FM 2012: Preston North End FC - Invincibles Mark II?

pnefcben

2zhqpep.jpg

PRESTON NORTH END F.C

Links

Official Website

Wikipedia Page

Squad Profiles

HISTORY

In the past Preston were famously successful, being the first winners of "The Double" in English football. In 1888-89 Preston became the only team to go throughout an entire season unbeaten in both the league and FA Cup — only Arsenal F.C., in 2003-04, have managed to have an unbeaten season in any league division since, with the Gunners also achieving the feat in the top flight (although Arsenal played 38 games to Preston's 22). PNE were league champions again the following season, and have not won the title since. Their last major trophy was an FA Cup triumph in 1938.

Preston North End, as first winners of the Football League, have the right to wear their home kit at all times. This right is shared with two other clubs: Notts County (as the first registered club in the football league), and Reading (for being 'the royal club'). In recent years however, all three clubs have adapted to using a change shirt due to the extra financial reward this brings.

Preston were relegated to the Second Division (currently the Football League Championship) in 1961 and have not played in the top division since. They did reach the FA Cup final in 1964, but lost to West Ham United.

Bobby Charlton, an England World Cup winner from 1966, was appointed Preston manager in 1973, but was unable to stop them from sliding into the Third Division in his first season and left after two years in charge. A brief respite in 1978 saw them win promotion back to the Second Division, but they went down after three seasons and in 1985 fell into the Fourth Division for the first time in their history.

In 1986, Preston finished second from bottom in the Fourth Division and only avoided dropping into the Football Conference because the other Football League members voted in favour of the division's bottom four teams retaining their senior status.

The arrival of new manager John McGrath saw Preston win promotion to the Third Division a year later, and they were still at this level when McGrath left in 1990. Veteran player Les Chapman took over as manager, but left in October 1992 to be replaced by John Beck. The 38-year-old Beck had only recently been sacked by Cambridge United, where he had achieved two successive promotions and come within a whisker of attaining a unique third. Beck was unable to save Preston from relegation from the first season of the new Division Two. He endured a Division Three playoff final failure before quitting in 1994 to be replaced by his assistant Gary Peters

Peters guided Preston to Division Three title glory in his first full season as manager, and quit in February 1998 to be replaced by 34-year-old defender David Moyes. Preston quickly developed into Division Two promotion contenders under Moyes, reaching the 1998-99 playoffs (losing to Gillingham in the semi-finals before finally being promoted as champions a year later.

Preston began the new millennium by winning promotion from Division 2 in the 1999-2000 season as champions. They almost made it two promotions a row in 2001, but lost 3-0 to Bolton in the Division One playoff final.

Moyes left for Everton in March 2002, and his assistant Kelham O'Hanlon took over for the remainder of the season. Preston narrowly missed out on the play-offs and in the summer former Scottish national coach Craig Brown took over as manager. Preston were little more than a mid-table side during Brown's tenure, though they were never in any real danger of being relegated. He left in August 2004 to be succeeded by his assistant Billy Davies.

Davies guided Preston to the Championship playoff final in his first season as manager, but they lost to West Ham United. They reached the playoffs again the following year, this time losing in the semi-finals, to Leeds United. Davies then moved to Derby and was replaced by Carlisle boss Paul Simpson, who took over Davies's team and initially carried on where Davies left off. Preston spent much of the 2006-07 season in the automatic promotion or playoff places, however from March 2007 the club slid rapidly down the league. This happened even after holding on to David Nugent in the transfer window and Simpson being allowed to bring in a number of loan signings. The club failed to make the end-of-season play-offs, despite a 1-0 victory over Birmingham City at Deepdale on the final day of the season. They finished the season in seventh place.

Chart showing the progress of Preston North End through the English football league system from the inaugural season in 1888–89 to 2007–08 when Preston North End came 15th in the League Championship

On 11 July 2007 David Nugent, the first Preston player to win an England cap for 50 years, left the club to join Portsmouth for a reported transfer fee of £6,000,000. Although the club lost only one key player (David Nugent) and brought in several players including Darren Carter, Kevin Nicholls and Karl Hawley, to reshape the team they did not recover from their poor run of form. In August 2007, Simpson banned the playing of Elvis Presley's Can't Help Falling in Love, a song which had been a popular part of the pre-match music at Deepdale for over ten years, stating, "I don't know whose idea this song is at the start, because it seems to put everyone in a bit of a depression. We have to make sure we get something which the players respond to and go out and perform and the fans respond to as well. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we are losing games because of that song. But we have to do whatever we can to generate an atmosphere", a move which angered some Preston fans. After a bad start to the 2007-08 season which saw the club pick up just three wins, Paul Simpson was sacked as manager on 13 November.

On 20 November, Everton's assistant manager Alan Irvine was appointed as Preston's new manager on a three-and-a-half year deal, and he achieved his first objective as manager by achieving Preston's survival in 15th place. The following season he lead Preston to 6th in the Championship after a good run of form towards the end of the season, qualifying for the playoffs. They lost 2-1 on aggregate to Sheffield United after a 1-1 draw at Deepdale was followed by a 1-0 loss at Sheffield United's Bramall Lane.

Midway through the 2009-10 season, Alan Irvine was sacked after a poor run of results and replaced by Darren Ferguson, the son of legendary Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson. He'd left Peterborough United in November bottom of the table, and PNE finished 16th in the table at the end of the season thanks to the astute buys of Paul Coutts and Keith Treacy. His second season didn't go to plan though, he was sacked in December 2010, with North End bottom of the Championship. Being the bitter rednose that he is, Sir Alex brought all his loan players back and phoned his cronie at Stoke, Mr.Pulis who asked for Tonge and Pugh back.

So under the guidance of one Phil Brown, a new era started. A January transfer window of uninspiring signings was looking to prove costly as Brown didn't win any of his first 13 games, but March saw an upturn in form, winning against Scunthorpe United, Coventry City and then later in the month to high flyers Swansea City. It proved to be not enough though, as a loss to Cardiff City at the end of April saw North End relegated back to League One, the first time they would play in that league since they won the league trophy in 2000.

With a major cost-cutting scheme in the summer, seeing big earners like Sean St.Ledger, Andy Lonergan and Keith Treacy leave Deepdale to Championship clubs, and being replaced by free transfers and loans, Phil Brown has a big job on his hands to take Preston back to the npower Championship. But with some fantastic players at your services to start off with, it's not an impossible challenge!

FM INFORMATION

Nation: England

Year Founded: 1881

Chairman Status: Loves the club

Legends: Bill Shankly, Sir Tom Finney, Alan Kelly Snr

Icons: Dave Nugent, Graham Alexander, David Moyes, Youl Mawene, Sean Gregan, Paul McKenna, Mark Rankine

Favoured Personnel: Mick Rathbone, Billy Jones

Derbies: West Lancashire Derby (vs Blackpool)

Fierce Rivals: Blackpool, Burnley

Other Rivals: Blackburn Rovers, Wigan Athletic, Bolton Wanderers

Finances: Insecure

Average Ticket Price: £20.00

Average Season Ticket Price: £300

Season Ticket Holders: 7,500

Estimated Value: £4.8M (Loan debt: £24.5M)

Media Prediction: 4th

Squad Personality: Determined

Captain: Ian Ashbee

Vice-Captain: Iain Hume

EXPECTATIONS

You don't really get much leeway with the expectations this season. The board expect Promotion. Nothing more, nothing less.

Promotion: £0 Transfer Budget, £64k p/w Wage Budget

Winner: £0 Transfer Budget, £67k p/w Wage Budget

If you sell the likes of Coutts, Mellor and Devine, who I got £800k combined for them, the sliders can be easily adjusted to give you a little bit of budget.

FORMATIONS

With PNEFC, you can play a variety of different formations because of the wide range of positions some of the players can be required to play in. However I have picked up on two formations which are effective for PNE at the start of the game.

linesup1.png

This 4-2-4 formation is a very attacking one and it relies on goals. I have leaked a few goals using this formation, but with my strong backline and very strong attack-line, it works for me no problem.

linesup2.png

The second formation is a 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation. The midfield is packed with hustlers who spread the ball forward and to the wings. It helps if you have a good creater and passer in the Deep Lying Playmaker spot, which Coutts can provide unless you sell him. This formation also provides defensive solidarity with the Anchor Man in-front of the defence.

SQUAD

The original squad is good enough to grace even the bottom half of the Npower Championship, despite losing a few key players over the summer. Lets take a look at the team to see where it needs improving.

Goalkeepers

Goalkeepers.png

Overview: There are only two Goalkeepers in the squad this year, as Andrew Lonergan was sold to Leeds. Iain Turner is the obvious choice for the #1 jersey, with Andreas Arestidou providing 'competent' backup, although you could find better on the free agency market, although I didn't bother as he would be able to keep goal for me if Turner was to get an injury.

Target: None. Arestidou is more than a worthwile back-up to Turner.

Defenders

Defenders.png

Overview: The defence is pretty strong overall. At right-back you are fine with the attacking minded David Gray and young fledging Northern Ireland international Conor McLaughlin. At centre-back, the best defender in the squad, Clarke Carlisle, a life-long Lilywhite, is on-loan from Burnley. Brian McLean should slot in beside him, with Craig Morgan, Daniel Devine, who Reading like the look of in the game and a young Bailey Wright providing back-up. The centre-back position can be improved though. Left-back is a bit of a problem. There is only one recognised left-back in the team, that is Steven Smith, who is a bit of a sick-note. This needs addressing too.

Targets: At centre-half, Nyron Nosworthy from Sunderland would be a fantastic loan acquisation, and at left-back, Stephen Jordan is available on a Free Transfer.

Midfielders

Midfield.png

Overview: with the formation I would use, there are two cental-midfielders. North End have a host of players vying for these spots, in-fact I would maybe release Darel Russell and Ian Ashbee to lower the wage bill. Paul Coutts is the star man in the middle, and at the start of the game, commands interest from Norwich, Derby and Burnley. Providing you don't sell him for a good fee (around £500k), he should be the star man in there. Barry Nicholson and Adam Barton should fight to be the other starter, with the likes of Ashbee, Russell and Graham Alexander as back-up. The right-wing seems fine. New Jamaican starlet Keammar Daley should start here, and there is a future star as back-up with Danny Mayor waiting in the wings. Jamie Proctor and star striker Iain Hume can also play here. On the left is the real problem. Paul Parry is the only natural left-winger at the club, and a loan signing would inject some pace into that flank.

Targets: The Tottenham winger Andros Townsend is a lively and talented player who would be perfect for the role. Failing that, Ravel Morrison from Manchester United can play on both wings and it equally as skillful.

Strikers

Forwards.png

Overview: To tell you the honest truth, there aren't a lot of striker options for Preston North End. Iain Hume, the canadian vice-captain, is arguably the star of the frontline and the whole team. Neil Mellor should partner him, but to be honest, I would sell him for around £200k or less, and bring in a Premier League loan striker. Then you have young strikers Juvhel Tsoumou and Jamie Proctor. Tsoumou is a Congolese born German, and Proctor is the local lad. Both are decent in League One and will definately get better in the coming years. I have found Tsoumou to be great back-up for the team.

Targets: I did look at Nile Ranger from Newcastle, but I think Chris Wood from West Bromwich Albion is a better shout. Better Finishing and Heading, could be a star for a season in League One.

Reserve and Youth Squad/Club Staff

Reserve Squad

Reserves.png

Overview: The reserve squad has some pretty promising and exciting players there. You see a few players with 3 and 3 and a 1/2* ratings there, but the standouts are Australian centre-half Bailey Wright and local winger Danny Mayor. I would probably draft Mayor into the first-team as cover for Keammar Daley, and if you get a few injuries at centre-half, young Bailey has what it takes to be competent at League One level in the first season.

Youth Team

academy.png

Overview: To be honest, the under 18's squad isn't great this year. In the past few years there have been a lot of standout players, but this year really, only Doyle Middleton stands out. He will be a fantastic midfielder in the next 5-10 years. Will be playing at Championship level at-least. The next best youth players, striker Brandon Zibaka and winger Will Hayhurst don't come close, although in my first season, Zibaka grew quite a bit and become the first-teams youngest scorer ever.

Club Staff

StaffatSrat.png

The staff at the start of the game are not the best. I would only consider keeping the Assistant Manager Brian Horton, although he commands a high wage for a League One team, at £2k a week. The rest of the staff are pretty naff, but I kept Darren Finch as a youth coach because he has pretty good coaching stats for Defending.

StaffIhired.png

So I reformed my coaching staff completely. The training levels are all between 3* to 3.5*, some of my younger players are making great progression. The scouts also pick up on some great players.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Started a save as unemployed and sunday league manager 2 days ago and immediately got a very impressive offer from second division side karlsruhe after an unsuccessful season in charge i decided after 5 games into the second season to resign from karlsruhe and attempt to rebuild my reputation (i was still an unknown manager and had a terrible win rate of about 6 in 20 games)

I received a few job offers from the blue square premier including kidderminster and bath but rejected both in an attempt to hold out for a team that appealed to me a bit more.

I was in complete shock when i received news of the sacking of gareth southgate from preston and i had been linked with the job despite me being unknown in england. 2 days later preston approached me with a contract offer till 2015, no surprise that i bit their arms off and agreed the deal instantly.

When i took over the team were still in league one and in 12th place with a team completely destroyed of any morale. Now in april of the second season i have improved the team up to 3rd place and brought a confidence into the team with the exception of a couple of players who still dont have faith in me despite having a 14-4-4 record since taking over.

Not long left of the season now and i hope to get promotion to the championship in my first season at the club :)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just fired up a Preston save. Currently it's mid Jan and I'm third, 5 points behind Tranmere Rovers with a game in hand. I only bought one player after selling Neil Mellow (as a Red it broke my heart), Nick Powell. Brought in a ton of loanees though. The Preston squad at the start is really bloated and frankly not up to snuff. I'll post a end of season report once I finish the year.

Archived