EHM:EA Online Play Thread/Wishlist

Please post what you would like to see in online play or just a post your desire for online play to be implemented. :)

I am part of the EHM 05 community which has been playing online in 30 player leagues for last 8 years or so. I am going to post some things that worked great and some that could be improved upon.

1) The current setup is fantastic from 05 & 07. Don't think it was originally planned that 1 computer would host the game 24/7 while the others come and go while on vacation but either way don't change that to a "import/export" type as the host server works so much better! I think it goes without stating but to be safe online needs the ability to have 30 GMs in a league to be successful.

2) In EHM 07 you could not start a game before every GM was set as "Playing" opposed to in EHM 05 where you could leave the 29 other GMs "On Vacation" and start the game as long as the host is set to "Playing". Please make sure that it is similar to 05 and you can make the game live without taking control of every team and then manually placing them all on vacation

3) Passwords are another thing that didn't quite work, as you could not start the game unless the teams with a password were also logged in. Adding functional passwords are incredibly important for the 24/7 server as without working passwords anyone can connect as a different team and tamper with tactics and such (thankfully hasn't actually been a major issue). Allow for the commissioner to create a master password to enter drafts/remove inactive GMs. I know Sports Interactive was previous one but if everyone knows the master password passwords become useless.

4) Allow for the in game coaching settings to be set globally for an online league (the highlights, speed, commentary) In EHM 05 the options weren't available (which worked great) but in 07 they were available but user by user and if over 9 or 10 gms coached at same time we were unable to change those speeds causing incredibly long 2 hour sims when people were stuck on slowest settings.

5) If possible make the draft rankings page exportable to a excel or csv file to make the drafting process smoother as most drafts are done offline and the host goes through and enters the draft.

6) Allow for you to save multiple IPs to join in the (Join Network Game) so that you can just select your league that you want to connect to from a list, maybe allow for you to add a name to that IP so you can name your league.

7) From a stability aspect previous games tend to have a number of errors when completing trades or GMs leave the game. Errors might be hard to remove, but allow for an option in preferences to auto close error as the game is unable to be accessed while an error is up on host PC.

Overall EHM 05 really nailed online play with a few minor hiccups here and there. There is a good size community very excited for this news and waiting patiently for Online to be added. Sad as this sounds we spend an hour or two every night playing EHM 05 and yesterday was probably the best news I've ever received in terms of gaming.

Yep.

Online is a critical piece. It's the way to grow this game. I wish I could offer a good critique like OP, but I rarely played 07 because it didn't allow for 30-team leagues.

You should have one of your devs talk about joining one of the EHM online leagues for a sim or two to see how we do it.

Also --

Make it possible to kick GMs from the game

Sometimes a guy's connection drops in a response screen and the host computer can't remove him.

Players should be able to removed from anywhere.

Oh, I'll something in the wishlist, I'll not care to buy a new version of the game each 1 or 2 years, but I think for online league it will be super important to be able to "convert" online league to the new version. I don't think it no one will like to restart a new league each new version...

It's my opinion.

how do you get 30 humans in one computer without networking?

You can shareyour screen with VNC or teamviewer... but it will not be a "working" version at my opinion, imagine 29 guys trying to move the mouse at the same time ;)

I was an original GM in the EHM and played for many years, I'll second (or third) the motion that having 30 GMs is a must as the change in '07 to limit the number hurt online play significantly.

Mordy! Mordy! Mordy!

• SI Staff

You can easily test the new human manager limit of the game in Early Access already. Just start a new game and add one manager as you normally do.

Then go to the options menu and add another manager... rinse and repeat until you have added 30 managers in total.

Hot-seat gameplay means that you add mutiple GM's (up to 30) into the same game from your computer and you control all of them from the same computer. In the manager menu, you have the option "change manager" which allows you to switch between the GM's playing from the same computer.

So technically this also allows one person to manage multiple different teams in the same game with different manager profiles.

Archived