[FM16] Persuing Pep

RPM13

You may be thinking, 'what's up with the name?' As you may or may not know, Pep Guardiola is the richest manager (according to FM at least) when the game starts. My goal is to take that title from him (or whoever it is by that point). At the beginning of the game, these are the three richest managers in the world:

1.          Pep Guardiola

Bayern Munich

$165 000/wk

2.          Arsene Wenger

Arsenal

$145 000/wk

3.          Louis Van Gaal

Manchester United 

$135 000/wk

This career will have a few rules, mainly about which jobs I can and can't take just to make things harder for myself (because I definitely need that).These rules are:

• If I am offered more money I have to accept or try to negotiate for even more money. So if I am given a job interview and my current club approaches me for a new contract on more money, I am forced to accept on negotiate.
  • I am only allowed to apply for jobs if I am unemployed

I'm sure I'll think of more as I go, but that's it so far.

The database I'll be using looks like this:

Game_%20_Persuing%20Pep%20online%20save__%20Game%20Add_Remove%20Leagues_zpsjzvdtiwt.png~original

I have all leagues loaded from the top 10 countries in Europe as well as all divisions in Brazil and Argentina. Having this many leagues is really pushing my computer to the limit (sort of, I'm at 1.5 stars for the speed).

Another update will follow shortly giving manager info.

For this career, I will be managing as José Guardiola, Pep Guardiola's (fictional) son. Throughout his life, José was encouraged by his father to pursue a career in playing football, but he was never really the athletic type. After years of watching his father's Barcelona and Bayern teams, José developed a love for watching the sport (he still didn't like playing). He especially liked the entertaining football that these teams played. As he grew older, into his teens, he began to ask his father about how he got his teams to play like that. He became more interested in tactics and was taught all his father could teach him about them (which is a lot). This led him to believe that a high-pressing, possession based game is the "right" way to play the game. As he learned more and more, he came to the conclusion that even though he never really played football, he would become one of the greatest managers ever. This is where we come in. 20 year old José Guardiola, about to get his first job in management. He only has sunday league experience and has no coaching badges, but he should be able to find a job based on his father's reputation and then carve out his own career. I will be trying to get a job either in Spain (José's birth country) or Germany (the country where he currently lives).

From this post on, I will be writing this in first-person from José's perspective (as long as I remember),

I've been throwing my name (and nonexistent CV) around Spain and Germany...

4a7dcd40-30d3-4f7c-926d-21ccb5db3efa_zpssdbkxzpd.png~original

6360e9e7-40fd-4a91-8471-9e58ff9dfd30_zpsqg1hg2wm.png~original

4b054f79-6d06-4bf5-a6fd-ad6510eb7be5_zpsdhsh5om0.png~original

1fb0a392-fa3f-4773-a380-0ab966791d89_zpsgvlj203g.png~original

But was disappointed when I never even got my interest laughed off by Munster and Bochum. They just never acknowledged that I applied. However Bremen did...

Joseacute%20Guardiola_%20%20Inbox-5_zpssbo7yj6p.png~original

I was pleasantly surprised when I got this e-mail...

Joseacute%20Guardiola_%20%20Inbox-6_zps8v03qktb.png~original

I even managed to negotiate them to $900/wk. It's still a long way off dad's $165 000/wk but it's a good start.

Joseacute%20Guardiola_%20%20Inbox-8_zpsxgn6ya0n.png~original

We have some excellent facilities for this level, probably because they're being shared with Bremen's first team but we can still use them so that's great. I will be looking to grow the trophy cabinet even though we're predicted to finish 20th (out of 20) and we can't get promoted because we're a B team.

21 minutes ago, Northernpilgrim said:

Good luck, great idea for a career save :)

Thanks Northernpilgrim. Like I said earlier, it's not my idea, but to my knowledge, it's the only story with this objective on the SI forums.

August 2015

August 1, 2015   Bremen II 1-1 Wurzburg

August 15, 2015 Chemnitz 2-0 Bremen II

August 22, 2015 Bremen II 0-1 Stuttgart II

August 29, 2015 Cottbus 1-0 Bremen II

The first game of my career was a day after I took over here at Bremen II. Not exactly ideal. But luckily it was against FC Wurzburger Kickers who are predicted to finish 17th. We played fairly well but it was not how I wanted the team to play. I can't really blame them though because I had only told them how I wanted to play the day before.

Against Chemnitzer FC, who are predicted to finish 4th, we were absolutely awful except for the 59% possession that we had. I had two weeks to prepare the team this time so I expected the team to play more my style. I guess the defeat is somewhat acceptable because they are predicted to finish around the top of the table.

In the Stuttgart II game, it was fairly even except we couldn't manage to create an chances. This defeat was less acceptable because Stuttgart are predicted to finish 13th in the league.

FC Energie Cottbus are another mid-table team that we struggled against. We got absolutely dominated and lost to a long(ish) shot.

Overall, this month was very poor, especially since I'm trying to play attacking football. 1 goal in 4 games is not enough for an attacking team.

German%20Third%20Division_%20Overview%20Stages_zpssm2hcjd6.png~original

This is really bad considering after the first game (before I took over) we were second in the league after a 3-2 win. We have to get our s**t sorted out and quickly because I really don't plan on getting relegated this season. That could be a major setback for my career even though we're predicted to finish last.

As I was angrily walking to my Prius (I'm only making $900/week, don't judge me) after the Cottbus game, I called my dad a.k.a. Pep Guardiola thinking that he could help me with my predicament. I asked him if he had any suggestions about what I should do and he told me to be patient. That the style that I was trying to get my team to play was hard to adjust to, especially for lower league teams. HOW THE H**L CAN I BE PATIENT AFTER 3 GAMES WITHOUT A GOAL! If I had known this was the advice I'd get I would have saved the minutes on my phone and not called him. I thought he would at least tell my that I was doing it all wrong and that I just had to do the opposite of what I was doing, but no, he told me to be patient. So I guess I'll try waiting, but if we don't get a win before the end of next month I'll be having another conversation with him. Maybe he's trying to sabotage me so he can keep his title of being the richest manager in the world. If he doesn't give me better advice next time I talk to him (if I need to talk to him again), I'm never asking him for advice again because I'll be certain that he's trying to sabotage me. 

September 2015

September 1, 2015   Bremen II 2-3 Kiel

September 5, 2015   Bremen II 1-3 Aue

September 12, 2015 Aalen 0-Bremen II

September 19, 2015 Bremen II 4-1 Fortuna Köln

September 27, 2015 Mainz II 2-1 Bremen II

And the losing streak continued into our game against Holstein Kiel. At least we scored and honestly we deserved to win but it doesn't matter whether we deserved to win or not, we still lost. Maybe dad was right about being patient.

We scored again against Aue but it's another loss. At least we're creating chances now.

Wow! We finally get the first win of my career (in my 7th game) against Aalen off a hat trick from supposed star striker Johannes Eggestein (he only had 1 goal before this).  We played incredibly well and absolutely dominated the game. It's beginning to look like he was right about being patient.

Ok, he was definitely right about being patient. We've scored 7 and only conceded 1 in our last 2 games! For the second game in a row, we dominated and fully deserved the win against SC Fortuna Köln.

Our short winning streak was ended by Mainz II who were 8th however this result put them up to 2nd, so this was an acceptable defeat, especially since we lost to an 87th minute goal.

We have definitely made progress during this month getting our first 2 wins and ending our slide down the table.

German%20Third%20Division_%20Overview%20Stages-2_zps4hqatjfv.png~original

We've still fallen 2 places from the end of last month, but we were in 19th before our 2 wins so I'm not complaining. Also, our goal difference is good for the position we're in (it was definitely helped by our 2 3-goal wins).

October 2015

October 3, 2015       Bremen II 2-0 Erfurt

October 10, 2015 Großaspach 3-2 Bremen II

October 17, 2015 Bremen II 0-1 Stuttgarter K.

October 24, 2015 Wehen 2-0 Bremen II

October 31, 2015 Bremen II 2-0 Rostock

Our good form continued into October against a lowly FC Rot-Weiß Erfurt. We did very well in this game and were deserving of the win.

This game on the other hand was absolutely abysmal from us. We were luck to only lose by one against SG Sonnenhof-Großaspach. They had many exceptional chances but couldn't seem to finish them.

Another poor game from us didn't even see us get one decent chance. The SV Stuttgarter Kickers keeper managed to get MOTM even though we only managed to get 3 shots on target. I'm not sure how that happened.

We were bad for a third game in a row, this time only managing to get 2 shots on target (SV Wehen Wiesbaden only got 4 but at least they scored 2 of them).

We finally showed up to get our second 2-0 win of the month against FC Hansa Rostock. We honestly didn't even deserve to win this game. They had better chances and more overall shots, however we hit the target more and were much more clinical.

We've started winning more regularly (2 wins in each of our last 2 months) but we'll have to start doing better if we don't want to get relegated.

German%20Third%20Division_%20Overview%20Stages-3_zpsaiylvphp.png~original

We continue to fall and now sit only one point above the relegation zone, but we're also only one point away from 10th. Man, this league is tight.

November 2015

November 7, 2015   Dresden 2-0 Bremen II

November 15, 2015 Bremen II 2-2 Halle 

November 21, 2015 Osnabrück 1-0 Bremen II 

November 27, 2015 Bremen II 3-0 

In our first game this month, we dominated possession and the chances were even, but 5th place SG Dynamo Dresden were much more clinical than us and got the win. You could say we were unlucky but we had to take our chances better in order to win.

Our second game, against 1st place Hallescher FC was a very even game and neither team really deserved to win. I was very happy with this result as they have been in first since the fifth match and we're predicted to finish bottom. Our second game

Our run of tough games continued against 6th place VfL Osnabrück and we dominated the game with 63% possession, 20% of our possession coming in their third. We also created better chances than them, but they scored their only shot on target to win the game. I would definitely say we were unlucky not to win this game.

Our "easiest" game this month came against 7th place SC Preußen Münster and we played very well, but it was a fairly even game. We barely deserved to win at all so I'm not sure how we managed to win by three goals , but I'm ecstatic with the win.

This month didn't look great initially, but it was a very hard run of games and we still managed to average 1 point per game, so we actually did well.

German%20Third%20Division_%20Overview%20Stages-4_zpsj5kvmtwi.png~original

We've moved up two spots in the league, but we're still only one point above the relegation zone, so I'm not getting ahead of myself. Our goal difference could come into play and possibly keep us up come the end of the season if it remains this good.

I got this after the Dresden game...

Joseacute%20Guardiola_%20%20Inbox-9_zpsfoyi5vo2.png~original

This board makes absolutely no sense! We lost 2-0 to the team that is predicted to win the league and the board is unhappy with the performance? The game was fairly even too, it's not like we were completely dominated by them. If the board's expectations are this high, I might not be here for long.

December 2015

December 12, 2015 Bremen II 1-1 Magdeburg

December 20, 2015 Würzburg 1-1 Bremen II

Our first game of the month against 11th place 1.FC Magdeburg was an even game in terms of chances, but as with many of our games, we absolutely dominated possession getting 59% of the ball. Overall, I believe we were probably the better team, but a draw was a fair result.

Our second and final game of this short month was against FC Würzburger Kickers who have been bottom of the league almost from the start of the season. It was yet another draw where neither team really deserved to win. But that doesn't mean it was without drama. In the 62nd minute, just as I was thinking, I should probably take Lukas Fröde off before he gets a second yellow, guess what he did. He got his second yellow. Fortunately, only ten minutes later, a Würzburg player also got sent off for his second yellow. Other than that, this was a boring game with only eight shots between the two teams.

This was a poor month overall, only managing to average 1 point per game and not managing to win against Würzburg.

German%20Third%20Division_%20Overview%20Stages-5_zpsccsgzce6.png~original

We've somehow managed  to remain in 15th place and have even extended the gap to the relegation zone by a point, putting us three points clear.

I got this message after the Magdeburg match...

Joseacute%20Guardiola_%20%20Inbox-10_zpslq09jzqb.png~original

Man this board have high expectations! We didn't even lose! I can't see myself being here too much longer if this continues.

January 2016

January 8th, 2016   Bremen II 2-0 Dortmund II

January 13th, 2016 Bremen II 5-1 Leer

January 18th, 2016 Bremen II 7-0 Hemelingen

January 24th, 2016 Bremen II 1-3 Chemnitz

January 31st, 2016 Stuttgart II 2-1 Bremen II

Our first game back from the winter break was a friendly against Regional Division West team Dortmund II. How on earth are Dortmund's second team worse than Bremen's? Anyway, we got a good win and Johannes Eggestein finally got a goal. Hopefully these friendlies will get him into goal scoring form.

We absolutely dominated this game and were unlucky to let VfL Germania Leer get a goal. Eggestein got a hat trick! I really hope this side of him shows up in the league when it starts again.

This time he got four! We only let SV Hemelingen get one shot and it was from 25 yards and missed the target. We also had 27% possession in their third of the pitch! I really hope this form continues into the league.

Back to the league against 11th place Chemnitzer FC and we continued our excellent form in terms of a performance. Unfortunately, we still lost letting all three of their shots on target go into the net. We had so many chances but couldn't finish and a Daniel Frahn hat trick made it embarrassing for us. Johannes Eggestein couldn't continue his form after having score eight goals in our three friendlies.

In our final game of the month against Stuttgart II who were 15th in the league, the stats looked like the game was in our favour, but they created better chance and probably deserved the win they got. After this game, Johannes Eggestein got called up to the Bremen senior team. It looks like he won't be continuing his form (in friendlies) with us.

Overall, it was a very poor month. Even though we got three morale boosting wins in friendlies, we couldn't capitalize on the high morale and lost both our league games.

German%20Third%20Division_%20Overview%20Stages-6_zpsiypkvuu6.png~original

Those losses see us drop a spot to 16th, but we're still two points clear of relegation, so I can't complain considering we're predicted to be relegated comfortably.

Joseacute%20Guardiola_%20%20Inbox-11_zpsiobtzty6.png~original

The board let me go for my National C Licence which will hopefully allow me to go on to bigger and better things in my career.

Archived