Player Positions v Tactical Setup

Hi,

Just a query, is it more important to have a tactic setup with the correct player roles to make the overall tactic work, or is it more important to have the correct player roles for the players I have in those positions... if that makes sense!!!

Erm what I mean is, I play with two centre midfielders, one a CM-D and the other DLP-S, and I have players who's main roles match, then I have a player own can play as a CM-D and as a Box to Box player, so if I put him in the team as the CM-D that should work ok, but can I get away with using him also as a DLP-S (his stats are ok to player that role) or should I setup the tactic so that if I put him in that roles it changes to role to Box to Box... not really explaining this very well, but I hope you get what I mean!!!

:o

Neither option is 100% correct; you need players to match a cohesive tactic in order to to get the most from your squad. I tend to pick 2-3 key players who I expect to be the driving force in the play, give them a role that suits their strengths as much as possible and work the rest of the tactic around them. Ideally, every player will have a role that suits them and works in harmony with those around them. If they don't fit the system, they're on their way out to be replaced by someone that does.

There are a few positions that are open to several types of player, sometimes depending on the opposition for that match. For example, if you play with two up front, the support role might be filled with either a DLP or a Target man. I'd chose the player that will have the most success against the opposition I'm facing, though I'd need to tweak the play style to suit and possibly one or two players further back to feed the right type of balls forward.

As with many things with FM, there's no hard and fast rule.

Archived