4-2-4 Six-Four Reborn (13.1.3)

I came to the conclusion that the best way to defend against through-balls from the flanks in-behind sleeping central defenders was to make sure those wingers were busy defending and were closed down intensively when they were not. Over the course of the last month, I observed that the flat 442 had many advantages and very few disadvantages, and therefore decided to make another attempt at resurrecting my old 424 tactic, which had served me well from the final patch of FM11 until the Dragon Cometh (13.1.3). To my surprise and joy it worked! All I actually did was to give the DMC's and the full backs run forwards and move the tempo to nearly quick instead of nearly slow plus some other minor tweaks.

The result was a tactic that regularly outscores the opponent, can achieve great possession and chance creation and makes an actual difference on the pitch. With the right players, I think I can re-create the success I had with Las Palmas (FM11) and Bradford (FM12) now that I am in the fourth season with Salisbury currently leading League One.

So here's a screenshot of the tactic.

424sixfourreborn.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

424sixfourrebornfixture.png

424sixfourrebornfixture.png

* Notes to the fixture screenshots: I played the match vs Atletico then holidayed for two months, until 15th of March. By that time all the tactical familiarity bars were 100% except Formation at 60%. The AI didn't seem to have a problem with the tactic.

* I got a Swedish Sugar Daddy (søta bror) in L2 with Salisbury. So when I got promoted I of course spent like £8m on new players, a whole lot of them, and to begin with performances were inconsistent. As you see, by October they started to actually find each other with their pass/run timing and since then things have been looking good. This also means that the Salisbury team is a strong one.

* That match vs Bayern, my RM team wasn't very good at all, but countered in two goals and won without too much trouble. That was actually exactly the answer I needed before I decided to upload this tactic.

Here's a youtube clip of that 5-4 win:

... Just to try to convey that feeling that with this tactic you -can- score that extra goal.

So to the player requirements:

Full backs: Mainly defensive capabilities. High Work Rate.

Centre backs: Stopper types with high Work Rate, Anticipation, Concentration, Composure, Decisions.

Defensive Midfielders: Destroyers. As physical as possible; high Work Rate, Quickness, Strength, Decisions and Tackling.

Wingers: Playmaker wingers with some capabilities as Inside Forwards. I try to have one set of pacey classical wingers as well if I can't get hold of 4-5 of these of sufficient quality.

Strikers: Should be creative, smart strikers. I try to have one set of big, strong ones, and one set of more technical, quick ones.

Opposition Instructions: I find it useful sometimes to max out OI's on MR and ML players, and haven't experienced clear indications that this is ever negative in some way. This is not necessary on AMR and AML players as they are by default closer to the full backs.

Pitch Size: standard.

Other:Very risky tactic with un-gelled squad and while the tactic is unfamiliar. You might want to use it in emergencies only until it is at least accomplished and as you see above, sparingly until October if you have signed many new players. I am working on a more defensive, counter-attack version which I will also upload as soon as it is done. A 5-4-1 ultradefensive tactic shouldn't be difficult for anyone to make in this ME.

What is changed in the 1.2 version?

I didn't upload the two first versions. The first one had two MC's with normal mentalities and rarely run forwards. The second version I moved the midfielders to DMC and made them more attacking with sometimes run forward, and I set the full backs and wingers to sometimes run forward instead of often.

• 2 weeks later...

I use it every game. I make some small changes when necessary, though, based on what I see on the pitch. The version I use now have slightly less attacking full backs, but I change them back to this version when I face tactics without wingers/wide midfielders. I sometimes move my wingers back to MRL positions. I've got a more defensive counter-tactic and a 5-4-1 which I sometimes swap to when the team's having a bad day or I get a red card etc.

But I always start with this tactic yes. I could upload v 1.3 but the differences are minute.

Archived