Head-to-head league sorting data

Just a quick one regarding league sorting data. I am currently playing as Switzerland and have just finished a campaign in the Euro International League;

I've just finished in 2nd place below Holland. We have the same number of points, so the next level of sorting according to the game is results between teams (not goal difference!). I seem to have come off worse here, even though surely by winning 1-0 at home and losing 2-3 away to the Dutch, I would beat them on away goals? (see screenshot below)

Am I missing something here or is it a bug?

5986fba3145a7_Screenshot2017-08-0609_16_06.thumb.png.72040fc3e29ac30f489ac8df74ec9aa8.png

1 hour ago, simsy91 said:

Just a quick one regarding league sorting data. I am currently playing as Switzerland and have just finished a campaign in the Euro International League;

I've just finished in 2nd place below Holland. We have the same number of points, so the next level of sorting according to the game is results between teams (not goal difference!). I seem to have come off worse here, even though surely by winning 1-0 at home and losing 2-3 away to the Dutch, I would beat them on away goals? (see screenshot below)

Am I missing something here or is it a bug?

Away goals don't count so its:

A) Results between team - You both W1 & L1 so equal.

Ai) In the game between yourself & Holland you both scored three & conceded three so GD & GS on those matches was equal.

B) Next step is overall GD  where Holland have +2 and you have +1 so Holland beat you by one goal.

If you think away goals should count and can find a reference to it stick it in the bugs forum for SI to look at.

Thanks guys for getting back to me.

Obviously the real-life Nations League doesn't start for over a year, so there aren't any published rules in place. However, according to the rules for both UEFA club competitions and internationals, away goals DO count in head-to-heads. (I should know- my team, Southampton, was knocked out by this method in the Europa League last season- it still hurts!) Please see the UEFA tiebreaker info here (on page 13).

A bit of research brings me to the Euro 2016 qualifiers, and specifically group C:

5987816b48571_Screenshot2017-08-0621_51_30.thumb.jpg.3d427b887179b8db27984b2792f4743f.jpg

As we can see here, Luxembourg finished higher than Macedonia, despite having a worse goal difference overall. Incidentally, their results were exactly the same as mine- a 1-0 home win followed by a 2-3 away defeat, which put Luxembourg ahead in the final standings on away goals.

Of course SI can only assume for a future tournament, but it seems reasonable to expect the Nations League will follow the same format as all other UEFA competitions. It's not a massive problem for me, I was predicted 2nd anyway, but still would've been nice to have a shot at glory!

Could this please be moved into the bugs forum for correction?

Archived