Team evaluation

I always used something away from the game.

20 years ago it started with pen & paper before quickly advancing to a spreadsheet.

Over the years I increased the amount of information I included but in the last five or so years as FM has progressed I'm limiting the info on the spreadsheet.

Currently its relatively simply, along the top I list the main positions and then underneath I list the players, their age, their CA/PA in stars, personality, their contract (wages + when it expires) and I have a spare column for notes that I tend to use mainly for weaknesses like big matches/intelligence/consistency/injury prone.

I update it twice a season, usually before the January window & again at the end of the season - Basically before the transfer windows.

It just gives me a brief overview of each position that I can look at as a reminder which the game is processing.  It quickly shows me which players I'll need to replace and which positions I'm short at.

25 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

I always used something away from the game.

20 years ago it started with pen & paper before quickly advancing to a spreadsheet.

Over the years I increased the amount of information I included but in the last five or so years as FM has progressed I'm limiting the info on the spreadsheet.

Currently its relatively simply, along the top I list the main positions and then underneath I list the players, their age, their CA/PA in stars, personality, their contract (wages + when it expires) and I have a spare column for notes that I tend to use mainly for weaknesses like big matches/intelligence/consistency/injury prone.

I update it twice a season, usually before the January window & again at the end of the season - Basically before the transfer windows.

It just gives me a brief overview of each position that I can look at as a reminder which the game is processing.  It quickly shows me which players I'll need to replace and which positions I'm short at.

All positions or do you have already a tactic system in your mind?

17 minutes ago, foskikaiser92 said:

All positions or do you have already a tactic system in your mind?

I generally list GK, DL, DR, DC, MC, ML, MR & ST.

Players all fit into one of those positions, WBs I list at DL/DR, DMs & AMCs I list as MCs, AMLs/AMRs are listed as either ML/MR or ST depending on their type.

I based it on a 442 originally but it works for any formation/tactical system as players fall into at least one of those standard positions.

7 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

I generally list GK, DL, DR, DC, MC, ML, MR & ST.

Players all fit into one of those positions, WBs I list at DL/DR, DMs & AMCs I list as MCs, AMLs/AMRs are listed as either ML/MR or ST depending on their type.

I based it on a 442 originally but it works for any formation/tactical system as players fall into at least one of those standard positions.

Ok and generally which are the conditions to consider a player not good enough so to sell or to get rid of?

And to decide the position do you look to the green dots?

12 minutes ago, foskikaiser92 said:

Ok and generally which are the conditions to consider a player not good enough so to sell or to get rid of?

Gut feeling from watching games mainly.

But generally once an older player drops to 2* I'll take closer note of them and start to plan to replace them.  For younger players I try to involved them once they get to 1.5* and then if they don't show improvement over a couple of seasons I'll look to move them on.

Once you've been at a club for a couple of seasons you should be able to name every player in your main squad along with how they fit in ie starting striker, rotation DR who is a bit inconsistent etc.

12 minutes ago, foskikaiser92 said:

And to decide the position do you look to the green dots?

Yeah, I try to list players by their natural position but also include them if they play elsewhere.

So for an example a player who is listed as ST/AMRL in FM is a natural ST who can also play left or right wing (accomplished).  So I would list his info at ST but then also include his name at ML/MR with "See ST" next to him so I know he can play there but isn't a main choice.

1 minute ago, Cougar2010 said:

Gut feeling from watching games mainly.

But generally once an older player drops to 2* I'll take closer note of them and start to plan to replace them.  For younger players I try to involved them once they get to 1.5* and then if they don't show improvement over a couple of seasons I'll look to move them on.

Once you've been at a club for a couple of seasons you should be able to name every player in your main squad along with how they fit in ie starting striker, rotation DR who is a bit inconsistent etc.

Yeah, I try to list players by their natural position but also include them if they play elsewhere.

So for an example a player who is listed as ST/AMRL in FM is a natural ST who can also play left or right wing (accomplished).  So I would list his info at ST but then also include his name at ML/MR with "See ST" next to him so I know he can play there but isn't a main choice.

These infos are useful for me to understand how to build the structure at the beginning. Because the squad report given by my staff tells me where e what to buy but not where to sell so following the team report over the years i risk to have a team made up of 30+ players. Do you understand me?

2 minutes ago, foskikaiser92 said:

You are not in very good conditions,only 2,5 and 2 stars players

Nope, its a new save and I've only been in charge a couple of months.

Its also the weakest area of the current squad.  Hoping to sign one more DC and he'll start with probably Rossi who is currently listed at DL but natural at both DL & DC.  The three listed at DC will then provide backup.

1 minute ago, Cougar2010 said:

Nope, its a new save and I've only been in charge a couple of months.

Its also the weakest area of the current squad.  Hoping to sign one more DC and he'll start with probably Rossi who is currently listed at DL but natural at both DL & DC.  The three listed at DC will then provide backup.

Good good...about the previous question to this what do you think?

15 minutes ago, foskikaiser92 said:

These infos are useful for me to understand how to build the structure at the beginning. Because the squad report given by my staff tells me where e what to buy but not where to sell so following the team report over the years i risk to have a team made up of 30+ players. Do you understand me?

This one?

I sell/release any players who I don't use in general.

I also know approx how many players I need at each position.  So if I'm playing four at the back I know five DCs is too many and I won't be able to keep them all happy so at least one will have to go.  I don't actively try to sell players unless the player requests a transfer but I also don't renew contracts just for the sake of it.

Looking at my pic above I have two DCs there whose contract runs out at the end of this season.  Durante is 35yo, in decline and I'm not planning on him starting.  Over the next season he'll probably drop at least 0.5*, maybe a full star so already I'm thinking about releasing him at the end of the season.  Lowry is younger but he'll still only be 24yo next year, he might improve a little but probably not enough to be a starter.  Generally I'm also thinking about letting him go but that would leave me with only one natural DC + any I sign in the next year.  At the moment the plan is to leave his contract, review how he plays during the season and decide closer to the end of his contract whether to keep him or not for another year.

17 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

This one?

I sell/release any players who I don't use in general.

I also know approx how many players I need at each position.  So if I'm playing four at the back I know five DCs is too many and I won't be able to keep them all happy so at least one will have to go.  I don't actively try to sell players unless the player requests a transfer but I also don't renew contracts just for the sake of it.

Looking at my pic above I have two DCs there whose contract runs out at the end of this season.  Durante is 35yo, in decline and I'm not planning on him starting.  Over the next season he'll probably drop at least 0.5*, maybe a full star so already I'm thinking about releasing him at the end of the season.  Lowry is younger but he'll still only be 24yo next year, he might improve a little but probably not enough to be a starter.  Generally I'm also thinking about letting him go but that would leave me with only one natural DC + any I sign in the next year.  At the moment the plan is to leave his contract, review how he plays during the season and decide closer to the end of his contract whether to keep him or not for another year.

Yes...i understand...so team report is completely rubbish?for example my staff suggests better depth in gk but i have 2 gk both on 3 stars

5 minutes ago, foskikaiser92 said:

Yes...i understand...so team report is completely rubbish?for example my staff suggests better depth in gk but i have 2 gk both on 3 stars

Not completely rubbish but needs context.

I like to have two first team GKs and then a third option which is probably a youth player with potential who sits on the bench if one of the main GKs get injured.

23 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

Not completely rubbish but needs context.

I like to have two first team GKs and then a third option which is probably a youth player with potential who sits on the bench if one of the main GKs get injured.

Last thing you said that don't sell players actively so how do you get rid of players in exceed in a role?

Just now, foskikaiser92 said:

Last thing you said that don't sell players actively so how do you get rid of players in exceed in a role?

???

As in when I have too many?

I just leave them until either their contract expires & I release them or they complain about playing time and I agree to loan or sell them.

13 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

???

As in when I have too many?

I just leave them until either their contract expires & I release them or they complain about playing time and I agree to loan or sell them.

So you don't make attempts to place them to other teams. I consider myself a newbie and for me team report remains a tool to use so much

Archived