Defining yourself as manager

This is not a guide, but merely an insight into yourself, simulating a manager.

Defining You as Manager: "Everyone always did their best for him because he believed in you"Giving instructions, interacting with players, recruiting players, making decisions; This is just some of your tasks in FM, and this new installment is giving you possibilities to micromanage every single aspect at your desired club. How can you create your managerial personality? I'll start with the three C's!

Communication: Clear communication to your players about instructions, well thought analysis of the squads chance in the league and current match to provide a good team talk or interaction with your players. Put it across with passion! Tactics are important, but men win football matches!

If you plan on benching a player, talk to them more. The rotational players need more motivation than the regular starters. Always try to improve relationship with players. Congratulate when achieving (international debut, goal, winning a trophy etc) This improves retention value from the player.

Confidence: Being confident, creates confidence! Be realistic about your chances, but always support your team no matter what! Perhaps you don't always expect to win, but a good performance can be equally as important for morale.

Criticism: Private! Defend your players in media, and criticize match performance and training levels in private chats. Motivate through criticism. Always look for reactions from the player, even when praising! Make notes if necessary to remember who reacts well to criticism, and who reacts bad to praise!

Tones: Tones define you to your players! Using tones through press conferences and team talks is how the players will see you. Calm and analytical may help in big matches where the players need to get their heads straight, or showing your passion for the team, with confidence can be equally as good. It's how you want to be seen by the players and media.

Tactics: Do you analyze the oppositions weaknesses, or play the way you want to play regardless? Micromanaging the squad to get that little extra space may be equally as important as attempting to build long-term strategy of playing the way you want. You decide as everything else.

Squad: No single player is greater than the team! Ruthlessness in decisions to drop/sell players. Provide stability, but always be aware of the need for fundamental change.

Strategy: It's important to conceive a long-term strategy for the club. Where do you aim to be in one year, three years and five years. Always looking to improve the squad (with talent or first team players)

Hunger: The most important attribute is the hunger to learn! What makes you great is not by celebrating the current victory, but focusing on achieving the next one.

Oh and luck! You need luck as well. Equally as important.

"There is only one way to motivate players every time, and that is to appeal to the things they have not yet achieved"

Reshaping: "Reshaping a club is no sprint, it's a marathon. Although you must compete in the sprint, to achieve the expectation of the marathon."Infrastructure: Always developing the facilities, nagging the board for better working condition for yourself and your backroom staff! Establish a management layer with your most important backroom staff (these who you would want to bring anywhere, example: Mourinho with his entourage containing Rui Faria, Silvino Louro and Jose Morais. Managing responsibilities in the club. Who does what? Assistant managing training sessions? DoF purchases players? And ships scouts to outer space? Important to decide what you want to be in control of yourself! What's your strength and weakness in management? How can the staff complete you, as manager?

Culture: Create a thriving culture to improve brand in your club. Personality of players, backroom staff and professionality in the club. How can you improve? Creating a winning culture in the team is important, while also ensuring that anyone who doesn't fit the character of the club, is replaced with someone who is.

Youth Development & training: I won't dwell into this topic, but rather link to cleons thread on the subject which is excellent: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/343043-Ajax-Youth-Development-%E2%80%93-When-The-Real-World-Meets-Football-Manager

Recruitment: "With every player there is a moment when his value is higher than the price."Hire slow, fire fast: Using scouts, analyzing players before deciding if he's gonna be worth the money. Do not be seduced by availability.

Ask yourself; What do you want from the player?

-Provide cover? - Competition for position? - Be "The Man"? - Be the old head? - Create balance in your team? - Provide enthusiasm too fans and players.

Planning ahead is what makes great managers from good ones. Have at least two replacements in the pipeline, one of equal standing, and one with potential. Over the years players will try to test you, by asking for higher wages, more playing time, more transfer bids accepted etc. I've already mentioned this, but NO player is greater than the team.

Only through the team can players realize their potential.

And one last important note when you've decided it's time to split apart with your old assets. Try to ensure any leaving players don't go anywhere they can hurt you. ;)

Hope this has been insightful, and I wish you all, good managing.

Some interesting points you make here. I find it team talks easier in FM14 than ever before for big teams, but struggle with LLM teams. Lower league players tend to totally bipolar in their motivation/hapiness/pressure levels. So i tend to be more careful when managing a lower league team in tone and expectations.

So my first big move in my LLM save will be signing players who show some consistency in how they react to my team talks/media interactions. :)

Could try to find an assistant manager with high motivational skill and at least get his oppinion on what needs to be said.

Having several interactions with your players will increase your relationship, which in turn makes the team talk easier as players is more eager to listen to someone they like.

Archived