3-4-1-2 just for a change

While waiting for the final update along with the data update, i've been playing around with various tactics to see what one I'll finally go with my main save in February/March, or whenever the update comes out.

I've started a new save using a 3-4-1-2 system a slight variation of the 3-5-2.

CBR© good ball player/has some pace /good reader of game

CB(D) solid tackler/good in air/

CBL© see CBR

WMR(S) pace/good crosser/good stamina to get back and help defence

BBM(S) loads of stamina/good passer/workrate

DLP(D) very good passer/good tackler/marking

WML(S) see WML

AP(A)

CF(S)

AF(A)

Fluid/attacking/retain possession/ short passing/crosses from by line/ fewer risky passes/attacking players to roam/wide midfielders to stay wide/play into channels/hassle/tempo high

So far things looking good and results are promising.......6-0, 4-0, 5-1, 3-0 in friendlies and beat Aalborg BK of Denmark in the Europa cup qualifying 5-2 on aggregate.

Very few if any goals from corners, most goals coming from attackers or attacking midfielders and the 3 CB's look to be pretty solid at the back so far.

I was looking for a thread with a similar system but couldn't find one, will keep you posted as it looks a decent tactic so far and not seeing so many bugs in game, the passing plays look very good also.

A question for you: why go attacking - and then add retain possession? Why not simply go control (which should do both of those to a degree anyway)?

True, I start off with a tactic, see how it goes and adjust accordingly.

I went attacking due to the many attacking players in the shape of the team, 2 strikers, an AP and 2 wide men, which gives me 4-5 players in advanced roles at any time. I like to retain possession also because I prefer to see good steady build up play, fluid passing and clever final passes to strikers feet.

As you say though, control may also give me similar style playing but I think that's the problem with this years tactics in game, maybe a wee bit over elaborate leading to being overly complicated.

My 3-4-1-2, albeit with wingbacks.

43b4edbf-58fe-4837-be27-30ea64375a6f_zps89a6de7c.png

The AP (a) behind two strikers works really well, doesn't it?

Mine is much more gung ho in attack than yours. It often ends up in a 3-1-2-1-3 shape or something similar, with my two WB's pushing up and effectively playing as wingers.

My 3-4-1-2, albeit with wingbacks.

43b4edbf-58fe-4837-be27-30ea64375a6f_zps89a6de7c.png

The AP (a) behind two strikers works really well, doesn't it?

Mine is much more gung ho in attack than yours. It often ends up in a 3-1-2-1-3 shape or something similar, with my two WB's pushing up and effectively playing as wingers.

Apart from the wing backs, you've read my mind, mines also is very gung attacking but my 3 CB's(+back ups) are all at 7+ in ratings, so they're doing just fine. My wide mids cover when not in possession and my DLP sits in front of the back 3 spraying the ball around willy nilly, so far it works like a charm, just waiting on final data and ME update to start my big save, looks like Hibs have signed 3 very attacking wingers/strikers in this window, so looking forward to getting them in the team.

Your back three configuration is quite interesting, and is something I've considered deploying against lone striker systems. Does it work well in those instances?

I use the traditional way of playing a back three, with two halfbacks and a sweeper/covering defender. The two outer DC's push slightly forward when in possession.

I chose the 2 outer back to be cover, they have to have a bit of pace, good at passing etc a CB who can also play full is ideal as they read the side of the pitch they play on better, the middle CB is just a good solid no nonsense CB, so far working ok.

I have a 4-5-1 set up in case my tactic doesn't work against certain tactics, so 2 of my CB's can slip into full back position very easily, so far not needed to use it yet.

Archived