Poession football with Fiorentina

Hey all,

I like Fiorentina and want to try play how Sousa has got them playing with is possession based football with lots of chance via through balls

Fiorentina Style

Possession football

Short passes

Attempt through balls often

Attack through the middle

Take long shots

Control the game in the opposition's half

Tactics im trying

5f191579-0263-456c-b076-0e81fe932cb4_zpsplquqphk.jpg

Main formation will prob be 3412 which is what they use most of the time, followed by 433

The only trouble im having is trying to play possession leads to either

a) player walking into the opposition with his head down losing the ball

b) all my players move up and then just stand around whilst a MC has the ball with little to no option

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread, I love watching Fiorentina too! I'd say Sousa has settled on a 3-4-2-1 recently after starting with a 4-2-3-1.

According to current formation and first choice eleven I'd go:

GK (D) Tata

CD (D) Tomo

BPD © Gonzalo

CD (D) Astori

WP (S) Berna

DLP (D) Badelj

BBM (S) Vecino

WM (S) Alonso

SS (A) Ilicic

AP (S) Valero

DF (S) Kalinic

Alonso (who's criminally underrated in FM) could also be WB in left wingback position. Against smaller teams Valero often plays in the MC strata (maybe RPM) replacing Vecino or Badelj, with Mati or Rossi in at AMC or ST respectively (with Rossi in a 3-4-1-2). When Kuba or Gilberto play at MR they're more traditional wingers/wide midfielders compared to left-footed WP Bernardeschi.

Mentality I'd say mainly Control (Sousa would often go more defensive when leading, still controlling possession though), with Very Structured team shape. TI's close down much more, retain possession and play out of defence to make possession count; roam from position and pass into space to attempt more risky passess while having more passing options and movement off the ball. This is my take based on real life Fiorentina, not sure how it would work in FM ;)

I'd also suggest to read and implement some concepts from Cleon's possession thread, as they very much apply to Sousa's style of football http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/445500-The-Art-of-Possession-Football

Archived