Wellington Phoenix - Rise of The Kiwi Phoenix

nick1408

125px-Wellington_Phoenix_crest.png

Please note: some players and staff reviewed may not be at the club in-game, but they will be in the future. They moved to Phoenix after data deadline

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellington_Phoenix_FC

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/wellingtonphoenix/

During the later stages of the 2006–07 season, the Football Federation of Australia (FFA) removed the New Zealand Knights' (NZK) A-League licence due to the club's financial and administrative problems and poor on-field performance. After the resignation of the NZK board, FFA transferred the licence to New Zealand Soccer (NZS; now New Zealand Football), which administered the club for the rest of the season before its subsequent dissolution.

FFA then provided NZS a provisional A-League licence to sub-let to a suitable New Zealand team to enter the A-League 2007–08 season. The FFA set an application deadline to NZS and subsequently delayed that deadline to give more time for potential applicants in New Zealand to apply along with NZS support. After much delay, the final amount needed for the application came from Wellington property businessman Terry Serepisos in the last moments of the bid, giving much relief to the New Zealand football fans. Serepisos, the club's majority owner and chairman, provided NZD $1,000,000 to ensure the beginnings of a new New Zealand franchise and a continuation of New Zealand's participation in the A-League. FFA finalised a three-year A-League licence to New Zealand Football who then sub-let the licence to the Wellington-based franchise.[/url] The Wellington franchise was confirmed on 19 March 2007.

The name for the new club was picked from a shortlist of six, pruned from 250 names suggested by the public, and was announced on 28 March 2007. Serepisos said of the name: "It symbolises the fresh start, the rising from the ashes, and the incredible Wellington support that has come out".

Despite the backing of FIFA, AFC President Mohammed Bin Hammam has stated that due to AFC criteria the Wellington team must move to Australia or disband by 2011. However in an interview aired on SBS on 21 December 2008 FIFA President Sepp Blatter stated unequivocally that "It is not the matter of the Confederation, it is the matter of the FIFA Executive Committee... If Wellington will go on play on in Australian League, then as long as Australian league wants to have them and Wellington wants to stay (and) Both association in this case, New Zealand Soccer and Australian Football are happy with that then we will give them the blessing. The Confederation can not interfere with that.". This happens in other leagues, for example Welsh team Swansea City A.F.C. play in the English Premier League

On 20 April 2010, the FFA granted the Phoenix a 5-year licence extension, keeping it in the competition until at least the conclusion of the 2015–16 season.

There isn't much of a backroom and what you do have isn't good. Look to strengthen the backroom however you can. Below are some staff I usually aim for:

Coach: Marcial (Jose de Ribamar da Silva Miranda Filho)

Coach: Marcos Fernando

Assistant: Adolfo Valencia

Physios:

Sack all straight up. Replace then ASAP.

Scouts:

There are none! Sign some as soon as possible. I have no standout recommendations unfortunately...

I also set a world scout when available to find only Australian and New Zealand players. This is due to the A-League only allowing five foreign players. As Wellington you do have the added bonus of Kiwi's not counting as visa players. If you have the resources try and send a scout to North America. There are a lot of New Zealanders in the college system there.

Squad:

Goalkeepers

Mark Patson

Glen Moss

Defenders

Ben Sigmund

Manny Muscat

Tony Lochhead

Andrew Durante

Cameron Lindsay

Michael Boxall

Nikolas Tsattalios

Luke Rowe

Jimmy Downey

Midfielders

Vince Lia

Louis Fenton

Tom Biss

Lucas Pantelis

Leo Bertos

Dani Sanchez

Paul Ifill

Strikers Jeremy Brockie

Stein Huysegems

Alex Smith

Benjamin Totori

Tyler Boyd

Mirjan Parlovic

A decent squad which should compete for the lower end of the A-League finals but you will need to strengthen for future seasons. Remember though, bring Wellington there is no Asian Champions League. One thing I like to do is once the season closes, loan all your players to overseas clubs. This does one of two things; a) keeps players fresh over a long off-season (April-October) and b) gets the wages off the total wage budget to help sign players.

Tip: Offer minimum wage and maximum bonues (sign on fees and agent fees) as this helps sign players and keep the wage under the salary cap.

Goalkeepers

Alough star rated lower I would start Glen Moss. Overall he slightly edges Mark Patson for me. Signing another keeper is essential though as both Patson and Moss are Kiwi internationals and you will lose both when the internationals come around. Keep an eye on Jake Gleeson from Portland and also Phil Imray at Wairararapa as Kiwi players and Jess Van Stratten as an Australian free agent who won't get international caps to cover the Kiwi players.

Youngster to Watch: Nil

Recommended Signing: Jake Gleeson, Phil Imray, Jess Van Stratten, Stefan Marinovic, Jacob Spoonley

Recommended Sale: Nil

Right Backs

There are two players that could play here in your first seasonManny Muscat and Jimmy Downey. Muscat is far more defensive than Downey but Downey is faster Muscat will be your number one with Downey as backup. I wouldn't bother trying to get someone in straight away but you do have some handy players at your feeder Team Wellington that may be worth bringing into the A-League squad. I would try and train vince Lia into the RB position as backup.

Youngster to Watch: Nil

Recommended Signing: Liam Graham, Andrew Greenham

Recommended Sale: Jimmy Downey

Youth: Michael Edgar (Team Wellington)

Left Backs

Again, an area with a clear number one and a backup. Tony Lochhead will be your LB with Nik Tsattalios as the capable backup. Luke Rowe looks like he may come on to take over from Lochhead in the future so try and do your best to develop his talent.

Youngster to Watch: Luke Rowe

Recommended Signing: Ian Hogg, Tim Bunce

Centre Backs

Michael Boxall and Ben Sigmund are the two starters with Andrew Durante as the backup. Cameron Lindsay needs some development but at 19 may not have enough time beofre he is required to step up to the first team. Plenty of Kiwis to keep an eye on when coming out of contract. Ryan Neilson would make a great marquee.

Recommended Signing: Winston Reid, Tommy Smith, Ryan Neilson, Andrew Boyens, Luke Adams,

Youth: Cameron Lindsay

Right Midfielders/Wingers

Plenty of options but they are all over 30. Paul Ifill (32 tyears old) and Leo Bertos (30) are probably the first two to have a look at. Vince Lia is a bit younger but not as good and Dani Sanchez can also cover here, as well as a few of your strikers. There aren't too many good young Kiwi players around so probably a good spot to use a visa player in.

Recommended Signing: Miguel Zepeda for one season

Youth: Nil

Left Midfielders/Wingers

Louis Fenton and Lucas Pantelis are the two left wingers in the squad and neither are really that good. Fenton will get an upgrade in a future patch so keep an eye on that. I would look to sign someone here as well. Bryan Little at Team Wellington could do the job for a season but you will still need future cover.

Recommended Signing: Bryan Little (Team Wellington), Marco Rojas

Recommended Sale: Lucas Pantelis

Youngster to Watch: Louis Fenton

Central Midfielders

You have a few to choose from here, unfortunately none stand out. Manny Muscat is your best DM with Lia as backup. Dani Sanchez and Alex Smith are both attacking midfielders with Fenton as the young star coming through. Serious investment required here. Have a good look at Corey Chettleburgh from Sparta and Pedro Garcia from Lower Hutt.

Recommended Signing: DM - Ivan Vicelich, Michael Edgar, Cole Peverley, Tim Payne, Michael Vaz. CM - Nicholas Delmoro, Dean Keat, Francis de Vries, Mitchell Cooper, Alon Blumgart, Corey Chettleburgh, Jamie Doris. AM - Craig Henderson, Cameron Howieson, Chris James, Pedro Garcia, Rhys Edwards.

Recommended Sale: Lia if he isn't retrained to RB, Biss

Youngster to Watch: Fenton

Strikers

Plenty of strikers available but Stein Huysegems is your main player here. He has adequate support from Jeremy Brockie and Benjamin Totori. Future investment is required but not as important as the centre of midfield.

Recommended Signing: Chris Wood, Shane Smeltz, Chris Killen, Ernesto Lopez, Rory Fallon, Scott Stillnovic, Nathan Cunningham,

Recommended Sale: Tyler Boyd, Alex Smith

Youth: Nil

Wellington can play in a variety of formations. My preferred is a 4-4-2. My formation looks like this:

Moss

Muscat, Boxall, Sigmund, Lochead

Ifill, Sanchez, Fenton, Pantelis

Huysegems, Brockie

The other formation I use is:

Moss

Lia, Boxall, Sigmund, Lochead

Muscat, Sanchez

Brockie, Fenton, Ifill

Huysegems

The key to being successful is to keep the wages low and sign good youth. As Wellingtonyou don't start with a lot of money and without the ACL there isn't a good source of cashflow in the future. Player development and sales are probably your best bet. As you have probably gathered, the starting youth is poor and Wellington don't really operate a youth team as they are not part of the National Youth League. There are a lot of overseas youngsters who will be willing to come home to New Zealand in the future so keep an eye on that.

After your first season have a player filter set to all players in Australia and New Zealand under 16, then get one of your scouts to provide you with a player report on the 200-300 players that come up. This will keep you on top of all the players that could become stars for your club.

The other thing to keep an eye on is players coming out of contract. Make sure you have a filter set to Australian's coming out of contract and one to world players coming out of contract. Players coming out of contract that I have been able to sign after season one include:

Brad Jones

Michael Zullo

Mark Schwarzer

Brent McGrath

Ryan McGowan

Alex Cisak

Lucas Neill

Bailey Wright

Adam Sarota

Josip Simunic

James Holland

Kerem Bulut

Dean Bouzanis

Scott Chipperfield

Dylan McGowan

Jackson Irvine

Liam Jacob

Nick Feely

Ryan Marveggio

Robert Stambolziev

New Zealanders in the same position are:

Winston Reid

Cameron Wood

Marco Rojas

Ryan Neilson

Luke Adams

Rory Fallon

Jake Gleeson

Dean Keat

Stefan Marinovic

Cole Peverley

Chris James

This list is by no means extensive but they are Australians and New Zealanders I try and sign. Once out of contract they don't ask to be marquees. If wages are an issue wait until their contracts expire, take them on trial then offer them a wage.

Make sure you only sign players to the contract length you need them for. You cannot sell players to other A-League clubs so it can be hard to move some players on.

Remember, at the moment players under 21 don't need to be registered. Take advantage of this as I see it changing very soon. If you don't register players who are over 21 they are released.

Finally, generally you can only scout a few regions so set your scouts to roam these areas. It should keep you on top of any potential signings that would like to sign with you.

Nice to have a Phoenix thread but it just highlights how inaccurate the database is:

Tsattalios left the Phoenix at the end of last season

Luciano Trani is now working as best described a scout

Pavlovic and Pantellis are out injured indefinitely - it sounds Pav could be career threatening - and hopefully the spelling mistake is yours and not the database.

Bertos is playing at RB IRL, should have some points there and has been a WB for All Whites for 3 years

Durante is probably our best defender IRL and first on the team sheet

Bryan Little and Michael Edgar are not at Team Wellington

Interestingly it seems that some players from the Wellington Football School of Excellence, Rowe and Biss are included in the Phoenix squad - they are not actually registered to the Phoenix, they are currently registered with Team Wellington as are all the Football School of Excellence players.

Surprised that Perth is not given rival status, do not think that Sydney should be a rival - more feeling against Victory and Jets. I'm also surprised that Daniel and Sigmund are not at least favoured personnel.

Also interesting that players that have proven not to be good enough for the Phoenix IRL such as Edgar, Peverly and Chettleburgh are considered better options than our midfield - these guys have trialled and/or trained under Ricki a lot and have not been signed even when they could have been signed for free.

I don't think Pedro Garcia has been at Lower Hutt for some years.

Currently IRL lining up in a 442:

---------Paston/Moss

Bertos Sigmund Durante Lochhead

-------Smith/Lia Muscat

Fenton-----------------Ifill

-------Brockie Huysegems

When Sanchez gets back from injury in December it could result in a formation change to a 4231:

--------Paston/Moss

Bertos Sigmund Durante Lochhead

------Smith/Lia Muscat

----------Sanchez

Brockie/Fenton-----Ifill

-------Huysegems

The Phoenix appears to be very inaccurate from what you have posted nick and I agree with what Bullion has said. I would manager the Phoenix in FM if you could play in the Asian Champions League. But since you can't it doesn't make the Phoenix attractive for me as once you have the A-League there really isn't much else to win :|

I wonder if the Phoenix will be allowed to compete in the O-League eventually?

• 3 months later...

Was just wondering if anyone could supply me with details regarding wellington's current squad or direct me to a site that is accurate, updating the current updated db re: the A-League as im still finding mistake after mistake with current squads whether they be wrong squad or wrong positions, thanks

Archived