[FM16] 4-1-2-3 Wide Lazio, opinions/help

I have started a new save with Lazio. I am looking for some pointers in my tactic. Feel free to share any thoughts you have, I might not be asking the right questions. I apologize in advance for all the "dotting", I can't handle my train of thought if I write in sentences.

The tactic

58c532367ef7e_FM16Laziooverview.thumb.jpg.fc9aa02f6752c3078332bd994a3ca071.jpg

Reasoning behind TI's:

• Play out of defense to bring the ball up in a controlled matter instead of just kicking it up the field and hoping the lone striker/winger can win it and hold on to it.
  • Lower tempo, not because I want to necessarily tiki-taka my way into the box, but to help players not to rush while in possession. Hoping it wont restrict them from abusing out of position defences quickly when possible.
  • Be more expressive so my attacking players with decent amounts of flair are not restricted in their actions.
  • I didn't add the exploit right wing because even though I want the play to end up on the right side, it doesn't mean that the ball shouldn't come up the left side or the center.

Added player instructions:

• Left wing back (a) - Stay wider
  • Central defenders (d) - none
  • Right wing back (a) - Stay wider
  • Anchor man (d) - Close down less, tackle harder
  • Advanced playmaker (s) - Close down less, tackle harder
  • Central midfielder (a) - Close down much more
  • Inside forward on the left (s) - Shoot less often, sit narrower, hold up ball, close down much more
  • Winger on the right (s) - Close down much more
  • Deep lying forward (s/a)- Shoot less often, close down much more

Basically what I'm looking for in possession is that we create a superiority in numbers to the right flank while the left wing back keeps width trying to force opposition to sit a bit wider and create holes from which to break through using the numbers in our advantage. This can also of course be turned another way around so that the attack is coming from the left flank.

Out of possession I'm looking for the top 3 and the attacking CM to keep opposition busy, maybe win the ball back, and try to force them for a long ball, preferably to the center of the pitch where we should have two players (and central defenders) sitting and waiting for the long ball. Also hoping the high press would buy some time for the wing backs to track back to defence.

I do make some tweaks for games, for example on Champions League qualifiers against Manchester United away I played with counter, normal tempo and a bit deeper line and against the poorer teams I have tried to maybe encourage some roaming and kicking up the risk factor to control. Still a bit shaky on what to do against the most defensive tactics. These changes I try to make during game rather than before depending on what I see or do not see. Also have been going for fluid shape.

Results

58c5395feb551_FM16Lazioschedule.thumb.png.404f2702abeff4c3cbb38f1eaaf8fa61.png

So far, so good but I am not totally happy with everything I see on the pitch, sometimes I struggle immensly to create chances, good examples being both Juventus games and a few games against lesser sides like Verona and also the latest Carpi match was difficult. Of course, I realise that you can't always win but I'm hoping for insight in which parts of my game are likely to deteriorate after the good form drops off and what are the parts of my tactic that you find exploitable when AI catches on etc etc.

Questions/thoughts/topics of conversation

• Is it possible to get the IF more involved on the other wing? How would I go about doing so? I would like to see him basically further to the right when the game is there instead of staying in an mid-leftish position. Would possibly a player with "play through center" PPM help? I've thought about enabling roaming for him but I feel his decision making and off the ball attribute are not good enough, but with a right player, maybe later on it would help?
  • The sides of my AP and CM, I feel that when the supporting AP is on the left, he could help out with the absence of the left winger in transitioning to defense. On the other hand, if he was on the right side he would be more involved in the play..
  • Which role would you use for the striker in this scenario? Complete forward rather than Deep Lying Forward?

Please don't restrict yourselfs to these topics, just some thoughts I have. All feedback is welcome.

The only thing I can think of to get your inside forward to play more centrally or help out more, try a player preferred role? Sorry this is a short reply, only thing I can think of. Other than that, just analyse the game after, look at the general passing area, the way your team play and look at ways you can improve. 

Spoiler

Your tactic looks pretty balanced and your results certainly indicate that as they're really good. A few things you could try to increase the goals without losing your defensive solidity (only try one thing at a time):

Personally starting as standard mentality I would have the striker in an attacking role.  Your IF, AP and CM (a) will try occupying the space your dlf already is in. This might explain some of your lack of penetration vs smaller teams. I would choose which of your IF or striker should be your main goalscoring threat, Id try CF (a) role with the idea of your CM (a) supporting in the box and AP having them as passing alternatives ahead of him, the IF beside the AP and the left full back and winger as wide options. The other alternative is putting your IF as attack and leaving the rest.

Personally Ive not seen great combos with an attacking full back with a winger in AMC strata so I would put the right back on support if using IF or striker on attack. Or possibly inverted full back so that he will fill in where your CM (a) leaves space. (If you see great combos in game between your right wing back and winger ignore that ofc)

Generally regarding your if not getting involved enough id try removing hold up ball and see if the makes more central runs that way, I can see him sitting narrow already ordered to hold up ball, then the AP will be beside him with CM running past. Then add your DLF who will also be there, he's probably then passing to one of them instead of being a threat by cutting inside with the ball.

I will say again, I totally get the wanting to win 5-0 instead of 2-0, but be careful about too many tweaks, youve lost one game in 13 competitive matches :thup:

I'm not a fan fo the combinations WB (A) and W (S), don't think an winger and a Wing back can combine at the same side.

Second, i don't like the 2 full backs attacking, even worse for me when you have a talent like Felipe Anderson, who should be attacking and creating chances, therefore i'd use his Full back supporting. 

To summarize, i'd go for a FB (A) at the right side, and a WB/FB (S) and IF (A) at the left. Candreva remains as W (S). But these are my views to create a more dimensional and unpredictable team.

Cheers,
Bitner 

On 13.3.2017 at 15:15, Paulinho1111111 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Your tactic looks pretty balanced and your results certainly indicate that as they're really good. A few things you could try to increase the goals without losing your defensive solidity (only try one thing at a time):

Personally starting as standard mentality I would have the striker in an attacking role.  Your IF, AP and CM (a) will try occupying the space your dlf already is in. This might explain some of your lack of penetration vs smaller teams. I would choose which of your IF or striker should be your main goalscoring threat, Id try CF (a) role with the idea of your CM (a) supporting in the box and AP having them as passing alternatives ahead of him, the IF beside the AP and the left full back and winger as wide options. The other alternative is putting your IF as attack and leaving the rest.

Personally Ive not seen great combos with an attacking full back with a winger in AMC strata so I would put the right back on support if using IF or striker on attack. Or possibly inverted full back so that he will fill in where your CM (a) leaves space. (If you see great combos in game between your right wing back and winger ignore that ofc)

Generally regarding your if not getting involved enough id try removing hold up ball and see if the makes more central runs that way, I can see him sitting narrow already ordered to hold up ball, then the AP will be beside him with CM running past. Then add your DLF who will also be there, he's probably then passing to one of them instead of being a threat by cutting inside with the ball.

I will say again, I totally get the wanting to win 5-0 instead of 2-0, but be careful about too many tweaks, youve lost one game in 13 competitive matches :thup:

I have started playing the inside forward role in attacking duty and it's been giving me more dangerous looking attack than before. I don't get him to go as far to the right as I'd like but I've come to terms with it. I also agree after observation that the right flank is not the best pair-up in terms of what how they link up with each other. Even though, my winger and right back do have the highest average ratings on the team. I hate it that there is no generic role in the AMR/AML strata. I have a great player in Candreva who has great crossing and I don't really wish to limit that too much and all the other roles in AMR are limiting crossing.

I am intrigued by playing the right back as inverted wing back, as that is a role I have never tried. Maybe after a few games I'll take a look.

Thanks for the reply.

On 13.3.2017 at 16:08, Bitner said:

I'm not a fan fo the combinations WB (A) and W (S), don't think an winger and a Wing back can combine at the same side.

Second, i don't like the 2 full backs attacking, even worse for me when you have a talent like Felipe Anderson, who should be attacking and creating chances, therefore i'd use his Full back supporting. 

To summarize, i'd go for a FB (A) at the right side, and a WB/FB (S) and IF (A) at the left. Candreva remains as W (S). But these are my views to create a more dimensional and unpredictable team.

Cheers,
Bitner 

Thanks for the tip, did this with supporting left wing back and gave more freedom to my inside forward(s) who are great players for the part (Anderson, Keita) and have been looking more dangerous in attack without really losing a step defensively. Thanks for the reply.

Forgot to add my opposition instructions to the original post. I have tight marking on the CM's and AMC's and tackle hard on CM's. This is to help solidify the middle in defense.

Also thought the squad could be playing with a bit less space in between each other so I switched the shape from flexible to fluid.

1 minute ago, v2 said:

Thanks for the tip, did this with supporting left wing back and gave more freedom to my inside forward(s) who are great players for the part (Anderson, Keita) and have been looking more dangerous in attack without really losing a step defensively. Thanks for the reply.

Forgot to add my opposition instructions to the original post. I have tight marking on the CM's and AMC's and tackle hard on CM's. This is to help solidify the middle in defense.

Also thought the squad could be playing with a bit less space in between each other so I switched the shape from flexible to fluid.

Happy to see my advice helping you. :)

Cheers,
Bitner 

Archived