The Purity Of English Football Challenge

Originally posted by chopra_hill:

My squad.

Stephen Ireland just came back from a broken leg so might be able to rest some players now.

Transfers in and out.

Got Vaughan coming next season for 15 mil. I was given a budget of 52 million odd.

Table so far.

My most pleasing results have been 4-1 at home to chelsea, 4-0 v Aston Villa away, 4-0 v West Ham away. I'm out of the league cup, having been beaten by West Ham. Through to the fourth round of the fa cup after beating Woking.

Let's hope this works.

Hmmm ... Samaras is out on loan to Celtic when I started the game.

Joe Hart's my number one, and my backup is Stuart Taylor. I don't intend to use Schmechiel(sp?) because of his high tendency to punch. Anyway, I was about to sign Doyle until I found Vaughan who I thought would develop better. Going to load up FM icon14.gif

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nch isn't Schmeciel danish? Or is he your non english player? And yeh, that's random why Samaras wasn't on loan aswell but i'm definately using the new patch icon_confused.gif

Yup he's danish with an English second nationality. But I don't use him as backup GK, I use Taylor.

Currently 5th at 56 points after 31 games. Liverpool's behind me by 1 point.

Oh, if they have second nationality English I can use them then?

Just beat Chelsea 2-0 at Stamford Bridge \0/

Actually out played them with more shoits and possession aswell, not just a lucky win \0/

With 5 games to go i'm in 4th, a point ahead of Liverpool, and 4 points ahead of Everton.

I have some tricky games left though, Tottenham and Man Utd away aswell as Everton at home.

Originally posted by kroblues:

Get In!

I beat P'Boro in the 3rd Rd of the Cup, and guess what the 4th round draw is....

Man Utd or Arsenal v Shrewsbury Town

Woohoo \o/

The replay finished 4-1 to Arsenal, so I'm going to the Emirates.

I've also just spent 150k on my foreign slot, a mifielder from Sunderland by the name of Arnau, who is rated as good enough for the Championship

End of season 1 - Man City

Got 4th \0/

Got it with a couple of games to go in the end, really pleased with that, hopefully I get a load of cash to spend.

Final table

Final squad

Signed Sidwell at the end of the January window for 3 million. Happy with that. Quite a full squad at the end aswell considering I couldn't fill the bench at the start. In the summer i'll have to get some cover for defence, I was really lucky I got no injuries to any of them as it would have really weakened us playing a reserve there. Also need another decent striker although James Vaughan is already coming. Midfield is pretty strong although I keep getting offers for Johnson, Ireland and Bentley icon_mad.gif

Doyle won the top scorer award with 25 goals and Elano and him were named in the team of the year.

Bring on the champions league!

Kroblues, Shrewsbury Town 08/09 Pre-Playoff update

So, I finished 6th in League 1, largely down to Ched Evans, who scored 51 goals, 46 in the league. Unfortunately he's injured for at least the Semi-Final games.

My Fa Cup game against Arsenal could have gone much worse, I'll take a 3-0 defeat with a £1.2million increase to my balance.

I'll keep you posted with my playoff results, I have Nottingham Forest first.

End of Season 1 - Man City (nch)

Finished 6th! Could have achieved 4th if not for losing the last two matches, against Chelsea and Liverpool.

Manager Profile

EPL Final Table

Final Squad

If Schmeichel is allowed to play, I would have 3 keepers which is more than enough.

Defenders wise, considering a decent Danny Mills will return I think it would be enough.

I do have quite a lot of midfielders but I lack a DM and a backup LM. Perhaps I will find a versatile player.

I have 2 strikers - Vaughan and Ched Evans, and can play Elano there. Think I would sell Vassell and use Sturridge.

Kroblues, End of Season Update, Shrewsbury Town 08/09

07/08- League 2- 2nd (Promoted)

08/09- League 1- 6th (Lost in Playoffs)

Cups:

League Cup- 1st Rd (0-3 QPR)

JP Trophy - S 2nd (4-5 Leyton Orient)

Fa Cup - 4th Rd (0-3 Arsenal)

My undoubted star of the season was Ched Evans, who scored over 50 goals, and without him in the playoffs, we really suffered, struggling to even create chances.

We were in 3rd for a long time in the league, but we began to fall away towards the end of the season, but still finished well within the playoffs.

My transfers were mostly made up of frees and loans, the only significant fee being for Arnau, who was signed in January from Sunderland, filling my overseas slot. He really made a difference, lifting me from 7th to 3rd, scoring twice and setting up 6 goals in the process. He also made me a lot more solid defensively.

Transfers

Squad

Johann Smith has English as second nationality

Table

Kroblues, Shrewsbury Town, August Transfer Window Update 09/10

07/08-League 2- 2nd (Promoted)

08/09-League 1- 6th (Playoff loss)

09/10-League 1- 1st (current)

The first time in my career so far that I have not turned a profit in the transfer window, mostly down to the 700k spent on Wedderburn, a 17 year old DM from Stoke, and 130k spent on Ruddy, Everton's 22 year old GK. I offset this slightly by selling Welsh to Crewe and a few others for small fees.

Transfers

I have had a great start in the league, notably in the defensive side of the game, probably down to my new keeper and defensive loanees. Mellor also has 4 goals in his 5 starts.

Table

My squad is again, all British/Irish, with Smith (Eng 2nd) and Arnau (Spanish) my only "foreign" nationals.

January Transfer Window

The one I was most dreading happened, the chairman accepted a 14m offer from Liverpool and off he went icon_mad.gif

They were mainly transfers for the future (Bostock, Rodgers and Yeates) although i did pick up a unhappy Steve Sidwell for 2.8m

jantransfersas1.th.png]Transfers[/url]

The first manager to get sacked was Martin 0'Neil mid-way through december, they hired Vincente Del Bosque as his replacement.

A poor run of form has left us 8th in the league so our only chance of Europe is from the FA cup, having fallen out of the UEFA cup at the first hurdle, and the league cup to West Ham, after beating Arsenal as well!

squadoo0.th.png]Squad[/url]

Well!! what a turnaround,

I scraped a 1-0 win over liverpool earlier in the season using a Jose Mourinho style tactic.

but in the last two games I've beaten Chelsea 2-0 (league) and Liverpool 2-1 (FA cup) the season might not be a complete waste after all I'm now only 6 points off a UEFA cup spot icon_smile.gif

Aston Villa have now sacked Vincente Del Bosque after only 60 days in charge icon_eek.gif his record was,

Pl: 12 Won:4 Drawn:5 Lost:3

wonder if it was because he bought Darren Bent for 11m from me! icon_biggrin.gif

End of season 1 - Man City

Got 4th \0/

Got it with a couple of games to go in the end, really pleased with that, hopefully I get a load of cash to spend.

Final table

Final squad

Signed Sidwell at the end of the January window for 3 million. Happy with that. Quite a full squad at the end aswell considering I couldn't fill the bench at the start. In the summer i'll have to get some cover for defence, I was really lucky I got no injuries to any of them as it would have really weakened us playing a reserve there. Also need another decent striker although James Vaughan is already coming. Midfield is pretty strong although I keep getting offers for Johnson, Ireland and Bentley icon_mad.gif

Doyle won the top scorer award with 25 goals and Elano and him were named in the team of the year.

Bring on the champions league!

That's a great return of points for the squad first season - Well done icon14.gif

A 1-1 draw isn't enough, so we're out of the playoffs.

Now for next year, and auto promotion (hopefully)

Unlucky - you should be able to build on it and if you can keep Ched Evans for next season (on loan?) then you will no doubt get promoted, great stuff icon14.gif

Kroblues, Shrewsbury Town, August Transfer Window Update 09/10

08/09-League 1- 6th (Playoff loss)

09/10-League 1- 1st (current)

The first time in my career so far that I have not turned a profit in the transfer window, mostly down to the 700k spent on Wedderburn, a 17 year old DM from Stoke, and 130k spent on Ruddy, Everton's 22 year old GK. I offset this slightly by selling Welsh to Crewe and a few others for small fees.

Transfers

I have had a great start in the league, notably in the defensive side of the game, probably down to my new keeper and defensive loanees. Mellor also has 4 goals in his 5 starts.

Table

My squad is again, all British/Irish, with Smith (Eng 2nd) and Arnau (Spanish) my only "foreign" nationals.

Looking good there, 2.5 GPG against the 0.5 conceded! Keep it up!

Originally posted by SuperCupra:

Well!! what a turnaround,

I scraped a 1-0 win over liverpool earlier in the season using a Jose Mourinho style tactic.

but in the last two games I've beaten Chelsea 2-0 (league) and Liverpool 2-1 (FA cup) the season might not be a complete waste after all I'm now only 6 points off a UEFA cup spot icon_smile.gif

Aston Villa have now sacked Vincente Del Bosque after only 60 days in charge icon_eek.gif his record was,

Pl: 12 Won:4 Drawn:5 Lost:3

wonder if it was because he bought Darren Bent for 11m from me! icon_biggrin.gif

José Mourinho style tactic? Care to elaborate icon_biggrin.gif

Del Bosque! Worse then Allardyce, surely 17 points from 12 games is enough to keep your job after two months?!

What round of the FA you now in? Must be quite late?

Originally posted by thezogsageordie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kroblues:

A 1-1 draw isn't enough, so we're out of the playoffs.

Now for next year, and auto promotion (hopefully)

Unlucky - you should be able to build on it and if you can keep Ched Evans for next season (on loan?) then you will no doubt get promoted, great stuff icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Strangely, even though I'm one of his favourite clubs, I have a higher rep than last season (guessing there, I'd assume so based on predicted position), and I'm higher in the league, he is rejecting my offers. Nevermind though, I've bought back a star of Season 1, Jason Kennedy, on loan.

I went out in the next round to chelsea 1-0, I had a goal disallowed as well icon_mad.gif

My jose style tactic was to score a goal early on,

(40 seconds against liverpool and 11 minutes against chelsea) then just went ultra defensive with time wasting on max, and counter attack on.

I wont lie it wasn't pretty to watch but it worked icon_biggrin.gif

2 games left of the season will post update in a minute.

I went out in the next round to chelsea 1-0, I had a goal disallowed as well icon_mad.gif

My jose style tactic was to score a goal early on,

(40 seconds against liverpool and 11 minutes against chelsea) then just went ultra defensive with time wasting on max, and counter attack on.

I wont lie it wasn't pretty to watch but it worked icon_biggrin.gif

2 games left of the season will post update in a minute.

I used that approach last season icon_biggrin.gif got me a few 1-0's particularly against Liverpool and Chelsea, watching makes you really nervous.

Kroblues, Shrewsbury Town 09/10 Half-way update

08/09-League 1- 6th (Playoffs)

09/10-League 1- 2nd (Current)

Cups:

League Cup- 1st Rd (0-1 Rotherham)

JP Trophy - S 1st (2-3 Bristol R)

Fa Cup - 3rd Rd (Home v Cardiff)

I wasn't defeated in the league until Mid-September, which was a 2-1 loss to Gillingham. I haven't been lower than 4th all season, which was when I had 2 games in hand due to postponements. Southend seem to be running away with it, but it is very tight between me, Colchester and Bristol City. Crewe were also close by, but have fallen away slightly. Surprisingly, my last defeat was to Southend, at the end of October, and since then, I have won 7 out of 10.

Table

Mellor is my top scorer, but unlike past seasons, it is quite close for the race for the Shrewsbury golden boot, as Mellor only has 12, while Kennedy has 8.

Squad

Spurs end of season report 07/08

transfers0708endvf3.th.png]Transfers[/url]

The main problem would be the midfeild after the likes of Malbranque, Zokora and Tainio were sold off,

but I managed to get Bentley for 12M, Mat Etherington for 4.7m and at the end of January signed Jimmy Bulard for 7.25m.

The other problem was going to replace Berbatov, Kevin Doyle got 15 in 33 and Alan Smith scored 14 in 21 helped when the Bulgarian left for Liverpool in Jan

My squad now looks like this

nationalites0708endjv8.th.png]Squad[/url]

Season

It wasn't my best season I finished 8th 8 points behind Man city in seventh, out of all the cups.

UEFA Cup 1st round.

League Cup 4th round

FA Cup 6th round

Managerial Merry go-round

There was 3 sackings in the first season with Villa twice changing there man they ended up 17th just 3 oints off the drop.

Middlesbrough provided the other one with Roland Nillson taking charge

Kroblues, Shrewsbury Town 09/10 update

09/10-League 1- 1st (Promoted)

Cups:

League Cup- 1st Rd (0-1 Rotherham)

JP Trophy - S 1st (2-3 Bristol R)

Fa Cup - 5th Rd (1-4 Reading)

Promotion! In the end it wasn't even close, as I secured promotion with 3 games left, then won the title next game. It says something about my defence, that even when Ruddy was injured, I still wasn't beaten. The Fa Cup was again a success, and the 4-1 defeat to Reading was a bit misleading, as I just couldn't put the chances away, while they finished every attack with a goal.

Table

Mellor, despite what I said earlier, ran away with my top scorer title, scoring 30 goals, and no one could challenge him once Kennedy's loan ended in January. I now have a few players worth over £1 million, which is a first for this game, and at the start of April, Smith was worth 750k, he is now worth 1.2 million

Squad

This season also saw my first Million pound purchase, McCord, an AM from Burnley. Mellor was named signing of the season, not a bad return for a free transfer.

Transfers

Kroblues, Shrewsbury Town, 10/11 Aug Transfer Window Update

09/10-League 1- 1st (Promoted)

10/11-Championship- 11th (Current)

So then, a decent start to life in the Championship, as I am currently mid-table, and through to the League Cup 2nd Rd for the first time.

My foreign player Arnau left to join Sheffield United as he couldn't agree a new contract. This allowed me to bring in a new foreigner, Pedro, a Brazillian DL/AMLC on loan from Arsenal.

Squad Table

I have bought in Sylvain Ebanks-Blake again after his loan spell, this time on a permanent deal for 300k, while shipping out some of my back up players. Also, Kennedy is back! This time on a season long loan as I don't have enough of a transfer budget to sign him, yet.

Transfers

sorry, lost interest in this on the weekend.

I strengthend my team but got knocked out the champions league in the qualifying round by Rangers. Didn't mind that as kind of expected it but after 6 games I was bottom 3 with 1 win, 1 draw and 4 losses.

My tactics just suddenly stopped working, ****ed me off a bit and I stopped playing but will hopefully get back to it in a few days.

might give this a go, might try sunderland, out of interest is it only one foreigner can play all season or only one foreigner per match team?

For example could i play Jones and when hes injured play Prica or do i need to choose at start which will feature?

I'm thinking sunderland may work with,

Gordon

Bardsley

Harte

Higginbotham/McShane

Evans

Richardson

Reid

Liam Miller

Whitehead

Chopra

Jones (foreginer)

so can get somewhere with no signings but i think a real right winger and perhaps a better goal scorer might be useful.

probably wont start till tomorrow evening though as it is nearly midnight so not in best position ot be thinknig about good transfers.

Originally posted by BlackCats Rule:

Ok so ive started as sunderland its waaay harder than i thought lol. But my problem was my signigns were late signings so first few games i played with only the original eligible players.

Transfers:

transferssb2.th.jpg

Profile:

profileengchallengehw4.th.jpg

Squad:

squadenglishendom4.th.jpg

The general consensus seems to be that this is so much harder then I originally planned - good luck though, Victor Moses is quality icon14.gif

Hi Guys,

going as tough as i thought with Arsenal, i managed to sell all my foreigners bar my allowed one (im keeping Van Persie) but getting replacments is near impossible - Man City wanted £70m for Richards!!

i have brought the following -

Joleon Lescott - 13m

David Bentley - 12m

Kevin Doyle - 11.5m

Steven Taylor - 12m

Giles Barnes - 10m

Joe Hart - 13m

Michael Owen - 28m

Micahael Johnson - 30m

John Bostock - 500k

Tom Soares - 2m

Aaron Ramsey - 1.6m

Joe Mattock - 500k

Victor Moses - 1.8m

Ian Walker - 230k

Ugo Eghiogo - 200k

Joe Ledley - £5m

No they don't for some reason? I gave up on Owen at about 20m and went for Alan Smith + Bobby Zamora

Everyone rates Smith, I personally don't but he normally does a good job for me, I think it's because what he's like IRL! Can't doubt his commitment though.

After eight games the league had started to settle down... until a slightly mad weekend

Everton beat Arsenal 2-1

The mighty Spurs ( icon_biggrin.gif) beat Man UTD 3!-0

and most unbelievable Newcastle beat Chelsea 4-2

The League leads to more depressing reading..

madleagueqv8.th.png]League[/url]

Right no half way update because I forgot, so here's the full season update

Kroblues, Shrewsbury Town, Championship 10/11 Update

07/08-League 2-2nd (Promoted)

08/09-League 1-6th (Playoffs L)

09/10-League 1-1st (Promoted)

10/11-CC Champ-6th (Playoffs L)

No Cup update, as I'm into the next season so can't check.

Ebanks Blake was by far my top scorer, with over 30 goals, and the signings made in January definately helped shore up my defence and provide a different attacking threat. I eventually sneaked 6th thanks to thrashing Watford on the last day, but I lost 4-1 on aggregate to Blackburn, who later got promoted.

Ruddy performed decently, and realistically I'm not going to be able to find someone better than him until I get to the Prem.

Squad

Table Transfers

Ebanks-Blake got sold over my head to Wigan icon_frown.gif For £3.6 million too, and he's worth £3.4 million, so I would've hoped £5 million would have been the cut-off for over-the-head sales (I have £8 million in the bank)

Originally posted by thezogsageordie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BlackCats Rule:

Ok so ive started as sunderland its waaay harder than i thought lol. But my problem was my signigns were late signings so first few games i played with only the original eligible players.

Transfers:

transferssb2.th.jpg

Profile:

profileengchallengehw4.th.jpg

Squad:

squadenglishendom4.th.jpg

The general consensus seems to be that this is so much harder then I originally planned - good luck though, Victor Moses is quality icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah sorry that save game corrupted itself because my computer crashed part way through but im gonna start again and go for the same people. but i will repost just incase theres difference, sorry bout that.

I'm having a few problems with imageshack at the moment, so I'll do an update without screenshots

Kroblues, Shresbury Town, 11/12 Half way Update

So then, I'm predicted for mid-table, and I offloaded a few key members of my squad for large-ish fees, namely Mellor (Doncaster 875k) and Conway (Brighton 1.7m). Most of my transfers were frees, with the only fee being 400k for Inverness' AM Andy King. My foreign sport is again a loanee, Gael Kakuta from Chelsea, an AM/ST.

Due to Ebanks-Blake being sold in September, I have begun phasing him out, replacing him with Lapira, who has 16 goals from 19 appearances. My defence has not been as solid, but as I have scored over 60 goals so far, it has not hindered me too much, as I am again hovering around the playoffs, but 6 points from the auto spots, and given my record in playoffs, I'm not too hopeful unless I can overhaul either Reading or Plymouth.

Archived