, Telford***, Moore.
Subs: Slocombe, Clarke, O.Clarke, Kuhl*, Nichols, Owusu-Abeyie**, Harrison***.

Would of liked to have got the win but it wasn't to be. Lost to Swindon who are currently in the league below us. Don't know where the next win is going to come from to be honest. Oxford up next.

Bristol Rovers Man Of The Match:  Bakaye Traore (7.1)
Next Opponent:  Oxford (H)

14th October 2017 - Sky Bet League One - Matchday 12
NOYu8Hw.png

Starting XI: Smith; Clarke, Lockyer; Leadbitter, O.Clarke, Bola; Traore, Sercombe*; Gaffney**, Moore***; Telford.
Subs: Slocombe, Partington, Lines*, Nichols, Bodin**, Owusu-Abeyie***, Harrison.

Cannot believe it. I really thought that this was going to be the game where we were going to get the win. We were 3-0 up and then completely capitulated. It's embarrassing really. We are now only one point off the relegation places. 8 matches without a win now. Need to get a win or I'll be out of a job soon.

Bristol Rovers Man Of The Match:  Marc Bola (9.0)
League Position: 18th
Next Opponent:  Shrewsbury (A)

17th October 2017 - Sky Bet League One - Matchday 13
il8YLxD.png

Starting XI: Smith; Clarke, Lockyer; Leadbitter, O.Clarke, Bola; Traore*, Sercombe; Harrison**, Bodin; Telford***.
Subs: Slocombe, Partington, Lines, Nichols*, Moore**, Owusu-Abeyie***, Gaffney.

The winless run goes on. Nice to get a point but another game without a win is painful.

Bristol Rovers Man Of The Match:  James Clarke (7.3)
League Position: 18th
Next Opponent:  Rochdale (A)

21st October 2017 - Sky Bet League One - Matchday 14
PJK88Vs.png

Starting XI: Smith; Clarke, Partington; Leadbitter, O.Clarke, Bola; Traore*, Sercombe; Harrison, Bodin**; Telford.
Subs: Slocombe, Sweeney, Lines*, Nichols, Moore, Owusu-Abeyie, Gaffney**.

We actually played quite well in this one. We had chances but unfortunately could't manage to get a goal until late on. We face Northampton next who are currently sitting second bottom so it's a huge game for us. 

Bristol Rovers Man Of The Match:  Ellis Harrison (8.3)
League Position: 20th
Next Opponent:  Northampton (A)

24th October 2017 - Sky Bet League One - Matchday 15
ThsnYgD.png

Starting XI: Smith; Clarke, Lockyer; Leadbitter, O.Clarke, Brown; Traore, Lines*; Harrison, Owusu-Abeyie**; Bodin***.
Subs: Slocombe, Bola, Sercombe*, Nichols, Moore, Telford**, Gaffney***. 

Absolutely gutted. This was a huge match for us and we bottled it. We probably just about edged it in terms of the performance but a wondergoal from Matt Crooks won it for Northampton to take us into the relegation zone. We face MK Dons next who are top of the league. We need a win and a win quickly or I will be out of a job. We just don't seem to be clicking at the moment.

Bristol Rovers Man Of The Match:  Daniel Leadbitter (7.4)
League Position: 21st
Next Opponent: MK Dons (H)

28th October 2017 - Sky Bet League One - Matchday 16
M5AJfOw.png

Starting XI: Smith; Partington, Lockyer; Leadbitter, O.Clarke, Bola; Nichols*, Sercombe; Gaffney, Bodin**, Moore***.
Subs: Slocombe, Clarke, Lines, Traore*, Harrison**, Telford***, Owusu-Abeyie.

12 matches now without a win. I thought we actually played well but MK Dons were just too strong for us. They're top of the league for a reason- same said for us- we're in the relegation zone for a reason. My job status is now 'very insecure'. We face Conference side Macclesfield next in the first round of the FA Cup. Could be a potential banana skin for us and could very well be my last game as manager of Bristol if it all goes tits up.

Bristol Rovers Man Of The Match:  Rory Gaffney (7.6)
League Position: 23rd
Next Opponent: Macclesfield (A)

Archived