Turning a good tactic into a great one

I'm at the start of my fifth season as manager of Manchester United and have had a good amount of success so far. I have won twelve cups including three Champions Leagues however I have been unable to win the league with City taking four consecutive titles(last year was the most heartbreaking, losing by one goal on goal difference despite the fact that I scored 120 goals).

ManUtdHistory_Competitions.jpg

This has largely been down to my away form. Last season my record was W11 D4 L4 which compared to my home form of W18 D1 L0 was very poor including a difference in goal difference of 39 goals. I decided to make a separate tactic for away matches which I have only started using but hasn't really got off to the best of starts. When I used my home tactic away from home I had some horrific results including a 6-1 loss to Blackburn at Ewood Park. The thing that came up time and time again from my assistants feedback was that my short passes weren't finding their target and that my shots weren't going on target. This was really frustrating considering that I had a very good squad(I have too many players to be honest). This is why I decided to come on here to get some advice on how to improve my tactic and create an away tactic.

ManchesterUnitedFixtures_Fixtures.jpg

EnglishPremierDivisionOverview_Stages.png

I have only been playing Football Manager for a couple of years but this was the first year that I decided to make my own tactic instead of downloading one. My current tactic is a 4-2-4 with a lot of creative freedom, roaming and very attacking.

ManchesterUnitedTactics_TeamInstructions.png

ManchesterUnitedTactics_PlayerInstructions.png

ManchesterUnitedTactics_PlayerInstructions-2.png

ManchesterUnitedTactics_PlayerInstructions-3.png

ManchesterUnitedTactics_PlayerInstructions-4.png

ManchesterUnitedTactics_PlayerInstructions-5.png

ManchesterUnitedTactics_PlayerInstructions-6.png

ManchesterUnitedTactics_PlayerInstructions-7.png

ManchesterUnitedTactics_PlayerInstructions-8.png

ManchesterUnitedTactics_PlayerInstructions-9.png

ManchesterUnitedTactics_PlayerInstructions-10.png

ManchesterUnitedTactics_PlayerInstructions-11.png

ManchesterUnitedSquad_Players.png

ManchesterUnitedSquad_Players-2.png

ManchesterUnitedSquad_Players-3.png

Ever since FM 2011 I've been exclusively using 41221 dmc, 2cm, 2inside forwards, and 1 CF.

Oddly enough the league is a guarantee win, the other cups aren't though. There are some issues with the match engine that needs fixing though, then i'll lose even less :p (such as players backing away when they are closest to the ball).

I used a 433 with 3 centre mids and 3 strikers in the first season(finishing 3pts behind City) but decided to switch to my current tactic because I had too much wingers to leave in the reserves. Since then I have used that tactic in every match and finished 1pt behind, 7pts behind and then losing on GD.

P.S. The images are now up so if anyone has any advice it will be much appreciated.

I have a different suggestion. Why don't you bail on one of the competitions you are in so you can focus better on the EPL? Finish the CL group and use not the best lineup in a defensive style so you dont lose by much to get many complaints. Or do this in some other competition(s) you can ditch. This way your players should be more fit to compete and it should make enough of a difference considering how close you were to winning.

Regarding the tactic, some players like Vidic and Rooney have pretty weak rating. I'd change Rooney in a DLFS, turn Vidic on man mark and have Fellaini as BWM (preferably D so he can help Vidic when he's dragged out of position). Maybe even play Balanced, turn De Gea in normal GK drop the dline somewhere around normal though the tactic might not be the real problem as winning 12 titles in 5 years isn't meaningless.

I have a different suggestion. Why don't you bail on one of the competitions you are in so you can focus better on the EPL? Finish the CL group and use not the best lineup in a defensive style so you dont lose by much to get many complaints. Or do this in some other competition(s) you can ditch. This way your players should be more fit to compete and it should make enough of a difference considering how close you were to winning.

Regarding the tactic, some players like Vidic and Rooney have pretty weak rating. I'd change Rooney in a DLFS, turn Vidic on man mark and have Fellaini as BWM (preferably D so he can help Vidic when he's dragged out of position). Maybe even play Balanced, turn De Gea in normal GK drop the dline somewhere around normal though the tactic might not be the real problem as winning 12 titles in 5 years isn't meaningless.

I don't think fitness is the real problem though because I have a large squad and they are more than capable of throughout the season

Archived