Playmaker/Free Roles(s)

Can anyone tell me if there's a set way of choosing a playmaker and assigning players free roles within a tactic? For example, does the playmaker role depend on the formation you are using or simply personnel? And the same with free roles, is it down to the formation you use (for instance giving a free role to the middle man in the "3" in a 4-2-3-1) or again is it just simply down to personnel and choosing which a player you want to drift around?

You can manually decide which players you want to have which. Although I think by defualt a Treq has a free role and if you set a plaer as an AP or a DLP they will automatically be set as the playmaker.

When the TC automatically assigns a playmaker, it's done based solely off the player roles, and has nothing to do with position/formation. There are 3 roles that are automatically assigned as playmaker:

Trequartista, Deep-Lying Playmaker, Advanced Playmaker

The TC also prioritises them in the order I've listed them - so if you had both a TQ and a DLP in your team, it would make the TQ the playmaker.

So I could play a 4-2-3-1 with, say, a CM-Defend, CM-Support, and AM-Attack; no playmaking roles, so no playmaker ticked. Hence it's all about the roles, not about the formation.

As for how the TC assigns free roles - again, it depends on the role/duty you give to your player, and further on whether you set them to 'more roaming' or 'stick to position' in the team instructions menu. Typically speaking, the Trequartista, Complete Forward, and on certain settings the Wingers will all roam. There's probably more but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Archived