Help / advice needed!

Hi all, I have read wwfan's brilliant guide to playing FM. And I have acknowledged I had a problem in the past, so I want to change, and want to understand the game and learn more about it. I am after some help for my following formation.

I have got the Gillingham job after they've been relegated back to League Two. They had a small squad with a few good players, but I have added players and strengthened quite well so we have a good squad, among the best in the league on the comparison screens.

ScreenShot2013-03-25at152442.png

This is my formation having read and tried to take in wwfan's guide. I guess it's a common problem but we are having lot of possession, around 60% per match, but not really creating many good scoring chances, maybe 1 or 2 CCC and 1 or 2 half chances per game. So far we have W1 D2 and L3 matches.

In game I use the shouts; Play out of Defence, Drop Deeper (as we have low pace in defence), Retain Possession, Play through Defence.

I am beginning to get frustrated but don't want to give up or go back to old sloppy ways. So I am trying to learn and hopefully some of you have the time to be able to try and help me. Thanks!

1. You've got the impression that you are one of the best teams in the league (which is probably true, judging from your statement about the comparison screens)

2. You've got an (overly) attacking strategy to start matches with (which is probably related to point 1, but not necessarily the right way to go about in FM)

Starting games on attacking is correct from a philosophical point of view (you'll want your superior team to attack the inferior opponent), but definitely not from an FM point of view.

This pitfall exists because of the words assigned to different strategy options. You've got defensive-counter-balanced-control-attack to start with.

This is one of the most misleading things in FM... In my view, a lot of people would be better served if those options would be termed option A-B-C-D-E.

Even on a defensive strategy, teams will attack when the time is right. It's just a matter of how much risk they are willing to take.

Playing on a counter strategy can see you winning the possession battle when you use the correct shouts, player roles and PPM's.

I'd switch to a balanced strategy first, and you may even need to try counter too. You've stated that your defense is on the slow side, but you're forcing them into a very high position on the pitch now, with an offside trap and more aggressive tackling. The drop deeper shout only marginally helps here (just check the slider setting!).

No teams win all their tackles, so with slow defenders high up the pitch, this is a very risky game plan. May be useful when chasing a late equalizer, but not to start with.

Just, try and watch some of your matches on 2D and see if you can identify this issue. From the looks of your set-up this sounds like (a big part of) the problem...

Try simplifying things. For one, the CM duties.

Maybe just the one playmaker will do, give the other a different role, such as CM (d), CM (s) or BWM.

Instead of attacking, try toning down the starting strategy to 'standard'.

You will probably want to rethink the high-line, as with a slow defence you are at high risk here.

Normal passing instead of shorter passing. Normal creative freedom.

Turning a slump around isn't easy, but the problem is not always the tactics. So if you make some changes, and the results don't come immediately, don't throw out the baby with the bath water, just yet.

I would agree with most of what has been said.

Start with a balanced strategy and Counter Attack. You can always change to Attack if you fall behind.

I find if my defence is slow then using Stand Off Opponents can be a good tactic as it makes the defence more difficult to penetrate.

Thanks guys very much appreciated :).

I kept on plugging away last night before reading your posts and changed my 442 to the following:

ScreenShot2013-03-26at172817.png

I also have made a set of shouts I call Counter, which are Clear Ball to Flanks, Pass Into Space, Run at Defence & Hit Early Crosses.

This is serving me well and has certainly seen an upturn in fortunes, we seem to be a bit more solid at the back whilst being deadly on the counter, despite having quite slow forwards too, but the wingers are good.

ScreenShot2013-03-26at172959.png

(Cup games I played a weak team)

We are one of the best teams in the league yes, media prediction 2nd. I really hope the board give me the rest of the season to turn it round. Harewood as the AF gets lots of goals, with the wingers and CM/S chipping in with a few too.

I suppose I didn't really think about the really high D line, which was very stupid of me having identified we have a slow defence. I guess sometimes you just need even the most obvious things pointing out to you! Thanks again for the help and I welcome any more ideas / suggestions you have. Oh and thanks for explaining the strategies more, makes a lot of sense the way you have explained it.

Looking at it again, I chose Press More because we have the best work rate and tackling in the league, but with the slow defence maybe I should leave it as default?

I would leave it at Default as it gives more flexibility.

You will probably find that you still get most possession but if you are losing out you can use the shout Hassle Opponents to win it back. On the other hand you may wish to go the other way.

I was playing as Notts Forest against Spurs away from home. AAron Lennon was giving my left back a terrible time and causing all sorts of problems to my defence. I used the shout Stand Off Opponents and Lennon still beat my full back but he held Lennon up long enough for other defenders to cover for him and allow him time to have another go at Lennon.

On possession and shots on goal we should have lost heavily but ended up winning 1-0.

I don't expect something like this to work all the time but I had little to lose as Spurs were a far superior team.

Cool sounds good. Amazingly Gillingham sacked me! After a 9 match unbeaten run, winning 5 straight games then losing 1-0. Got the Levante job though who have been relegated to Liga Adelante, promotion expected! They have brilliant squad but I think I'll go with Counter mentality again.

We were 13th and promotion was expected. But we were only 5 points off playoffs and in December!

Unbeaten at Levante, drew 0-0 and 2-2. Then won 4-1. All against higher teams in the league. Will post my formation later to see if you think I could improve it at all lol.

Archived