Trying to understand my tactic better....go easy on me.

Hi Guys,

This is the first time I´ve really tried to have a go at developing my own tactics from scratch regardless if it works or not (normally I would just change to a tactic that did work even if I didn´t want to play that way). I really want a defensively solid tactic that is comfortable soaking up pressure with players holding their positions and frustrating the opposition and then breaking quickly when (if) we win the ball back. I really enjoyed Jambo´s 451 idea from last year but he seems to be struggling with replicating that this season too.

I´v gone with a standard and flexible mentality and team shape because I don´t think I understand the match engine well so I just wanted something to start with that as few variables as possible. I am hoping that defensively we will be in a 4141 shape and when attacking the two WM and CM (A) will push up to make a 4231.

Roles are as follows:

Formation

--------------------------------------DLF(S)----------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

--WM(A)----------------CM(A)------------------DLP(S)---------------W(A)--

--------------------------------------DLP(D)----------------------------------------

--FB(S)-------------CD(D)--------------------CD(D)-----------------FB(S)--

--------------------------------------GK(D)----------------------------------------

Roles

These are fairly default as suggested by the game apart from the two DLP. The DM is a DLP because a) This is my best player and his preferred role so I hoped he would sit in front of the defence without too much fuss. The DLP in the midfield strata I have put as a DLP because again I don´t want him moving to much from that position lest we get caught on the break.

Thw winger is a winger again simply because it offers a bit of variation and it is more suitable to the player (Shaquiri) than a WM.

Team Instructions

Close down much less - Two reasons a) I find my defence intercept long balls much better with this I suppose due to being in a solid shape and b) I want to be hard to break down and therefore don´t want my players chasing down like headless chickens.

Play out of defence - To me this seems a bit counter productive to what I wanted to achieve but I found my defenders hoofing the ball up to nobody and therefore eventually we would crumble through sheer constant pressure. I want a quick game when we have the ball but I don´t want the players to be wasteful.

Higher tempo - Again because I want quick transition from defending to attacking.

That´s about it. I´ve tried to keep it fairly simple because I´m definitely a person who could overcomplicate things with too many instructions/roles etc.

So if anybody can see any glaring errors of any advice it would be much appreciated.

Personally I'd go Advanced playmaker over DLP in midfield. You say you're worried about getting caught on the break but your tactic seems very cautious to me. Standard mentality, supporting fullbacks and two midfielders sitting deep. That's very cautious in my eyes :D Play around with the playmaker role in the midfield but I think you'll see better performance and transition from an AP then an DLP.

Ok I´ll have a little tinker with that. Thanks. I think I´m a little concerned about breaking away from standard mentality because...well...its standard and therefore it´s easier for me to see the effect of the roles and team instructions. I read the guides from the maestros on the forum and they are clearly hugely detailed pieces of work from guys that know their stuff but they can be a little intimidating for newbies who just wanna start with something fairly simple and solid which gives us a base to start refining and developing our own tactics.

Like Justified said i'd switch the player in the CM. Go with BBM/RPM/AP. Get a player with good Stamina, Work rate, Aggression and Passing. He'll do wonders for your team and make it less predictable. It's OK if his aggression is poo but the other ones I listed are good.

Archived