Club based finance policies for contracts

maccataq

I think there needs to be more insistence from the club about how contracts and other financial deals are agreed. For example, I know Man Utd now have a policy where they offer 4+1 contracts, i.e. it's a 4 year deal with an option to increase by 1 year. Then of course, they will only offer 1 year contracts to players nearing the end of their careers (as most clubs do). Whilst the game will allow you to do both, realistically speaking, the manager wouldn't do the contract negotiations but I still think this is an enjoyable part of the game so I'm not suggesting it is taken out of the manager's hands. So I think when you are offering the contracts, there should be more club policies in play such as always including a optional contract extension for longer term contracts. I imagine most (if not all) clubs no matter how big include relegation clauses - it makes perfect business sense to mitigate against such risk so again these are the sorts of policies that should be forced upon you in negotiations. Also, the club should put more pressure on you to tie up contracts for important players - i.e. making sure you are opening negotiations before players enter the final 2 years of their contracts.

Not to say all clubs should be run this way because not all clubs are run so well. I mean look at Arsenal - recently they seem to have let a lot of their stars enter the final year of their contracts (Sanchez, Ozil and Oxlade-Chamberlain).

• 1 year later...

Archived