Lower League Tactics

I'm good at making possession based systems with technically gifted players but for obvious reasons these systems haven't carried over to my Halifax save. I'm in my 3rd season and in the Vanarama National League but I cant find a system that works for my team consistently. Are there any tips or strategies you can share that would help me make a more solid tactic for this league?

4 hours ago, ShpericalBadger said:

I'm good at making possession based systems with technically gifted players but for obvious reasons these systems haven't carried over to my Halifax save. I'm in my 3rd season and in the Vanarama National League but I cant find a system that works for my team consistently. Are there any tips or strategies you can share that would help me make a more solid tactic for this league?

Keep it relatively simple. Most of your players will not be great at specialized roles, so use the base roles. Also, try to limit creative freedom for most players. You should expect some inconsistent play- there's a reason why these guys are at that level as players :).  Lower league play is going to more direct by default- the match engine works that way- so be sure to create a system that will do well with more direct types of play. Outside of that, without seeing your setup, I couldn't advise anything specific.

On 11/20/2016 at 16:56, ShpericalBadger said:

It's not always effective having your defensive line playing the ball out of defence. By setting your GK to distribute short to the defence you have the best of both worlds - playing from the back, but with more directness and avoiding silly errors.

Also as suggested already, simplifying roles is helpful for a whole load of reasons, particularly if you like your team to press as a unit. Remember playing roles are more about what a player does without a ball - so simple roles make for easier understanding.

Archived