Youth development question - please help!

Hey guys,

I developed quite a strong youth setup in my club (Brentford). It is 2020´s and now we have a established reputation as one of the strongest teams in Europe, the club is financially sound, etc. One of the insights I tried to follow in developing the club was Cleon´s ideas on player development.

However, despite being able to compete in a strong U21´s league and Champions U21 as well, having a tutoring policy in place and also trying to strengthen the most consistent attributes for each of my youth players (even the ones not expected to break through the first team in the future), virtually all of them keep asking me to get loaned out and have first team experience.

This contradicts Cleon´s theory, and although I try to explain to them that they will develop better by staying (the game doesn´t allow me to stress how important the fact that some of them are being tutored is or that the specific attribute they are developing in a top youth facility by stellar coaches can´t be matched by playing League One or even Championship), they will come back after some weeks and request to be loaned out or sold.

I even gave up on a couple of players and had them loaned out with decent results being optimistic - one of the was supposed to be a regular and I had to recall him from Newcastle in the next transfer window because he wasn´t being played. The other one got played as a DR instead of DC which was the agreement...

How should I deal with that?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Best and cheers,

Tele

If you are going to loan players out, check their player report before accepting any offers to see what their CURRENT ability is (ie which division it says they are at the level of) - if you loan them to a club that is above that level (Even if the loan offer says they will be a valuable first teamer) then chances are they won't get many games as the AI manager will recognise they aren't good enough. So only accept offers around the correct level for them.

As for the correct position thing - firstly, I believe there is a bug in that, in that sometimes they ARE being played in the expected position, but that report suggests they aren't - so ignore it! Even if they are being played out of position - I also ignore that so long as they are actually getting game time - that is, after all, playing competitive matches is the whole reason for loaning them out in the first place!

If you loan a player out I check carefully the manager and squad first before allowing it - i.e. I won't loan a player who I want as a right back, if the club I am loaning to already has 3 right back only players etc etc.

Thanks for the feedback, guys! Your tips are great, but probably I wrote this in a different way that I meant.

Did any of you have to deal with a fierce desire of your youth players to be loaned out while you wanted them to stay and improve their abilities by training in your high standard facilities with great coaches and good tutors?

I used the "I believe your development will be best served by staying in the club" speech in private talks but it doesn´t work.

They insist in getting out and get concerned about it (haven´t seen any of them get unhappy because of it, but it seems they will...).

Thanks again,

Tele

Not had that issue - but if they really want to go on loan, and they are 'home grown' then I just let them go out for a while - to be honest, nearly all my 18-20 year olds are pretty much mazed out on their potential by that point (within 10-15 points) so getting some game time in a competitive environment is just as good as sitting in my reserves - and if they waste a few months on loan - well they are only 20 years old, so they have plenty of time to still improve to full potential.

PS Just for info - I will also play REALLY good kids in the 1st team - I'm West Ham (been in Europe every year since the 3rd season) and have had 3/4 of my current first choice team as first choice since season 1 when they were all 16 years old (regens).

I have had to deal with your issues Tele Santana. Isn't it an optional talk in an Inbox item though? In my saves, loans have rarely been worth it in terms of development of younger players. I think the notion of player-manager interaction is great, but in it's current iteration it unfortunately feels more like a repetitive dice-rolling chore and less of an exercise in imparting any semblance of understanding.

Frankly, I've pretty much stopped responding to most of the player requests. Similar to the way I've quit changing squad status ever :lol:.

It either doesn't go well and the player's morale goes down the tubes, or no change and you do it all over again in a month or two which equates to an absolute waste of time to me. Next thing you know, you win the CL and your player wants to move to a bigger club to win some silverware. About the only thing I'll bother with is contract talks.

Archived