[FM12] Road to Nowhere

Boycott

Football Manager 2012 was the last edition which I fully got into. The series has evolved into a full blown management simulation which is great, but in my opinion too much realism can lead to the detriment of fun. The days of the 'glorified spreadsheet' was incredibly fun. That said, certain features of the modern games such as more tactical control, better interaction, the ability to add and remove leagues on the whim are revolutionary which makes trying to go back to the old games hard. You realise how dated they are. CM 01-02 holds great nostalgia and that's the way it will remain. FM 12 has the balance of advanced changes while still being a fun, sleek game to plough through without the added cluster of the more recent games. I hope to have a long save to play and hope you enjoy reading about my game world. Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My playing career ended abruptly. Actually - to be frank - it never actually started. The joy of being told by the manager I was on the cusp of the first team, to then being on the end of what turned out to be a career ending injury in training. At the time I was green. Determined I can still make it. Work hard and do all I can to recover. The manager supported me. 'How you doing, boy'? he'd ask every morning. We'd chat in his office. His door was always open to anyone. Players, coaches, club staff. The tea ladies loved him. He certainly had stories to tell. Shipyard worker during the week, star striker on Saturday afternoons. Different times. He was a journeyman towards the end of his career. Admitted he went too long playing through pain but needed the money. After calling time on playing, he ran a pub for a few years before turning to coaching. By the time I was his player, he'd been in the business for two decades. So when he got the sack two months later after a run of bad results, it didn't faze him. 'That's football, boy.' 

The new manager was not sympathetic towards me. I can understand that. To him I was a nobody. I had one conversation with him in the manager's office. 'How long are you out for?' he asked. 'The doctor said I won't be able to play for another seven months'. He didn't look up at me as I spoke.

'My players are paid to train, not paid to play. And certainly not paid to sit around for seven months. Sorry kid, you've never played for the first team before and you certainly can't now.' 

As I left the training ground for the last time I was more determined to make a successful comeback from injury. I got a job to help pay the bills. The chairman gave me a compensation packet as my contract was torn up while still injured. Not much as I was just a rookie but at least it's something to go into the savings. When I was healthy again a friend got me a trial at a local club. I was invited to play in a reserve game starting on the bench. At half time with the match one-a-piece I was subbed on. The first time in action in a year. Twenty minutes later I was off. A sharp twang as I chased a long ball. The pain was too much. That was my playing career over. 

In the twelve years that followed I returned to my job full time. Settled down in a modest manner. Football was the past. Until a few years ago when I picked up the paper and was saddened at seeing the obituary of my old manager. It brought back the memories. Turned out that job was his last in football. Retired to his family. He was a good man.

I decided to get back into football. I didn't achieve my dream of playing. Managing is the next best thing.  So I did my badges over a few years and was offered youth coaching jobs. That was fun. Working with young talents and trying to maximise their potential. Being a youth coach didn't carry the baggage of managing but that is my next step. I'm looking to start as soon as possible and see where this road takes me....

The 2011-12 season kicked off with Manchester City beating neighbours United on penalties in the Community Shield. They were the two teams tipped to fight for the title  and as I watched on - unemployed - they lived up to that expectation. Others weren't too far behind but in terms of a title race, but they had a lot of work to do to get back into contention. I had unsuccessfully applied for a job at Boston United hovering a few positions above the relegation zone of the Blue Square Bet North. I'm not sure why but maybe it was early enough into the season to attract an experienced manager to climb up the league rather than take a gamble on a rookie. At least that's what I convinced myself, so I chose to wait a few months. Likelihood is someone will be desperate enough to take a punt if the games are running out.

Sure enough I got a phone call from Nuneaton Town. Their chairman had received my CV and with the team a couple of points above the drop zone in the same league [30 points from 29 games]. I had studied their season so far before we met for a chat. They had only won eight league games. Two of which came in recent weeks. Their previous manager was sacked following back to back losses - their fourteenth and fifteenth respectively in the league. And they'd been eliminated from the FA Trophy in the third round. Only seven clean sheets all season. However there were goals in them. They only failed to score in six league games out of twenty-nine.

If I get the job my priority is to drill the team in training. Set-plays, crosses, long balls. The small percentages that can be the factor in staying up or going down. 

When I arrived for discussions, the chairman offered me the job immediately. My hunch was right - he's desperate. So my first job in management is with a small club in Warwickshire who relaunched in 2008. Not much history at all although Malcolm Christie - once of Derby fame - began his career at what was then Nuneaton Borough. 

If we get relegated we drop out of the pyramid and I lose my job. Fair cop. I'm going to make sure that doesn't happen. 

I started my job on the 10th February 2012. After a short conversation with the chairman who outlined the background of the club I went into my office for the very time. The chairman left behind a financial overview. A few pages detailing our income, expenditure and balance. We were in the red not surprisingly. In the summer I plan to cut the wage bill by letting go some of the older players who haven't been played much by my predecessor. Of course he may have got that wrong. Maybe there are one or two veterans whose experience would have earned more points. I'll be the judge of that now. Then a knock came on the door. My staff had arrived ready to brief me on the playing squad. I didn't make any changes to the backroom team - how could I? I don't know anything about these players and I have no one to turn to. 

'Welcome to the club. I suppose I should call you gaffer...." my assistant, an Irishman named Ken Gillard broke the ice.

"Call me boss. Now give me the low-down on the squad. I want to know strengths but first give me the weaknesses."  

I was told our highest rated midfielder, Kevin Thornton, had signed a pre-contract with Cork City. I didn't see the problem with that. He'll go when the season ends and until then he's our player and available for selection. 

'He's not.' the physio informed. 

Thornton suffered a knee injury in January and is unlikely to make it back to full fitness before the end of the season. In other words, he has already played his last game for the club.

'My players are paid to train, not paid to play. And certainly not paid to sit around for seven months. Sorry kid, you've never played for the first team before and you certainly can't now.' 

Those words echoed into my mind immediately. I half-wanted to tell Thornton to go to Cork now and do his recovery at his new club. But I thought otherwise. Being on the receiving end of that dismissal was cruel. I didn't even have anywhere to go, at least he's got a club paying his wages currently and a club lined up who would have to pay compensation if they break the agreement now.

"Try and get him fit as soon as possible. We need everyone pulling in the same direction here. Even if they've pledged their future elsewhere. Now talk to me about the defence"

I was told our lack of depth was a concern. The scout handed me a list of players who may want to join. All were free transfers. Some I saw footage of and thought they're rubbish. Two caught the eye. Martin Camano, an Argentine center half and Joshua Dale, a young defender who can play at center half or left back. Their wage demands were reasonable and I expect them to be important to our squad.  I asked why right-back Nikki Ahamed, once of Chelsea, rarely played. 

'the previous manager didn't rate him. He trained hard but Mark Albrighton or James Armson  usually play there'

Well they won't anymore. Ahamed will start my first game at right back. Albrighton [not that one] will partner skipper Gareth Dean in the heart of defence. Armson is extremely versatile [plays all along the right wing and midfield] so he gives us options. And a young striker named Christiano Kishuka caught my eye in training. He didn't play at all under the previous manager, but his speed and movement caused our defenders problems in practice and if we can get the ball forwards maybe he'll cause the opposition problems.

Our first game was the very next day. 

"Right boys, I won't say much. Share the passion of the crowd who have come to watch you, follow my instructions and I'm sure we'll do well."

My first ever team talk. Hardly Churchilian I know but with just one day after taking the job I'm not going to start complicating things now. It's a process. I still don't know my players well, although I saw enough in training to decide to start some players from the cold. We need to pull away from the drop and with thirteen games left we can't leave it too late. At the same time I will use this performance, and the coming few games to make an assessment of my best team. A late surge will likely be good enough to secure our status. Better to peak late than never at all. 

Alcock; Nisevic, Albrighton, Dean [C], Ahamed; Glover, Mills, Walker, Armson; York, Kishuka

We've conceded too many goals. My job is to rectify that. To get some stability back and I believe keeping things simple is the best way to go. Full backs don't have much license to go forward. Not yet anyway. Wide players are expected to track back and when out of possession I want my players to keep the shape. We're not going to press all over the pitch. But we're not parking the bus either. Walker has the ability to unlock the defence and I want him to make runs forward. York and Kishuka have more creative freedom and I think can make a good pair. On the bench we have limited options but I will see what needs to be done. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Keep the concentration. We're doing okay but capable of more. There's only one goal in this game. Go out and get it"

The first half was a drab affair. Not too many moments to talk about. Two teams cancelling each other out. For the spectators this game needs an early goal in the second half to come to life but I'm not willing to open up yet. Jamie Clarke, a young striker the previous manager signed just weeks earlier has been sent out to warm up. We'll wait until sixty to make a decision.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Well done lads. More of the same."

We won. 1-0 - skipper Gareth Dean with an 82nd minute header from a corner. We shaded the game I'd say and were robust and focused. I am happy with the performance knowing they worked hard for it. We have a tough run of fixtures coming up and the players need to be ready for it. I need to be ready for it. My old manager often said a 1-0 win is the perfect win. Well my first game as a manager was perfect. But it's just the start.  

2011/12 Review

I arrived to Nuneaton in February with thirteen games to go. Thirteen games to keep the club in the Blue Square North. Thirteen games to show I deserve the job permanently. 

February 11th: Nuneaton 1-0 Gainsborough [Gareth Dean]
February 18th: Blyth 0-0 Nuneaton
February 25th: Corby 1-0 Nuneaton

March 3rd: Nuneaton 1-2 Droylsden [Christiano Kishuka]
March 10th: Nuneaton 2-0 Guisley [Christiano Kishuka x2]
March 18th: Gloucester 0-1 Nuneaton [Christiano Kishuka]
March 24th: Nuneaton 1-0 Altrincham [Christiano Kishuka]
March 31st: Harrogate 0-0 Nuneaton

April 7th: Hinchley 2-0 Nuneaton
April 9th: Nuneaton 1-1 Bishop Stortford [Pablo Counago]
April 14th: Worcester 2-0 Nuneaton
April 21st: Nuneaton 2-0 Workington [Christiano Kishuka, own goal]
April 28th: Boston Utd 1-1 Nuneaton [Danny Glover]

March was a very good month thanks to the supreme form of Kishuka. The Droylsden defeat irritated me because we took the lead shortly into the second half and conceded two stupid goals - the winning goal being a mistake from our goalkeeper Danny Alcock who misjudged the flight of the ball from a cross. Six clean sheets in my first eight games suggested the players had grasped my methods quickly but then we started April off terribly. One point from nine, including two defeats to teams around us dragged us back into contention for the drop. The home win against Workington meant we went into the final day with our fate in our own hands. Boston Utd, who turned me down, had to beat us to stay up. A point would do for us. At half time we were a goal down. Forty-five minutes from dropping out of the league. Forty-five minutes from losing our job. 

As you can see I had signed Pablo Counago, the former Ipswich striker. Nearing the end of his career I thought his experience would help our cause. Unfortunately it didn't really click. Just the one goal from nine games. But he produced a fabulous delivery in the 72nd minute to set up Danny Glover to equalise. That was how it remained. We stayed up to Boston's expense. Some of these players, including Glover will leave the club at the end of the season. Danny's goal was his tenth of the campaign, but only his first for me. We've had a problem getting goals and if it wasn't for Kishuka, we'd have gone down. Credit to me for giving him a chance! 

Next season I want to aim for top-half, possibly play-offs. The lower leagues are volatile. One season you can be down the gutter, the next flying high. It's less about skill and talent, but will and determination. And fitness. Our team's fitness levels were shocking. A new coach is needed in that department.

I believe Pablo can come good with a pre-season under his belt, and the players showed signs of resilience which in this league is important. I will discuss the situation with the board when they offer me a new contract. For now, we finished 19th with 49 points. One place and two points above relegation. There is much work to do. 

World Football 2011-12

Premier League

• Manchester United won the Premier League finishing top with 81 points. It was an extremely tight race with them and Manchester City who were pipped by just two points. Wayne Rooney led the way for United with 19 league goals and seven assists which earned him the Player of the Year award.
  • Liverpool and Arsenal finished some way off the top two but qualified for the Champions League in third and fourth respectively. Arsenal pipped Tottenham to 4th on goal difference.
  • Norwich, Newcastle and Blackburn are relegated.
  • Peter Crouch won the Golden Boot with 24 goals.

FA Cup

• Stoke beat Wolves 4-3 in the Final to win their first major trophy since 1972. The Potters finished 8th in the league so cup victory secures them a place in next season's Europa League at the expense of Sunderland [7th].

League Cup

• Championship side Hull beat Fulham 2-0 at Wembley to win their first major trophy ever. This qualified the Tigers for Europe next season at the expense of Chelsea [6th]. 

Notable Managerial Changes

• Chelsea finished the season in 6th which saw Roberto Di Matteo dismissed at the end of the season. Louis van Gaal is his replacement.
  • Blackburn Rovers sacked Steve Kean in February and hired club legend Alan Shearer. But like with Newcastle in 2009, he couldn't save his team from relegation. However he is staying on at the club for next season.
  • Shortly after relegation was confirmed, Alan Pardew was sacked as Newcastle boss. Michael Laudrup is the man tasked with bringing the Toon back to the top flight.
  • Norwich's relegation also led to a managerial casualty with Paul Lambert losing his job. Kevin Bond left his role as assistant manager at Tottenham to take over at Carrow Road for next season.
  • The FA Cup Final proved to be Tony Pulis' last as Stoke manager. Six years into his second stint, the baseball cap wearing icon chose for pastures new at Goodison Park after David Moyes lost his job following a disappointing season for Everton [15th]. Stoke swiftly announced their replacement............David Moyes.
  • Aston Villa and Bolton also swapped managers at the end of the season. Villa sacked Alex McLeish who has been replaced by Owen Coyle. McLeish has since taken over the vacancy left by Coyle at Bolton.

Birmingham, West Ham and Nottingham Forest have been promoted to the Premier League.

UEFA Champions League

• Manchester City beat Inter Milan 1-0 in Munich. Yaya Toure scored the only goal of the game. City beat Valencia in the Q/F and AC Milan in the S/F before winning their first ever European Cup. For Inter it was double heartbreak having lost out on the Serie A title to their neighbours on the final day.

UEFA Europa League

• Bayern Munich, having not qualified from their Champions League group, made amends by beating Ajax in the Europa League Final. A drab match which was still goalless after extra time was won by the Germans on penalties. Typical. Nonetheless it's a bitter-sweet achievement for Bayern who at the start of the season dreamed of lifting the Champions League on their home turf but a trophy is a trophy. Ajax thrashed Real Madrid 6-3 on aggregate in the S/F and will feel this was a missed opportunity as wealthier clubs are after their players.
       Other European Leagues  
  • Barcelona won La Liga fairly comfortably ahead of Real Madrid with Malaga in a distant third.
  • AC Milan retained their Serie A title after Inter slipped up away to Genoa on the final day of the season.
  • Bayern Munich regained the Bundesliga title with Hamburg and Schalke some way behind in second and third. Dortmund's title defence was disappointing as Jurgen Klopp's men have to settle for Europa League football next season having finished 5th.
  • Marseille won Ligue 1 for the second time in three seasons.
  • PSV are Eredivisie winners.
  • Shock! Horror! Celtic have won the SPL by TWENTY-ONE POINTS.

EURO 2012

Thirteen games was a roller-coaster ride. Staying up on the last day was incredible. I never want to be in that situation again, but **** you Boston. That's what you deserved for rejecting me. LOL! 

I spent the summer trying to get my mind away from football. But it was practically impossible. The European Championships were on. Every bar was showing the games, every pub had flags wrapped along the boarding. Watching the games this time was different to previous tournaments. I don't feel like a fan anymore. I don't get the kick out of England scoring and winning games. They're not my players. Is this how being a football manager is supposed to be? I live in my own little bubble away from the riches of football, and I feel satisfyingly ambivalent to it all. 

The Group Stages had some shocks. Group A consisted of Germany, Bosnia, Ukraine and Turkey. From the outset Germany should top that group and indeed they did. Two wins and a draw. Solid start from a national team who historically peak at the business end of the tournament. Bosnia took second spot with four points. 

Group B pitted England, Ireland, Slovakia and Poland together. This was a very tight group which saw three of the four teams end up on six points. Ireland finished top on goal difference and England pipped Slovakia to second spot due to the head-to-head. Robert Lewandowski failed to shine for Poland as the co-hosts were eliminated from their own party without a single point. 

Portugal, Scotland, Sweden and Holland made up Group C. Cristiano Ronaldo arrived to the tournament with massive expectations. If he fires his country to the trophy it's another remarkable landmark by one one of the games' greats. Sweden had their star man Zlatan Ibrahimovic fit and bullish as ever, while Holland with the talent of Van Persie, Sneijder, Robben, Van der Vaart and Huntelaar in their ranks are among the tournament favorites. Then there's Scotland. Hard working, passionate and patriotic. The critics didn't think much of them but the possibility of disturbing the common view will always fire up the Scots.

And they did. Scotland made it to the Q/F winning two of their three games, crucially the deciding last match against Sweden. James McFadden was the key man with two winning goals to write his name in folklore. Ronaldo scored in all three games to take Portugal to the top of the group but it was a miserable tournament for the Oranje who finished bottom losing all three matches. Team discipline was cited as a big problem with alleged training ground bust-ups on the eve of the opening game. Bert van Marwijk lost his job as a result. 

And finally it's the group of death. Italy, France, Croatia and the holders Spain are in Group D. The defending champions are expected to go all the way again. And with Xavi, Iniesta, Mata, Silva, Fabregas and so many more, rightly so. Croatia with technically supreme players in Modric, Perisic and the rugged Mario Mandzukic are tournament dark-horses, while Italy and France will look for far better showings in this tournament than they delivered in South Africa two years ago. 

Croatia's victory over Spain in the second game meant on the head-to-head ruling they topped the group. Vicente del Bosque's men took second. Italy performed well in patches - 3-0 win in the opening game against France promised much, but they go home along with Laurent Blanc's men who with just one point face the wrath of an inquest again. 

In the Q/F matches there were two tasty match-ups. England play Germany and Portugal play Spain. Croatia are expected to end Scotland's adventure, while Bosnia vs Ireland is one evenly matched. This looked to be a shoot-out between Edin Dzeko and Shane Long. 

It turned out to be less of a shoot-out and more Bosnia bringing a knife to a gun fight. 5-1 to the boys in green. Ireland are into the semi finals. 

Not just that, James McFadden and James Morrison cancelled out an early lead for Croatia to send the jocks to the next round. **** me....Ireland and Scotland can meet each other in the final. Now just imagine if England fail to make it.

Portugal against Spain was billed heavily. This was almost like a final itself. Ronaldo the Adonis against arguably the finest national team ever. The depth of quality Spain have is remarkable and it would take a herculean effort from the explosive winger to beat them. And Nani did just that. Stepping out of the shadows of his more illustrious team mate, the Manchester Utd star netted twice to send his country through. Fernando Torres scored a late goal which was no more than a consolation. The holders are out!

Now we have the old enemies. Germany lining up with Schweinsteiger, Ozil, Podolski and Muller. England with Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard and, erm......Scotty Parker. To be fair he did have a good season. But is it enough? Can England finally step up in a big tournament? Can they beat the Germans......?

Oh yes they can. Rooney and sub Aaron Lennon scored the two goals to send England to the semi finals. Podolski equalised but England were comfortable. And now they've knocked out on old enemy, now they have the auld enemy to beat. That's right........the semi finals: England vs Scotland and Portugal vs Ireland.

The pubs brimmed. The streets boisterous. What a line-up we have here! What an unexpected line up.....surely Ronaldo is licking his lips. He'll never get a better chance at international glory. 

"The boys in green rallied hard but the might of Portugal was too far. And one man in particular....Cristiano Ronaldo with the only goal of the game. Portugal are into the final, Ireland are going home but boy there will be a helluva homecoming. Final score....Portugal 1-0 Ireland"

Clive Tyldesley said it best. Ireland did themselves proud. Now Portugal wait. 

"Here's Lampard......thinks about the shot but plays it to Baines. He's got time to measure the cross...ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONEY"

The bar erupted. I sat nondescript. This is a shocking performance by England and they will have to be much better to win the final. But they're there. For the first time since '66. 

A few days passed. The excitement was palpable. I was calm. I'll only be nervous about England when I'm managing them. For now lets just enjoy the football - privately I hoped Portugal would do the job. Lets just say Stuart Pearce isn't my cup of tea.

The game kicked off. Nothing of note for the opening half an hour. Both teams perhaps nervous, definitely trying to feel each other out. Rooney vs Ronaldo was a damp squib thus far with both probably having ten touches of the ball combined. 

Then shortly before the interval Portugal got a break. A free kick by the right hand touchline a few yards away from the corner flag. Nani stood over it. Ronaldo is waiting. The stadium, the bar, everywhere went into a hush. The whistle went. Nani delivered the ball. And there was Bruno Alves to nod it home. 

"For **** sake" the bar universally exclaimed.

It's half-time and 1-0 to Portugal. The people on my table started to discuss changes. 

"He needs to bring Lennon on. We've got no outlet, no counter-attacking threat" said one. The others nodded their head in approval.

"Well first he needs to get a grip of his midfield. Meireles and Moutinho have too much time to get their heads up. Too much quality to let them do so. Gerrard's barely had a kick so I'd want him to drop deeper and start making his presence known. We've not passed the ball well at all. Lets take it slowly for now and work the ball into the box Rooney can look after himself" I gave my thoughts.

"eh up lads it's Arrigo Sacchi...!"

That got some laughs. Fair enough......I'll be laughing at the end.

Shortly into the second half Lampard levelled the scores with a low drive into the bottom corner. Then Rooney ran through but his shot was saved.................straight to Crouch. ENGLAND LEAD 2-1. 

Seventy minutes in and Portugal have the ball half-way in England's half. Miguel Veloso on as a sub sets Ronaldo away who darts past Johnson and lays it on a plate for Nelson Oliviera. 2-2.

Eighty-one minutes in and Ronaldo has the ball twenty yards out and fires towards goal. Joe Hart tips it around the post but from the resulting corner Ronaldo can't be denied. Portugal are less than ten minutes away from victory.

In desperation Stuart Pearce sends on Darren Bent. With just a few minutes left England have a throw. Glen Johnson takes it. Aaron Lennon looks up to see who is in the box. He lobs it up...headed away. Retrieved by Jones. Wide again to Baines who whips the ball into the box.............and there is WAYNE ROONEY. It's 3-3 and it's going to extra time.

I was thinking what I'd say in the situation. I'd tell the boys there's a winner here. Go out and make it ours. I'd make it known I'm proud of the lads for how much they've given. Now I need any drop left in the tank. The smallest drop can make a big difference. Most of these lads will never come close to this moment again. Heck the country has waited almost fifty years. It's now or never. No pressure.

First half of extra time passes without incident. 

The second half kicks off. 105,106,107,108.......

It's the 109th minute. John Terry launches the ball forwards. An aimless, tired hoof.........but hang on. The fresh legs of Darren Bent are ferociously hunting that ball down......and he nips in. Bent is in! BENT SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTS!!

"They think it's all over............it is now"

That's how it stayed. Portugal couldn't push any further. 

England have won Euro 2012. They'll be dancing in the streets tonight. Arise Sir Stuart Pearce! 

One day that will be me...........

New Season Musings

It's been an interesting summer. In the fall-out from the European Championships, a number of managers lost their job. Most notable are Vicente del Bosque and Laurent Blanc. I say that because their sackings left a shock in club football. Pep Guardiola surprised everyone by taking over the World Champions despite denying reports just twenty-four hours earlier. Barcelona directors didn't see that coming so Marcelo Lippi has been called to come out of retirement. A stop-gap until a long term coach is available. Lets be honest, watching Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Sanchez and all every week is a life of luxury and more or less semi-retirement. Pep is an idol in the coaching world. Young coaches do case-studies and get wooed over by everything he does. I think he's good, very good in fact. But **** me he's hardly had to work with Danny Glover and Jamie Clarke. As for France, Wenger is their new coach. Fitting his last act at Arsenal was to secure fourth on the final day! Manuel Pellegrini takes over at the library. 

Back at home [sort of], I have secured two loan signings from our parent club Coventry. Callum Wilson and Matias Fanimo. Both play across the front line and they're quick, rapid and got lots of pace. I'm expecting good things from them. Along with them is a young right back named Padraig Gilsenan. He was free and willing to be a back up. I have Ahamed and Armson but a third right sided player is very handy. To achieve good results we need balance. Plain and simple. 

As for outgoings, Kevin Thornton ****ed off without much in way of dialogue between us in the four months I've been here. Lee Moore left for Barrow. He was *****. Gary Mills started most games for me and he was decent but he asked for too much money to renew his contract. He walked on a free. So did Glover, Guy Hardland (reserve keeper) and Graham Ward (back up midfielder) - but that was me not giving them new deals. 

I think our squad is durable to get through to January. To be honest I've no idea what to expect from my first full season as a manager. It's a challenge I look forward to. I want the fans to be enthused. I want to see something grow. But things could easily fly in my face. Football eh...

All is Well

I'm sitting here writing this passage as Barack Obama is delivering his victory speech after being re-elected President of the United States. It's a cold, rainy November night. Winter is here but he speaks with words of warmth. He's a brilliant speaker. Probably the best orator I've heard, certainly out of the ones in public office. As we live in the moment all is well. Promises of hope and a glorious future are heard time and again. Ultimately history will judge. One of my favorite quotes comes from Churchill: 'history will be kind to me for I intend to write it'. We all think so, but only a few actually fulfill it. Most of us will be forgotten soon enough but hey, there's no harm trying to build a legacy.

Our first three months have been largely positive. There were positives to carry through from the previous season from my appointment. Solidity at the back was my first port of call. We achieved that with a settled back four learning each others habits everyday in training which made us robust and hard to beat. I didn't try anything radical in training. Repetition was key. Scoring goals under me was a bit more difficult and without Kishuka we'd have not turned those scrappy draws to wins but I gave Kishuka the platform to express himself. This season I made it clear to the players we need to do more than merely survive. So we added fresh legs in attack with the Coventry boys Wilson and Fanimo. Wes York who unfortunately got a bad injury last season, is fit again now. And I told Pablo Counago pretty assertively that he's had his bedding in period. Last season was not as expected. But now is a clean slate. And boy has he responded. 

The opening game was at home to Solihull Moors. It was quite frustrating because it was a mirror of last season. Despite telling the boys the pressure was off and to enjoy themselves we didn't create anything of note. We also didn't concede anything of note and the game was a bore draw. Fortunately our next game was away to Lowestoft Town - newly promoted and pretty rubbish on the evidence of the 90 minutes. This time we got an early goal from Jamie Armson. In the second half Callum Wilson got on the end of a cross from Eddie Nisevic to score his first goal for the club and Mark Noon scored a third near the end. This was followed by another irritating 0-0 at home to Harrogate before something stunning happened. Away at Droylsden we put in a performance of champions. 6-0.....SIX ****ING NIL! Counago netted his first of the campaign which was followed by a superb breakaway leading to the Coventry boys linking up and Wilson applying the finish. Armson dispatched a free kick around 20 yards out with Kushuka and a brace from Eddie Nisevic glossing the victory near the end. 

Counago hit back to back hattricks against Halifax and Colwyn Bay and Wilson continued his great start with a goal against Altrincham. Bad news followed after our game against Tamworth however. Counago scored the only goal of the game but afterwards the physio told me he would be out for seven to eight months. No he hasn't got a ligament injury or broken leg. He's got a viral infection. Yes that's right. A viral infection ffs. At his age this may be the end of his career. Bollocks.

That set-back seemed to affect us. We laboured to a 1-1 home draw with Guisley and this was followed by back to back defeats. We put the three points on the board again at Chester but a 4-3 win papered over the cracks. That was now 10 goals conceded in three games. I pride myself on clean sheets. The lads got a rollicking in training and in particular our keeper Adam Davies who I felt was losing focus. He didn't take my words kindly sternly telling me so. I told to shut the **** up or face being on the transfer list. He's **** anyway and I would like to replace him in the future.

We did pick up a clean sheet and win in our next game against Gainsborough so our chat seemed to have some impact. 2-1 wins home and away against Southport and Alfreton closed October with us second in the table after three months. I'm happy with that.

2012-13

August:
Nuneaton 0-0 Solihull Moors
Lowestoft Town 0-3 Nuneaton [Armson, Wilson, Noon]
Nuneaton 0-0 Harrogate
Droylsden 0-6 Nuneaton [Counago, Wilson, Armson, Kishuka, Nisevic x2]

September:
Nuneaton 6-1 Halifax [Counago x3, Walker x2, Kishuka]
Colwyn Bay 1-3 Nuneaton [Counago x3]
Altrincham 0-2 Nuneaton [Wilson, Walker]
Nuneaton 1-0 Tamworth [Counago]
Nuneaton 1-1 Guisley [Fanimo]
Northwich Victoria 4-2 Nuneaton [Wilson, Fanimo]
Vauxhall 3-0 Nuneaton (FA Trophy)

October:
Chester 3-4 Nuneaton [Albrighton x2, Mewis, Noon]
Nuneaton 2-0 Gainsborough [Fanimo, Wilson]
Alfreton 1-2 Nuneaton [Fanimo, Armson]
Nuneaton 2-1 Southport [Wilson, Kishuka]

Winter Slog

I've heard all about the rigour and frustration managers get during this period of the season. At this level you regularly play three times a week. Bless the passionate and die-hard supporters who turn up on a week night to watch their team play. I mean, if you're lucky that your pitch isn't waterlogged or frozen then you may get a game going but it certainly isn't for the purists. What we're seeing is attritional, percentage football. This isn't what you want to see but us managers have a tough hand. Players drop like flies at this time of year.  Callum Wilson, Eddie Nisevic, Wes York and Mark Albrighton were out for a good period of time - thankfully not all overlapping.

I've got to do my best to manage the squad and make sure we are prepared for each game the best we possibly can. But then with it being such a grind, we have to reduce our training intensity so recovery is more important than practice. And most significantly on my part, it's a results business. Having to juggle these different factors, and ultimately needing a bit of luck [no injuries, a lucky bounce of the ball etc]. No wonder why so many managers get sacked at this time of year.  

Our blistering start didn't hold up not surprisingly. Elimination from the FA Trophy was a shame but I can focus on the league now. We're still doing well and in the play-off positions but other teams have caught up with us as we sit in fourth. We're now out of this period and can look onto the last third of the campaign. Top spot is still up for grabs. To help us in our final push, in January I signed on a free transfer an Italian striker, Alessandro Pellicori. He is a journeyman. Spent most of his time in the Italian lower leagues but a few years back ended up at QPR where he was pretty insignificant. Without Counago we haven't had so much of a focal point. The goals have been spread out but that one target man week in week out for the last few months can be the catalyst for a surge to the top. He's started off well and I sometimes think to myself 'why on earth did I not sign you earlier for **** sake...'

November:
Eastwood 0-1 Nuneaton [Martin Camano]
Blyth 2-1 Nuneaton [Matthias Fanimo]
Nuneaton 4-2 Darlington [Adam Walker, Christiano Kishuka, Jamie Armson, Matthias Fanimo]
Nuneaton 2-1 Workington [Callum Wilson, Jamie Armson]

December:
Sutton Coldfield 1-1 Nuneaton [Joshua Dale] (FA Trophy 1st Round)
Nuneaton 3-0 Sutton Coldfield [Matthias Fanimo, Christiano Kishuka, Eddie Nisevic] (Replay)
Hyde 1-1 Nuneaton [Own Goal]
Nuneaton 1-1 Newport County [Martin Camano] (FA Trophy 2nd Round)
Newport County 4-2 Nuneaton [Mark Albrighton, Nikki Ahamed] (Replay)
Stalybridge 0-1 Nuneaton [Matthias Fanimo]
Solihull Moors 3-0 Nuneaton

Janaury:
Nuneaton 2-0 Lowestoft Town [Christiano Kishuka x2]
Harrogate 2-0 Nuneaton
Nuneaton 0-2 Droylsden
FC Halifax 1-2 Nuneaton [Adam Walker, Jamie Armson]
Nuneaton 1-1 Colwyn Bay [Gareth Dean]
Nuneaton 2-1 Bury Town [Alessandro Pellicori, Matthias Fanimo]

February:
Nuneaton 1-1 Altrincham [Callum Wilson]
Tamworth 1-3 Nuneaton [Alessandro Pellicori x2, Nikki Ahamed]