Want to run as many leagues as I can, while still having reasonable game speed...

Hey all, 

Apologies if this kind of question has been asked before, but I'm new to the forum and haven't found a thread directly addressing my question. 

Anyway, I ordered a new laptop today and I'm hoping that it will perform a lot better than the laptop I have been using to play FM 2017. 

The big thing for me is that I love the idea of starting a long-term save with as many leagues from as many countries as possible, while still having reasonable processing speed. 

The basic specs for my old Toshiba laptop are as follows: RAM 4GB, Intel Pentium CPU 1.60GHz, & 64-bit OS

The corresponding specs for my new Lenovo laptop are: RAM 12GB, Intel Core i5-6200U Dual-core processor 2.36-2.8GHz, & Windows 10 OS

Based on those specs, can I reasonably expect that the new laptop will be able to handle a lot more in terms of leagues and players in a save? 

Also, would it be a good idea to look to add more RAM or is there a better way to look to make the laptop handle more in terms of processing speed?

Thanks in advance!

MB

Welcome to the forums

Yes, your new machine will be better able to handle a larger workload.  Personally I think that 12GB RAM is plenty for dealing with FM and there are few reasons to think that your processor will not also do a good job for you.  Having bought a new machine, I suggest that you tailor your game to the computer and not the other way round.

Number of leagues against game speed is a personal choice and there is no correct formula for deciding this. What you consider adequate game speed others may think it is slow or fast, so I would find out what is good for you and set it at that.  I would suggest though that if you are intending to manage with one of the larger teams/leagues, there is little point in cluttering up you game with small countries/leagues and players that will never be  of any interest to you

3 minutes ago, FrazT said:

Welcome to the forums

Yes, your new machine will be better able to handle a larger workload.  Personally I think that 12GB RAM is plenty for dealing with FM and there are few reasons to think that your processor will not also do a good job for you.  Having bought a new machine, I suggest that you tailor your game to the computer and not the other way round.

Number of leagues against game speed is a personal choice and there is no correct formula for deciding this. What you consider adequate game speed others may think it is slow or fast, so I would find out what is good for you and set it at that.  I would suggest though that if you are intending to manage with one of the larger teams/leagues, there is little point in cluttering up you game with small countries/leagues and players that will never be  of any interest to you

Thanks for that. Much appreciated. 

I get your point about starting with a big team and the clutter of more obscure leagues, but I like the pain and torment of the lower leagues, starting at the bottom, and trying to work my way up. 

Cheers again! 

Archived