Eastside Hockey Manager Leagues - Some Elements are Impossible

NHL EHM is a nice update on the 07 game.

Sadly, the online league capabilities are still not up to par.

The game becomes unstable with more than 4-5 people in at once.

It's a shame.

Online leagues can be a great way to grow this game.

Please do what you can to make 30-gm leagues playable.

It should be noted that EHM 05 was very good for online leagues.

07 was a major step backward for online play.

The new game allows for 30 gms again, but it's unstable.

Online matches are not possible.

The draft is painstaking because having more than 3-4 GMs in the draft at once causes crashes.

The game also seems to time out faster.

And unfortunately, when players time out in a response screen, they are locked out of the game for awhile.

EHM1 online is most definitely "playable"

TBL has two different EHM1 online leagues associated with the site (both with an NHL full of GMs), started last year and they're both going strong (simming daily)...

I've played EHM05 online and I played a whole season in the WHL with EHM1 and didn't have issues like you're describing (crashes occurred/were fixed just like with EHM05)....we did not have online games! My understanding was it was because of a clock speed issue that was causing issues at the time; I'm not sure how successful actual online play is now

And regarding the draft, going back to the EHM05 game I've never heard of anyone trying to do the draft "ingame/live" before (something like Skype's always been used, and the draft entered in by a single person afterwards...draft is done in an afternoon, draft is inputted and game is back up the next day)

It does seem EHM online play can cause some issues for some (and no doubt there's room for improvement!), but it's also true that successful EHM1 online leagues exist now

You can't run the draft in new game like 05 because the game crashes like freakin' crazy.

05 you couldn't run on line...because people would time out. Otherwise you could.

But the new issue makes drafts over Skype a pain in the ass.

Like I said, 4-5 people in a draft screen at once, and the game becomes unstable.

It needs to be fixed.

Draft day should be the best day of the season for an online league. But they are unbearable the way the game is configured.

You can't run the draft in new game like 05 because the game crashes like freakin' crazy.

05 you couldn't run on line...because people would time out. Otherwise you could.

But the new issue makes drafts over Skype a pain in the ass.

Like I said, 4-5 people in a draft screen at once, and the game becomes unstable.

It needs to be fixed.

Draft day should be the best day of the season for an online league. But they are unbearable the way the game is configured.

Maybe you should try joining an already existing league...

Going back over the years I was in three different EHM05 Leagues and none of them ever did the draft ingame! Why would you?

Since I discovered EHM in 2010 I think you're the first poster I've ever seen reference having the draft ingame online (maybe you've never played online before and don't realize what is the "norm" for online EHM)

In the multiple online leagues I was in the draft was the best day of the season!

Just like IRL, the draft was going on (in one group chat thread dedicated to picks only) + the group chat was going on (with all GMs together) + personal messages were exchanged between GMs (about trades/etc) and all happened in real time! Limited only by how fast you could type! HaHa

And the game is up and running the whole time during the draft, so players/etc can be looked at ingame (there's 15-20 or more GMs logged in at once)

I am NOT saying things with online are perfect/ideal...I'm sure there's room for improvement!

But for me/in my opinion I'd prefer to see the limited time Riz has spent on actual gameplay/AI improvements

I am two leagues.

We are having a draft as we speak.

Everytime more than 3-4 people get in the game, the game gets unstable.

Crashes are very frequent.

And the game takes longer to bring up.

I appreciate this game, but let's be honest.

Online capabilities are still nowhere near as good as they were in 2005, when online gaming was just picking up steam.

It's 2016. Let's move forward.

Maybe you should try joining an already existing league...

Going back over the years I was in three different EHM05 Leagues and none of them ever did the draft ingame! Why would you?

Since I discovered EHM in 2010 I think you're the first poster I've ever seen reference having the draft ingame online (maybe you've never played online before and don't realize what is the "norm" for online EHM)

In the multiple online leagues I was in the draft was the best day of the season!

Just like IRL, the draft was going on (in one group chat thread dedicated to picks only) + the group chat was going on (with all GMs together) + personal messages were exchanged between GMs (about trades/etc) and all happened in real time! Limited only by how fast you could type! HaHa

And the game is up and running the whole time during the draft, so players/etc can be looked at ingame (there's 15-20 or more GMs logged in at once)

I am NOT saying things with online are perfect/ideal...I'm sure there's room for improvement!

But for me/in my opinion I'd prefer to see the limited time Riz has spent on actual gameplay/AI improvements

I am in said exisiting leagues and can confirm same problems as the other leagues. Its great if you prefer offline but there is a thriving online community I think up to 5 leagues all full and growing by the day with waitlists.

These leagues are becoming ever increasingly impossible to play as the crashes happen almost every hour. On top of that when it does crash it takes 10 minutes to bring back up cause we have to sign in as every team then kick them individually. Incredibly frustrating that in 2016 online play which is a staple of most games is still such a mess with this game.

It's not that I prefer offline (not sure why you said that), it's I understand and accept it's a niche game, and I do as much as I can to help, and I just don't like the hyperbole/don't feel it's helpful in any way...

The "staple of most games" comment - it's one guy in his spare time...is online play a staple of most games in such cases?

I'm glad there's a thriving online community! The roster work I do helps online players too!

But I did that for years on a dead game, and I fear the new EHM could become "dead" again too.....and so for me actual gameplay/AI improvements is a priority (and I imagine as a one man team trying to work on/test online must be a challenge)

crashes happen almost every hour. On top of that when it does crash it takes 10 minutes to bring back up cause we have to sign in as every team then kick them individually
Just to be clear, I do hope this is fixed ASAP

I don't know what you mean by hyperbole.

In EHM 05 we'd sometimes have 20+ people at a draft and we could run it, using the boards/messenger. People would be int he game scouting, checking prospects during the draft.

But Sunday, playing EHM, we had like 8 people at the draft, and that was too many. We had to have a rule were you couldn't go in the game until it was your pick.

That dramatically slows down the draft, which is already a long process.

It just seems like very little has been done to make this a game that can be played easily online. I know resources are limited, but I'd like to see greater emphasis on online play.

It's not that I prefer offline (not sure why you said that), it's I understand and accept it's a niche game, and I do as much as I can to help, and I just don't like the hyperbole/don't feel it's helpful in any way...

The "staple of most games" comment - it's one guy in his spare time...is online play a staple of most games in such cases?

I'm glad there's a thriving online community! The roster work I do helps online players too!

But I did that for years on a dead game, and I fear the new EHM could become "dead" again too.....and so for me actual gameplay/AI improvements is a priority (and I imagine as a one man team trying to work on/test online must be a challenge)

Apologize, I thought in your thread it said you prefer offline, misread.

Regarding hyperbole perhaps I'm to sensitive.....

The issue of limited resources we'd all like to see improvement on.....but I don't really see that happening (and I'm likely trying to lower expectations given the "one guy/part time plus some volunteers" that is still the reality)

I wouldn't think EHM05 and how it ran would have any bearing on the present...EHM05 was such a simplistic game compared to EHM07 (which struggled with online play/stability!) - EHM07 was WAY better than EHM05 in every was except for online play

And EHM1 is WAY better than EHM07, but apparently online play is not

I really do hope things get worked out ASAP, so that it's stable and online games can be played...I too think such improvements would be beneficial for the community as a whole

Any word on online improvements Riz? regarding lack of stability and inability to play online games?

I suppose problem is with that we've received more data to analyze and when more people open it during draft/playoffs game seems more unstable. During regular season it's more stable but also we get crashes. Mostly on scouting but there are also other places when game frozen. More over I'm very satisfy what we have receive and will receive (hope!) in future updates. Game is very much better then previous versions. As we've received new EHM instability during draft should be forgiven. Be patient and I think Riz will have to look on it. Besides taking draft for example on Skype is much faster then we will have frozens during draft and it has to be reloaded many times.

Archived