Free transfer ... not so free...

I've just taken up FM11 again and an annoying flaw pops up. I ermember this from the last time I played it and I never really understood what the deal was. So here it is:

I'm looking at free transfers. Normally you can just go straight to offering them a contract ("approach to sign"). Youth players can also be approached to sign, but there is still a fee to be payed to the club. This can be remedied by making the club an offer. However currently I'm looking at a 20 year old player who is playing at a club, but he has no contract and my scout says that I can probably get him for free. But when I offer him a contract there is a large fee attached to the transfer, like for the youth players. But I can't offer the club anything for him, the button is simply not there; only the "approach to sign" button is available.

Any help?

The cut off is 23/24yo depending on when his birthday falls. If he falls the younger side of the cutoff and you approach to sign direct when he is contracted to another club you pay a fee which is set by FA/UEFA/FIFA rules.

The alternative is you approach the club and negotiate a transfer fee first which may be higher or lower than the compensation amount from approaching direct.

The alternative is you approach the club and negotiate a transfer fee first which may be higher or lower than the compensation amount from approaching direct.

But that's the thing; there is no "Make An Offer" button! So I can't negotiate! Is this a bug or what?

But that's the thing; there is no "Make An Offer" button! So I can't negotiate! Is this a bug or what?

No it will be due to certain other factors.

Could be down to time of the season, your club under a transfer embargo, league rules in terms of when you can negotiate transfers etc etc. Without more info its impossible to tell.

No it will be due to certain other factors.

Could be down to time of the season, your club under a transfer embargo, league rules in terms of when you can negotiate transfers etc etc. Without more info its impossible to tell.

Well I'm Koblenz in the german third division. The transfer wondow has just closed and my target is 20 years old from Cottbus in the german second division. He has an amateur contract which doesn't have an expiration date, hence I figured that it's expired already.

Something has gone wring if a player at a 2.Bundelsiga side has an amateur contract, do you have rolling save files to see if you can spot when he ended up with an amateur contract?

Archived