How to Give one Facepack Priority over another?

carlosisonfire

So, I just got FM15 from the Steam sale this weekend, and decided to install both the Cutout Faces Megapack and the DF11 megapack for the first time, since DF11 has some faces that Cutout doesn't. There are about 65,000 images that overlap though, and I want to make sure that the game uses the Cutout faces over the DF11 ones when available.

I currently have them in two subfolders within the graphics folder, one in Graphis\DF11 and the other in Graphics\Cutout. My first thought was to simply cut and past the DF11 faces into the Cutout folder and simply not replace files in the destination when they had the same name, but didn't know what to do about the config.xml.

Reading the install guide at the top of this forum says to keep the config.xml files with the pictures that correspond to it, which pretty much invalidates my cut and paste plan. So, what should I do?

you could always merge the config file info as well, using notepad?

you'll see the bulk info you need in the middle <pic="xxx" / / / > etc for each line you would need to copy all that into one and save it in the new master/combined folder?

try it with a few files and see if it works first, take your two folders out, and then copy into a merge folder with the combined config file. clear cache and reload??

make sure you only copy while you try, dont wanna have to d/l it all again..

that's a great idea, thanks! there would be duplicates in the new config file, of course, because there are 65k files that overlap, but that shouldn't cause any trouble should it?

I wouldnt have thought so as they are both essentially doing the same thing.

like i said pick a few player images you recognise and test it first.

The way I do it is to put them both in the same folder (in my case, graphics > players) and then place them each in separate folders. I understand that FM reads the folders in alphabetical order, so I rename each sub-folder and add a number before the filename so that I force FM to read them in the order in which I want.

player%20faces.png~original

Of course you can have them in whichever order you want. I'm a bit OCD about it all, so I'm constantly updating all the packs as and when new releases come out to ensure I'm up-to-date. I also use a duplicate file finder program to delete duplicate images to ensure I don't load any unnecessary files. I don't expect anybody else would do so, but then again, I don't expect anybody else has as many images as I do ;)

For anybody wondering, the very old pics folder contains loads of old 90x90 images collected in older versions of the game, which have not been included in any of the packs above. They're not the biggest, and in some cases not the clearest, but they fill a gap :)

Archived