Caphit in the finals

Hello!

A very weird thing has happened for me.

My team is playing in the Stanley Cup finals, game 7.

I am using the exact same roster I have used for most of the season (excluding injuries and such).

And now when it it time for game 7, my team is above the caphit. It has gone so far that some new prospects have arrived to the team, but to make sure this didnt happen I sent them down to AHL.

I have tried to change out players for cheaper guys, but it didn't help.

If I add the salaries of my NHL team it adds up to about 68 million.

I found this to be very weird. Any ideas what to do?

(First time I post here, and not sure what to do, if I should screenshot something or what ever else is needed.)

If you have players with bonus deals in their contract that may be what's put you over the top. Also any signing fees that you give out when resigning player for next year (or signing your prospects) will also affect this years cap. There's nothing you can do except to remove players from your roster until you get below the cap, if you do so then be sure to check out the rules in the CBA with regards to how much cap relief a player will get when sent down. Also don't forget that non playing staff also counts against the cap.

The cap is pro rated so this late in the season you might have to make major changes before getting under. Since you are after June 7 then your best bet may be to trade an expensive player for an unsigned prospect and a pick or two.

(First time I post here, and not sure what to do, if I should screenshot something or what ever else is needed.)
The "FTP Details" thread explains how to upload your save so Riz can have a look http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/423287-FTP-Details (you can use the FM folder, there's no EHM folder)
If you have players with bonus deals in their contract that may be what's put you over the top. Also any signing fees that you give out when resigning player for next year (or signing your prospects) will also affect this years cap. There's nothing you can do except to remove players from your roster until you get below the cap, if you do so then be sure to check out the rules in the CBA with regards to how much cap relief a player will get when sent down. Also don't forget that non playing staff also counts against the cap.

The cap is pro rated so this late in the season you might have to make major changes before getting under. Since you are after June 7 then your best bet may be to trade an expensive player for an unsigned prospect and a pick or two.

Uhh......are you sure it's not just a bug?

I've never heard of a team having to make trades/roster moves DURING their appearance in the Stanley Cup Final.....doesn't seem right to me at all

At the top of this thread is the "FTP Details" that explains how to upload your save so Riz can have a look (you can use the FM folder, there's no EHM folder)

Uhh......are you sure it's not just a bug?

I've never heard of a team having to make trades/roster moves DURING their appearance in the Stanley Cup Final.....doesn't seem right to me at all

There isn't enough information in the OP to say if it could be a bug or not.

The cap is calculated weekly in the game and signing bonuses or performance bonuses may well be the cause of going over the top. Since we're after the 7th of June which is when European prospects will join the team it seems like a likely bet to as what has happened. Whether this is indeed the case or not needs to be checked by the original poster.

There isn't enough information in the OP to say if it could be a bug or not.

The cap is calculated weekly in the game and signing bonuses or performance bonuses may well be the cause of going over the top. Since we're after the 7th of June which is when European prospects will join the team it seems like a likely bet to as what has happened. Whether this is indeed the case or not needs to be checked by the original poster.

I respectfully disagree

I think the poster did provide enough information...the Stanley Cup Final is NOT over! I don't care what date Europeans come over, I don't believe any team would have to make roster changes/trades due to the Salary Cap BEFORE game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final

Googled it, and there's no Salary Cap in effect in the playoffs http://www.fiveforhowling.com/2015/6/25/8769229/collective-bargaining-agreement-cba-flaws so definetly a bug that needs fixing

I'm not sure that cap exemption is implemented in the game. There are several things that differ in game vs. reality and one is that the trading starts the 7th of June for everyone and this also probably means that the game consider the play offs to be over at that date.

PS. Copied from TBL (http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14081)

"This is something that needs to be resolved. There is no roster limit and salary cap in the play-offs but in the game, the cap is still an issue. I had this issue with a player (Zuccarello) coming back from injury during the play-offs, I take him of IR and I am over the cap and cannot continue without waiving a player and demote him first."

I'm not sure that cap exemption is implemented in the game. There are several things that differ in game vs. reality and one is that the trading starts the 7th of June for everyone and this also probably means that the game consider the play offs to be over at that date.
Which means it's a bug, and needs to be fixed (and for me it's NOT something I'm going to ask a user to be understanding about/accept.....there's no way you should have to be making trades/etc between game 6 and game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final! ever!)

It's most definitely a bug and I'm sure Riz will fix it when he can

• SI Staff

Thanks for the report, I'll try and look into these. If you guys have saved games where the issue occurs that a team goes over the cap during the playoffs due to a player coming off injured reserve, please upload a save and let me know so I can have a closer look.

where the issue occurs that a team goes over the cap during the playoffs
The Salary Cap is not in effect at all during the playoffs, that's what needs fixing (see #1 in link) http://www.fiveforhowling.com/2015/6/25/8769229/collective-bargaining-agreement-cba-flaws

Also noted here http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-player-playoff-compensation/ and here http://www.colliganhockey.com/nhl-playoff-compensation/

Which means it's a bug,

It's most definitely a bug and I'm sure Riz will fix it when he can

If it's a conscious decision to make it that way then it's not a bug. That is NOT what the word "bug" means.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_bug

If it is by design made that way then it's a limitation. There are limitations in several areas in this game, some more annoying than others but they are there for a reason. I'd guess that the most common reason is due to limits to what the AI is capable of doing and the game has been designed in ways to lessen those effects. Another reason is simplicity in coding or speed in execution, here I guess is the reason we can't trade as soon as our season ends but have to wait until June the 7th.

Since you are, just as much as I am, particular with nuances and with terminology you should not use the word bug to describe things that that word does not apply to.

The first line in your link says "A software bug is an error, flaw, failure or fault in a computer program or system that causes it to produce an incorrect or unexpected result, or to behave in unintended ways"

I guess it's semantics (but that's what you seem to want to do).....we know it's incorrect, and it's most certainly unexpected by the end user to have to make trades between game 6 and 7 of the Stanley Cup Final, so the only way what you're saying makes sense to me is if you're claiming Riz intends players to have to make such roster adjustments

I'm not sure we're as alike as you think

My "understanding" is based on hockey and EHM, I know little to nothing about software/etc (and don't much care)

This is a problem to me that I deem to be seriously problematic IMO and should be fixed somehow...I could care less about the software/etc discussion

The first line in your link says "A software bug is an error, flaw, failure or fault in a computer program or system that causes it to produce an incorrect or unexpected result, or to behave in unintended ways"

I guess it's semantics (but that's what you seem to want to do).....we know it's incorrect, and it's most certainly unexpected by the end user to have to make trades between game 6 and 7 of the Stanley Cup Final, so the only way what you're saying makes sense to me is if you're claiming Riz intends players to have to make such roster adjustments

If the designer of the game makes a choice not to implement that part of the CBA then the result is in no way either unintended or a flaw or causing unexpected results. In short it's not a bug!

You can call things whatever you want but if you want to be taken seriously then you should conform to the accepted standard meanings of different words.

If the designer has made a decision (for whatever reason) to simplify cap calculations and in doing so decided to have the same rule apply for the entire season then this is NOT a bug. We know that there are simplifications when discussing cap calculations. In real life the cap is calculated daily, in this game it's calculated weekly. That is NOT a bug either!

It can only ever be a bug if it does something the coder didn't expect. It can never be a bug if it does exactly what the coder intended.

This is not about semantics. This is about talking in a way so that other people can understand what you mean. Calling things by their correct name is one part of that.

You can think whatever you want about me but this is a forum concerned with a piece of computer software and I would expect that the language used should reflect that and adhere to the accepted conventional meanings of technical terms.

You can call things whatever you want but if you want to be taken seriously then you should conform to the accepted standard meanings of different words.
Actually I'm already taken quite seriously by Riz and those that actual create/edit the databases (me being one of those people too), and I have been for years (head over to TBL sometime if you want to see why).....if you don't want to take me seriously, well no offense but I really don't care (and your loss as far as I'm concerned)

I'm done with this myself...

Actually I'm already taken quite seriously by Riz and those that actual create/edit the databases (me being one of those people too), and I have been for years (head over to TBL sometime if you want to see why).....if you don't want to take me seriously, well no offense but I really don't care (and your loss as far as I'm concerned)

I'm done with this myself...

You care very much when it comes to database issues. Is that the only area where detail and accuracy matters? Why not afford other sections of the world the same courtesy?

You misused the word "bug" and was corrected on this. Why not simply correct yourself instead of this arguing?

Archived