FM15: Athletic Club - Basque Only Since Day One

903px-Club_Athletic_Bilbao_logo.svg.png

So why choose Athletic

- Sleeping Giant - A team that relishes yesteryear and want to find success once again

- A unique transfer policy that encourages the development of youth.

- Aritz Aduriz - You have to love this guy

- A challenge as the overall team is not good enough to challenge for the league and you can do the impossible in many different ways :)

Now onwards to History and beyond :)

History

While Athletic had success in the past, they have not had much luck in the modern era until Marcelo Bielsa came in. Bielsa was responsibile for the deep runs in the Europa League and the Copa del Rey. Unfortunetly, it was Falcao's day in Europa League finals and Messi's day in the Copa del Rey Final and the Basque club left home trophyless. It did not get any better for the Basque side has teams with more success and more money circling like sharks for their players. Javi Martinez was one of them. While, he did leave them with a hefty 45M, the transfer policy has held Athletic back from finding an adequate replacement. Llorente left on a free next season and that has seem to hurt the Basque club more until Aritz Aduriz came along and stepped up. His goals could be the reason why they have qualified for the Champions League. And then Ander Herrera left :(, so yeah.

Stadium

300px-San_Mames%2C_Bilbao%2C_Euskal_Herria_-_Basque_Country.jpg

Name: San Mamés

Ground Share: No

Capacity: 53,289

Honors

- 8x La Liga

- 23x Copa del Rey

- 1x Supercopa de Espana

- 1x Copa Eva Duarte

- 1x Small World Club Cup

- 1x Basque Cup

Squad

Goalkeepers

wLqcNrY.png

Analysis: Now, its really simple. You got Kepa waiting in the wings. You can either promote him after the season is over or buy Stephane Ruffier and/or have them both fight for the first team spot. But, I think Gorka needs to move on.

Recommended Players: Oier, Stephane Ruffier

Defenders

r5D22UN.png

Analysis: Most of the defense are aging. So, I would sell as much of the old guys as I can. You can get some money for Xabier and Gurpegi.

Recommended Players: Javi Martinez, Inigo Martinez, Eneko Boveda, Cesar Azpilicueta

Midfielders

HUxSElC.png

Analysis: You got a good midfield but you can do with finding a "new" Ander Herrera.

Recommended Players: Ander Herrera, Ruben Pardo, Asier Illaramendi, Mikel Arteta, Xabi Alonso, Javi Martinez, Ander Capa

Strikers

Yotp0lY.png

Analysis: This is a sub-par strikeforce. Sell Sola and just use Williams or Borja when Aduriz gets hurt.

Recommended Players: Fernando Llorente, Imanol Agirretxe, Raul Garcia

Youth Players to look out for:

Defenders

8pIWLxn.png

Midfielders

HgyzQTy.png

Strikers

hLhzIPa.png

Budget

iD5kNxz.png

Coaches

3pgDnXq.png

Tactics

4-3-3 or 4-2-2-2 or 4-2-3-1

Gorka

De Marcos-San Jose-Laporte-Aurtenexte

Iturraspe

Rico-Benat

Muniain-Aduriz-Ibai

Gorka

Iturraspe-Rico

Benat-Unai Lopez

Aduriz-Muniain

Gorka

Iturraspe-Rico

Muniain-Borja-Ibai

Aduriz

Now, go forth and serve Athletic proud :)

Love an Athletic Bilbao save! The challenge of developing youth and coping with the scouting restrictions makes it a great challenge!

First season finished 3rd in La Liga and won the Europa League after being knocked out in the group stages of the Champions League. Stand-out performers being Benat, Ibai Gomez and Muniain (obviously). Focus on Unai Lopez in the middle, he turns into a wonderkid and is undroppable for me alongside Benat. Iturraspe didn't do it for me in the DMC spot so he was swiftly sold to PSG for 25mil. Got Agirretxe from rivals Sociedad in the second season and he has been on fire so far. Barcelona are unbeaten in something like 50 games so the best I can hope for this season is a top-two finish (currently third again behind Atletico).

If you haven't already tried an Athletic save I strongly recommend giving it a go.

Love an Athletic Bilbao save! The challenge of developing youth and coping with the scouting restrictions makes it a great challenge!

First season finished 3rd in La Liga and won the Europa League after being knocked out in the group stages of the Champions League. Stand-out performers being Benat, Ibai Gomez and Muniain (obviously). Focus on Unai Lopez in the middle, he turns into a wonderkid and is undroppable for me alongside Benat. Iturraspe didn't do it for me in the DMC spot so he was swiftly sold to PSG for 25mil. Got Agirretxe from rivals Sociedad in the second season and he has been on fire so far. Barcelona are unbeaten in something like 50 games so the best I can hope for this season is a top-two finish (currently third again behind Atletico).

If you haven't already tried an Athletic save I strongly recommend giving it a go.

Unai Lopez and Ager Aketxe are the guys you want to promote and give a lot of first team time for. Those guys can be animals if they are given the opportunity. The other Unai was out on loan for me. I'll post more details of my save when I get home...

Interestingly i found that over the longer term, Unai Lopez didnt actually develop into a top class player. He struggled for playing time by season 2/3/ Aketxe doesnt have a great personality type, so tutoring is a good idea, otherwise he again stalls his development quickly.

Some of the players i found stood out over 3/4 seasons:

Ibai Gomez - Versatile and a great dribbler. He served as rotation for me in later times but never let me down either on the wings or as an attacking CM or even striker. Well worth keeping

Oscar De Marcos - Similar to the above, his versatility kept him in my thoughts. The lack of good basque fullbacks meant he played a lot for me at LB and was great coming from there.

Mikel Rico - A bit of an unheralded player, but he always did a job for me, either at RB or DM.

Mikel San Jose - Solid guy, never lets you down and has a good few years in him

Ayemic Laporte - Goes without saying. World class CB and if you can hold on to him, you should.

Iker Munian - Again goes without saying, superb and in his prime and capable of many different types of role

Markel Susueta - Great winger, can play either side and creates a lot of goals.

Xiker - The class of the youth group. Can develop into an excellent CB

personally i found that Benat under performed (migh just have been didnt fit my system) and Aduritz was an ageing, oft injured drain on wages. I got rid of both those in short order.

Also worth mentioning that most of the "recommended players" you have listed wont come to, or be afforded by, Athletic in the first 2 or 3 seasons unless you somehow win the league.

Finally, It could be good if you could update the OP with some more depth, along the lines of many of the other threads on here. The club have a very rich and interesting history, both with managers and players. IT is also kinda essential to detail what the basque only policy is, and what it means both in real life and in game :)

ALso sorry, one correction. After the deep run in the 2012 copa del rey, the final wasnt anything to do with Falcao. Athletic player Barca in that final, not Athletico (although the final was played in the Vicente Calderon).

Archived