[Discussion] New instruction : Block acces to...

Scrench

Something that could add great depth to the defensive side of the game is the instruction Block acces to a certain enemy player. The setup would work similarly to the man marking system already in place.

For example: If I tell my striker to block acces to the enemy defensive midfielder than he will try to position himself in the passing lane leading to the opposition DM, using his cover shadow. This way he could prevent the enemy CB-s from building up from the back and greatly reduce the effect of the enemy DM, so the opposition have to find different routes to progress.

The main attributes to perform this kind of manouver would be: Positioning, Anticipation, Balance, Teamwork, Concentration and Work rate.

This could be a great help to pressing as it allows to have better acces to the ball, while the players also try to prevent vertical progression of the ball, or a better way to funnel play to a certain direction.

However this also means the match engine should allow more tools to outplay this kind of defensive behaviour with more lateral and dismarking movements from the players.

If anyone sees potential additions or flaws, let me know.

• 3 months later...

Archived