Suggestion: Position Battles

CybrSlydr

Often at the beginning of a season, we're faced with the dilemma of who we are going to have play what position.  Sometimes it's the young gun trying to break into the first team against the veteran.  Sometimes it's the new transfer trying to make his mark against the established team starter.  So forth and so on.

Personally, I find friendly matches to be a bore and chore, so I delegate them to my assistant manager (along with other tasks I consider tedious).

To this end, I would LOVE to have a mechanic in the game for selecting Position Battles.

The way this would work is in the pre-season, you are presented with an option to have up to three Position Battles.  What you would then do is select up to three players per battle and have your scouts/assistants/etc collect the stats for these players in the pre-season friendlies and during camp.  These players would be told they are going to be battling for the starting spot, so give their best. 

With dynamics, you may get some push-back from the veteran or current starter telling you they're good enough and shouldn't have to fight for it, incurring a penalty to their happiness which, if they retain their spot at the end of pre-season, they would regain it.  Similarly, the young gun vying for his chance may incur a happiness bonus at being given a chance to fight for his first-team spot.  With the new dynamics system, anything is possible - even something along the lines of the veteran being told he's fighting for his spot could light a fire under them and drive them to succeed and play better.  Etc.

When the coach comes to you to set-up these position battles, you could tell them to play one in the first half and the other in the second.  Or you could have them play full-games each.  Or some combination there-of.  

Once the pre-season is over and you're looking to finalize your roster, you would receive this Position Battle report where you would get a per-game stat breakdown for each player in the battle.  With requisite happiness bonuses/penalties once you inform those players in the Position Battles on the outcome.

The whole point of this is to make it a bit simpler to get the kind of stats you would want while emulating a method that coaches use in the real world and enhancing the current game.

Thank you for your consideration!

• 11 months later...

Archived