I've got bored of 4-3-3

Hi everyone, I'm currently managing Juventus in 2018/9 season; after two years of domination with a 4-1-2-3 which was able to win and retain both Serie A title and Champions League title i got bored of seeing every single match the same things.

I'm willing to set-up a 4-4-2ish system that can provide me good ball possession and good pressing once we recover the ball. I'm finding quite hard achieving my aim even because my opposition usually sits very deep; can you help me tweak this tactic anyhow to make it work :)

Thank you so much

20170304115500_1.jpg

20170304115446_1.jpg

I forgot to mention what my problem are, basically we're pretty good on defence, though we struggle a lot scoring, I end up drawing 0-0 3 matches in a row, which I would have won pretty easily with my 433 system 

Remarkably close to my 4-3-3 , without all those team instructions though.  It is such a solid formation, because it offers solidity in defence, with players in very attacking positions too.  I really should try something a bit different, but in season 9 now, and have built a squad to fit the 4-3-3.

Surprised your 4-4-2 is doing well defensively and not scoring, maybe you have solid defenders ? Or very good players in center midfield? 

How much of an influence on the matches is your wm (s) on the left ? I can see your idea, I assume he cuts inside ?  So you want the  FB (a) to bomb past him.  I would say ditch the look for overlap team instruction, as you are already doing that on the left, and you don't really want it on the right side I don't think, because you are using  W (A) and a FB on support to support just behind him. I've really had some (fun) using an inverted wing back behind a winger, seems to work quite well. Doesn't matter about the footedness from my experiences, but I guess it depends what you want.  Might be worth trying the WM (s) on an attack duty too, see how it goes, you will still get the overlap, but you will have more of an attacking threat down that left side. 

I would have a think about all those team instructions too, not saying they can't work, but it's worth thinking about if you need them all (at all times at least)  very short passing with a high tempo is quite hard to pull off, then you have run at defence too, I would start by removing some of them and see how it looks. Work ball in to the box is one I don't use too much, it definitely seems to knock your potency down a little in attack, I only use it in specific situations. 

When you said 4-3-3 i thought you meant a flat narrow 4-3-3. That is a 4-3-3 but in game its known as a 4-1-2-3 DM which is a formation i do like myself when i have at least one quality DM (and one to back him up). Just happened to notice with that 4-3-3 you have pass it shorter and pass into space. The two dont go together...pass into space is for direct passes played into space often behind an opposition high D line...not a players' feet which is what you want with shorter passing. Something to bear in mind.

12 hours ago, Torskus77 said:

Remarkably close to my 4-3-3 , without all those team instructions though.  It is such a solid formation, because it offers solidity in defence, with players in very attacking positions too.  I really should try something a bit different, but in season 9 now, and have built a squad to fit the 4-3-3.

Surprised your 4-4-2 is doing well defensively and not scoring, maybe you have solid defenders ? Or very good players in center midfield? 

How much of an influence on the matches is your wm (s) on the left ? I can see your idea, I assume he cuts inside ?  So you want the  FB (a) to bomb past him.  I would say ditch the look for overlap team instruction, as you are already doing that on the left, and you don't really want it on the right side I don't think, because you are using  W (A) and a FB on support to support just behind him. I've really had some (fun) using an inverted wing back behind a winger, seems to work quite well. Doesn't matter about the footedness from my experiences, but I guess it depends what you want.  Might be worth trying the WM (s) on an attack duty too, see how it goes, you will still get the overlap, but you will have more of an attacking threat down that left side. 

I would have a think about all those team instructions too, not saying they can't work, but it's worth thinking about if you need them all (at all times at least)  very short passing with a high tempo is quite hard to pull off, then you have run at defence too, I would start by removing some of them and see how it looks. Work ball in to the box is one I don't use too much, it definitely seems to knock your potency down a little in attack, I only use it in specific situations. 

Basically I think I'm not conceding because of my exceptional defenders..

I tweaked the 442 a little bit more, pushing up the d-line, marking tight and with a very fluid mentality (That is, as I understood, the amount of freedom the players have). I indeed changed the WM to attack duty, I moved the playmaker to the MC strata, making him a DLP(s), I changed the Trequartista to a more customizable AM(a) and the striker to a CF(s), I tried to get more movement in the attacking third and after loads of tweaks I think I got this :) 

(Sorry for my English that may not be exceptional :D)

9 hours ago, cns180784 said:

When you said 4-3-3 i thought you meant a flat narrow 4-3-3. That is a 4-3-3 but in game its known as a 4-1-2-3 DM which is a formation i do like myself when i have at least one quality DM (and one to back him up). Just happened to notice with that 4-3-3 you have pass it shorter and pass into space. The two dont go together...pass into space is for direct passes played into space often behind an opposition high D line...not a players' feet which is what you want with shorter passing. Something to bear in mind.

Actually I clicked Pass ball into space by mistake while taking the screenshot, so it's disabled 

32 minutes ago, bambos04 said:

Basically I think I'm not conceding because of my exceptional defenders..

I tweaked the 442 a little bit more, pushing up the d-line, marking tight and with a very fluid mentality (That is, as I understood, the amount of freedom the players have). I indeed changed the WM to attack duty, I moved the playmaker to the MC strata, making him a DLP(s), I changed the Trequartista to a more customizable AM(a) and the striker to a CF(s), I tried to get more movement in the attacking third and after loads of tweaks I think I got this :) 

(Sorry for my English that may not be exceptional :D)

I am sure your English is fine, and better than some people who only know English , and definitely better than me in any other language you choose to mention ! 

Having a good idea what you want from your team is the key, doesn't matter if it totally bombs at first, as long as you stick to your original plan, and make small adjustments at a time to try and get where  you want to be. Sounds like you are getting there. Having good defenders can cover up for quite a lot, and there is nothing wrong with that either in my opinion.  Having a good system is important, but in the end players win football matches, If Brian Clough said that, I'm not going to argue. 

Archived